• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    We don't make a habit of this type of work but this belongs to a long time customer and it is the second one we have painted for him. He is 84 and is building this himself, I believe it is his 3rd or 4th build.

Cowling and small parts are fiberglass with no top coating like Gel coat so they have a lot of pin holes to contend with while trying to keep the weight of primers and paint to a minimum.

Few pics as we go

Man in the white shirt and black cap in the background is the owner

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Kit planes both fascinate and scare me. JUST enough structure to stay together (one hopes), and not so much that it can't fly. I mean, when you have to consider the weight of the paint, you are living on the edge!

With the cloth/fabric bodied airplanes, the paint is actually part of the structure. :nailbite:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I bet that thing was a b!^ch to land. Did they set down in Lowe's parking lot and taxi in to your place?? ;)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Kit planes both fascinate and scare me. JUST enough structure to stay together (one hopes), and not so much that it can't fly. I mean, when you have to consider the weight of the paint, you are living on the edge!

With the cloth/fabric bodied airplanes, the paint is actually part of the structure. :nailbite:

The plane has a weight rating, the more weight I put on it is the less stuff he can take with him. His last plane was, from what I hear a rocket. But at 84 they would not renew his license to fly it so this is more of a cruiser

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    He would be glad to do that...but I don't fly
    I love to fly. I love being in stunt planes while they do all the stunts too. Had a guy who used to use the country landing strip next to my old house near St. Joeph IL, Rudy Frasca. He used that field to avoid causing problems with onlookers at his field closer to town. He took me up a few times in his old WWII warplanes and it was a gas. I loved it. I guess most folks lose their lunch but I loved the feeling of weightlessness or the extra G's yo felt during other maneuvers. He was world rnouned for his abilities and it was a crying shame when he was jukked too. IDK if all that made the news down here but I remeber it and still wish I cold have done something for him because they suspect suicide since he was an expert and it appears he fell out of his harness because he failed to secure a few straps.

impmouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    with no gel top coat , must have been challenging thing to keep the pin holes from showing up ... did you have to glaze the whole piece or heavy 2 part primer

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Man Allen, you do crappy work! :)

That looks awesome! Do you think you can get some pics once it's all put together?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Son and I took a ride in one like that! It was AWESOME!
    2007%20plane006_zpshoj3xaja.jpg

2007%20plane002_zpsslejmhvc.jpg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    We've painted one before. Big ol white and purple thing. I think it was a kit deal. The owner wanted it perfect so we water sanded and buffed the whole thing. Took a while.

Top Bottom