• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhdoug

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    hancock county
    i've been in construction since about 1988 and almost every year as it heats up i wonder if there are any other "survival" ideas that i have not thought of or have not tried. water...drinks....lighter colors(clothes). i am not always outside but there are many times it is as hot or hotter in the buildings. hell i even bought a hardhat with "vents" a couple years ago while we were out at the new airport but come on....the old noggin still gets to cookin. appreciate if theres some good input, or even a smart*ss funny one.....indymonkey/printcraft???? later.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Dogs seem to like being in heat more than I.

hotdoll1.jpg

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    drink plenty of gatorade, leave the powerade stuff at home. Find a sponge w/ a rubberband that is used for a headband and don't soak it in water cuz it tricks you body into not sweating as much then you will overheat. but the sponge will soak up the sweat and keep it out of your eyes. light loose fitting clothes w/ an extra t-shirt underneath actually keep me cooler too. at my work we are not allowed to wear sleeveless shirts or shorts.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    bandana. i wear one all summer. when i had long hair i wore one year round. but keeping the sweet from your eyes is helpfull. you kind of look like a idiot but it works.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    A soaked neck roll. Works wonders to keep you cooler. They sell fancy ones you can freeze, but a good torn up cotton t shirt soaked in water will make you feel 10 degrees cooler.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    If Im woking in the heat, no alcohol the day before. I take 2 to 3 shirts to rotate them through out the day. Drink water only, dont need the expensive sports drinks.

I also hydrate the day before and drink water before I am thirsty when I am working.

I dont wear hats.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    A soaked neck roll. Works wonders to keep you cooler. They sell fancy ones you can freeze, but a good torn up cotton t shirt soaked in water will make you feel 10 degrees cooler.
    ya until your body stops sweating and you get heat stroke......been there done that don't ever wanna go there again.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I just cowboy up and sweat my arse off!
    Potassium pills and cut down Gatorade. Usually 50/50.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you down the sports drinks, you really need to alternate a sports drink with a bottle/glass of water.

Otherwise you really can overload yourself with electrolytes, calories, and sugars. The sugar in the drinks will leave you more thirsty. (high blood glucose means that your body pumps cellular water out of the cells and into the blood stream to even things out) Less cellular water = bad.

I HIGHLY recommend the G2 or Powerade Zero. It has enough electrolytes but without all the sugar.

I know you have to wear a hard hat. I did too for my 4.5 years with INDOT.

A water soaked washcloth / bandanna will work wonders.
    If you can tuck it under the back rim of the hard hat or the support band and let it cover your neck, that'd be fantastic to help keep you cool.

-J-

dhdoug

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    hancock county
    thanks indyguy77..i've wondered about the diff drinks i get sometimes and if they are all the same or not(effects). and ironjaw.......that was funny. especially for you :) .thanks y'all

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I drink a lot of water to stay hydrated and can't use sugar drinks as I'm a diabetic and wear a light colored long sleeved shirt, look at how the people dress in the hot parts of the world and wear a wide brimmed hat to keep from frying your brain along with covering the back of your neck work for me.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Out in the sun... white hat w/ wide brim. If it's not dark underneath then paint the underside of the brim with flat black paint. White long sleeve shirts, good for ticks too, white painter pants. Blue sponge type headbands under hat and soak both in water off and on to cool and keep sweat off my glasses.

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    I drink a lot of water to stay hydrated and ....... wear a light colored long sleeved shirt, look at how the people dress in the hot parts of the world and wear a wide brimmed hat to keep from frying your brain along with covering the back of your neck work for me.

I was gong to go here with the light, and light-colored shirt for those time when " I've had enough sun, as I usually , and obviously, need to tough out time in the sun,and it workes/worked for me when I'm doing construction type labor.

I am out................ in the sun :cool:

Top Bottom