Originally, 12-year-old destroys mothers house after she takes his phone.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Our brains can't handle as much stimulation as our society is providing now. It's so much harder on the kids who are still developing.

I think there is something in our food chain or some other exposure that is causing abnormal brain chemistry in kids. Way more autism and behavioral kids than there should be, and you can't just blame parents.

Something seems to be going on.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Our brains can't handle as much stimulation as our society is providing now. It's so much harder on the kids who are still developing.

I think there is something in our food chain or some other exposure that is causing abnormal brain chemistry in kids. Way more autism and behavioral kids than there should be, and you can't just blame parents.

You don't blame it all on screen time that seems to be the popular cause that you hear on TV?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You don't blame it all on screen time that seems to be the popular cause that you hear on TV?
    No way. But it does make me sad when six month olds sit in the ER staring at ipads.

Kids whine and scream when they don't have a device in their hands.

I think screens contribute and make behavior worse, but they're not causing autism.

Interesting the countries with highest prevalence are all middle east, except Sweden, if this data is to be trusted

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    No way. But it does make me sad when six month olds sit in the ER staring at ipads.

I think screens contribute and make behavior worse, but they're not causing autism.

Interesting the countries with highest prevalence are all middle east, except Sweden, if this data is to be trusted

That is interesting. Looks like some genetic predisposition perhaps?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That is interesting. Looks like some genetic predisposition perhaps?
    Twin studies are a great way to look at that. How common is a condition in identical twins vs non-identical twins.

With autism it's very highly correlated with identical twins.

Seems like genetic predispositon plays a role.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Im a firm believer that poor parenting skills across the economic scale is a huge portion of the problem with children growing up, and not just todays autistic children,
    All children.
    One of my sisters stepson is autistic/down, Matthews a completely different 20+ year old young man depending on who is around and what he can get away with.
    Im a believer with most human behavior, is a learned behavior.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Im a firm believer that poor parenting skills across the economic scale is a huge portion of the problem with children growing up, and not just todays autistic children,
    All children.
    One of my sisters stepson is autistic/down, Matthews a completely different 20+ year old young man depending on who is around and what he can get away with.
    I think diet plays a role also. Constant sugar.

Clean eating can go a long way to helping kids with behavior issues. But trying to get a defiant kid to eat healthy Is probably a fight the parents don't have any more energy left for.

There are a lot of 20-30 year olds getting food stuck in their esophagus from eosinophilic esophagitis. Something is causing a lot of inflammation in our GI tracts and it's not good.

I'm not some wacko new age doc either.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I think diet plays a role also. Constant sugar.

Clean eating can go a long way to helping kids with behavior issues. But trying to get a defiant kid to eat healthy Is probably a fight the parents don't have any more energy left for.

There are a lot of 20-30 year olds getting food stuck in their esophagus from eosinophilic esophagitis. Something is causing a lot of inflammation in our GI tracts and it's not good.

I'm not some wacko new age doc either.
    And I also agree, the changes go back 100's of years with food intake. The wealthy had sugar and sweets were by and large fat with no teeth. The poor, skinny with teeth.
    Clean earing is expensive in todays society.
    My younger son is a very clean eater, his older brother is not so much.

Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

In the late 1990’s seems like everyone in the Fishers school system had their kids in ritilen. Those people are now having kids. Coincidence? As I have stated more than once, there is no such thing as a coincidence.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Could it possibly be that it’s directly linked to McDonald’s being the busiest restaurant in town around 5 in the evening? I’m a firm believer that that **** is poison!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Could it possibly be that it’s directly linked to McDonald’s being the busiest restaurant in town around 5 in the evening? I’m a firm believer that that **** is poison!
    I’ve been saying that for a good 10-15 years now. All anybody has to do is look at the shape of a lot of kids today, not “can they run a mile” shape, but their actual shape.

Kids did not look that way in the 60s and 70s and most of the 80s.

If the healthcare industry thinks it’s overwhelmed now, what’s it gonna be like when the young ones hit their 30s and 40s?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I’ve been saying that for a good 10-15 years now. All anybody has to do is look at the shape of a lot of kids today, not “can they run a mile” shape, but their actual shape.

If the healthcare industry thinks it’s overwhelmed now, what’s it gonna be like when the young ones hit their 30s and 40s?
    its going to look like profits

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Truth brother. When I was in school, elementary or high (graduated hs in '77), there was always "the fat kid". Go by any school nowadays, he's not alone.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It can. I was fortunate enough to have never needed it.
    My mother said she never got a spanking, she said she seen what her brothers got and that was enough.
    However, I got about one a day on a good day :)
    I was disobedient, hard headed, and ornery. I was into everything and I deserved them all and a few more that she didn't catch.
    Now if I had done something that really got her irritated she told dad when he got home and I got another one.
    They never took their thumb off me and I'm thankful for it. If they were lazy and weak minded parents like many today I'd probably have ended up in prison, or dead.
    I lived under their roof and they enforced their rules.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Beat the mentally ill? Ever had a mentally ill child threaten to kill you and your wife while you slept? No? Then STFU.
    The mentally ill need to have boundaries established and discipline too, often more so than others. Many of the behavioral problems demonstrated by mentally ill children are a direct result of a lack of boundaries and discipline.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    All children.
    My wife works in mental health care and she sees children with behavioral problems on a weekly if not daily basis. In her previous position it was multiple times per day. While there was underlying physical and mental issues with the vast majority of them, those issues were almost universally exacerbated by parents that failed to create expectations, establish boundaries and enforce discipline.

Poor or nonexistent parenting is/was so prevalent that acronym "FUP"(F'd Up Parents) became the standard informal, diagnosis to describe the situation and was almost always a discussion point when the care team was deciding on the best course of treatment.

Top Bottom