• ...and so much more!
  • mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Hello All,

The 1911 addiction is still growing and I am trying to decide what my next one will be. Currently I have a few Wilson Combats and a Custom Fusion. I have had many others from high-end to mid-level brands.

Here is what I am considering so far for my next one, not in order of preference:

1. Springfield Professional
    2. Springfield Professional with rail
    3. Springfield Custom Shop Full Rail Operator
    4. Benchmark Precision Custom built Springfield Full Rail Operator

For some reason I am really liking the idea of getting a Springfield Professional. I have never seen a Professional in person...would really like to before buying one. I used to have a Springfield TRP Full Rail Operator until my buddy finally convinced me to sell it to him. So I am also liking the idea of getting the Custom Shop version of that gun too. While searching around, I ran across the Benchmark Precision version of the Springfield Full Rail Operator that looks pretty nice too.

Since I seem to sell or trade my guns more than I really should, resale value is high on the list of requirements. Professionals seem to almost never come up for sale, so resale on them is a no brainer. Also thinking that a Custom Shop Full Rail Operator would be pretty good too. But not really sure on the Benchmark Precision.

So what would you suggest? Also interested in other $3k unique options that I might have missed.

Thanks

Mark

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You'd be pleased with all of those.

You might also consider Nighthawk and Ed Brown. Most of those work really well from what I've seen.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I had a Nighthawk, ended up trading it for my first Wilson though...no complaints. I am eyeing one on Gunbroker with a damascus slide...that would be different...

Guncrafter...I had been toying with the idea of that one as well...might just have to look closer...

Mark

leakywaders

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    highland ind
    I think I would buy 5 different guns with 3000.00 instead of one. Does a 3000.00 1911 shoot better than a 600.00 1911? Im sure Tiger Woods can shoot a 65 with a set of 200.00 clubs from Walmart.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I think I would buy 5 different guns with 3000.00 instead of one. Does a 3000.00 1911 shoot better than a 600.00 1911? Im sure Tiger Woods can shoot a 65 with a set of 200.00 clubs from Walmart.

Having had a $600 1911 before, yes, I will say without a doubt, I can shoot my $3k guns better than I shot the $600 gun. Now if you start talking $1500 to $3k...not so much different in shoot ability but more of fit and finish. Kinda like the difference between a Corvettte and a Ferrari...both are great cars, but...

Mark

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Yes. That difference is perceptible. Whether it is worth the extra $2400 is in the eyes of the beholder.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Have been lucky enough to shoot many of the "production" customs including the Springer Pro. Very good gun but make sure you are OK with 20LPI checkering on the front strap, some find it a bit harsh.

At the end of the day I am not good enough to shoot the difference between a Wilson, My Les Baer or Oldham/Vickers full house custom or other 3K+ guns, but I can certainly feel the difference in how they function. Have looked at Benchmark myself and many think he is a rising star in the 1911 field.

If i were going with a non full custom, I think Wilson is still tops, not to slight other great guns. Personally I would go with a full custom perhaps from a smaller smith and have it built to my exact specs, problem with that is wait time.

Look at Harrison, beautiful work though BIG wait times.

My humble :twocents:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Have been lucky enough to shoot many of the "production" customs including the Springer Pro. Very good gun but make sure you are OK with 20LPI checkering on the front strap, some find it a bit harsh.

At the end of the day I am not good enough to shoot the difference between a Wilson, My Les Baer or Oldham/Vickers full house custom or other 3K+ guns, but I can certainly feel the difference in how they function. Have looked at Benchmark myself and many think he is a rising star in the 1911 field.

If i were going with a non full custom, I think Wilson is still tops, not to slight other great guns. Personally I would go with a full custom perhaps from a smaller smith and have it built to my exact specs, problem with that is wait time.

Look at Harrison, beautiful work though BIG wait times.

My humble :twocents:

Thanks for the input! I am good with the 20 lpi on the Professional, had that on my TRP Full Rail and it was aggressive, but not too much for me.

One of my Wilson's is a somewhat custom gun...it started as a Tac Elite (one of their early ones)...when I got it, I sent it to them to have it redone in the finish and sights I wanted. Was tempted to get it engraved, but did not go that far with it. My other 2 Wilson's are standard production guns with options on them, granted they are not common ones (Elite Pro and Carry Comp)...so I still consider them pretty unique.

I am looking for unique...does not have to be full house custom, but unique.

Finding info on Rob at Benchmark was difficult, not much out there. I am not that much in the know, but it sounds like he makes good guns. If he is an up and coming smith, then maybe worth the gamble. For the most part, many of the guns in my collection could easily be liquidated if the need would arise. I just don't really want to drop $3k on a custom 1911 that I can't sell if I need to for a reasonable loss....like if I had an emergency and had to sell a $3k gun, I would like to be able to get $2k plus back out of it. With the demand out there for the Springfield Pro guns, pretty sure I could do that easily...but I would really hope that would be the case for any quality high-end 1911.

Mark

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    So I looked around at Guncrafter at little...think I have one I really need to add to the list...the Model 2 in 50 GI...full rail and a 50 cal 1911...hmmm

Mark

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Well, finally made the decision and pulled the trigger on a Benchmark. Should have it later this week. Will post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Mark

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County

Homer_drool.jpg

That….is….SEX(Y)! I hate railed 1911's but LOVE the full rail operator for whatever reason.

Top Bottom