Operation 'Varsity Blues' - FBI uncover massive fraud in college entry exam scam

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lori Loughlin says she is 'more and more confident' that she won't be going to jail.

Hmm...

D6Ebfh8XkAAkho0.png:small

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Loughlin and her husband will be claiming that they did not know that paying for a consultant to help prepare their daughters to apply to college...which was all they were doing...was a crime. This all sound reasonable when put that way (though ignorance of the law is still no excuse...but may work with a jury)

Of course...

Lori1.png

Lori2.png

Lori3.png

Lori4.png

Lori5.png

Assuming that the affidavit was not made up out of whole cloth....I wish them a lot of luck.

I left out the portion about the recorded telephone calls saying that the "foundation" they paid $400,000 was being audited and that if asked any questions they should not mention anything about their "donations" being connected to admission to USC.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Felicity Huffman sentenced to 14 days in prison for federal crimes stemming from the massive "Varsity Blues" college entrance scam.

This should freak out Loughlin. Huffman immediately was remorseful and tried to make things right, and she's still going to jail for 14 days.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Well, there is also the fine, community service (which IS a big deal), and probably 6 figures paid to lawyers.

We love to shame others in this society, but we are not satisfied with shaming. Go figure.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, there is also the fine, community service (which IS a big deal), and probably 6 figures paid to lawyers.

We love to shame others in this society, but we are not satisfied with shaming. Go figure.

Well, forgive my lack of sympathy for someone that probably paid at least 5, if not 6 figures to give their kid an advantage over other kids that were arguably more deserving on their own merits rather than mommy and daddy's influence... or affluence. And community service a big deal? What does she have to do?

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    This isn't the crime of the century but the FBI felt it important enough to invest several million dollars into building a case against 40 people. Then the first person to plead guilty gets a sentence of 2 weeks, 250 hours of community service (probably will involve something grueling like making a PSA video or speaking at a charity luncheon) and a $30,000 fine (chump change in Hollywood).
    I wish the courts would tell the FBI to save their budget cause we won't give any real sentences to the glitteratti.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I remain amused that people value admission to USC so much that they'll pay tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands in bribes to get their kid accepted. It's just not that impressive. Stanford? UC Berkely? Harvard? Yale? Yeah, I get it, but USC? Not even remotely the same league.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This isn't the crime of the century but the FBI felt it important enough to invest several million dollars into building a case against 40 people. Then the first person to plead guilty gets a sentence of 2 weeks, 250 hours of community service (probably will involve something grueling like making a PSA video or speaking at a charity luncheon) and a $30,000 fine (chump change in Hollywood).
    I wish the courts would tell the FBI to save their budget cause we won't give any real sentences to the glitteratti.
    I wish the courts would tell them to spend their money and time investigating real crimes. All the organized crime we have in this country and they felt this was worth all of that time and money. :rolleyes:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wish the courts would tell them to spend their money and time investigating real crimes. All the organized crime we have in this country and they felt this was worth all of that time and money. :rolleyes:

Busting parents bribing colleges is easier and less likely to ruin their careers (or end their lives) than it would be to investigate real organized crime such as what has been happening in Washington, DC for decades.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Well, forgive my lack of sympathy for someone that probably paid at least 5, if not 6 figures to give their kid an advantage over other kids that were arguably more deserving on their own merits rather than mommy and daddy's influence... or affluence. And community service a big deal? What does she have to do?

Having graduated from the California university system, I can tell you that USC and UCLA don't mean a lot to anyone other than parents and alums. Advantage getting into a school? LOL. If you can't pass an SAT, the advantage disappears when classes start.....unless you really are in the sports program.

Top Bottom