Open Carry group educating the public... in Detroit... on MSNBC?!?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That vid is probably one of the best example of guys OC'ing rifles (which I typically dislike) explaining their message.

+1
    Just like there are many that may try to perform brain surgery, there are relative few actual brain surgeons that can actually do the job properly to affect a good outcome. I also disagree with OCing rifles in general... Only because most that do it are not able to handle themselves in a way that is perceived as positive to the cause, and articulate and intelligent enough to do so in a POSITIVE manner. Unfortunately the average OC advocate lacks the proper interpersonal skills to do what these guys are doing. (myself included).

To do it right you gotta be able to "work it" and "sell it" like this gentleman. The average guy shown doing it lacks said skills. You gotta be able to do more than simply smile and say "I disagree with your opinion. This is my right and I am exercising it. Suck it!"

To do this properly you need a person with enough facts, chutzpah, charm, and skill to be able to sell an ice cube to an Eskimo. Most well meaning Long gun OCers dont fit that bill.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    +1
    Just like there are many that may try to perform brain surgery, there are relative few actual brain surgeons that can actually do the job properly to affect a good outcome. I also disagree with OCing rifles in general... Only because most that do it are not able to handle themselves in a way that is perceived as positive to the cause, and articulate and intelligent enough to do so in a POSITIVE manner. Unfortunately the average OC advocate lacks the proper interpersonal skills to do what these guys are doing. (myself included).

To do it right you gotta be able to "work it" and "sell it" like this gentleman. The average guy shown doing it lacks said skills. You gotta be able to do more than simply smile and say "I disagree with your opinion. This is my right and I am exercising it. Suck it!"

To do this properly you need a person with enough facts, chutzpah, charm, and skill to be able to sell an ice cube to an Eskimo. Most well meaning Long gun OCers dont fit that bill.
    iknowright. Freedom should only look and sound good.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    iknowright. Freedom should only look and sound good.

I see you point, but when you want your case pled to the jury EFFECTIVELY do you want Guy Relford doing it, or do you trust some idiot who just THINKS he knows what he is doing? It's about the optics and efficacy.

Not saying it's not our right, just that most people aren't coherent enough to do more than just scare the crap out of the sheeple.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    +1
    I also disagree with OCing rifles in general... Only because most that do it are not able to handle themselves in a way that is perceived as positive to the cause, and articulate and intelligent enough to do so in a POSITIVE manner.

I have no inherent problem with OC of long guns. I would *prefer*, when carried for advocacy purposes, that they be slung over the back of the shoulder. But that's the thing about rights: as long as the carry method is *legal*, my preferences are subordinate to their freedom.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I see you point, but when you want your case pled to the jury EFFECTIVELY do you want Guy Relford doing it, or do you trust some idiot who just THINKS he knows what he is doing? It's about the optics and efficacy.

Not saying it's not our right, just that most people aren't coherent enough to do more than just scare the crap out of the sheeple.
    You know, the same arguments have been made about the abilities/intelligence of parents who homeschool. When yu start drawing lines to define what freedom can look like, it's no longer freedom.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Once again, not saying the act in and of itself is wrong. Far from it. Just that the expectation that BillyBob running around with his long gun not giving a damn what others think, and if the bystanders verbally challenge him they only get a "because its my right, dammit!" will help our cause by educating and converting those on the fence, and possibly antis.

Will I stand beside BillyBob too if he wishes to homeschool? Youbetcha! But when we start talking about how effective it will be changing the hearts and minds of those on the fence to against it, you cant say he is HELPING our cause.

CAN he do it? YES! Should we expect anything constructive to come of it? No.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Sure. And when the only acceptable <insert act of choice> is people who don't look like BillyBob, don't come *****ing to me that <insert act of choice> comes with ever smaller boundaries.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Once again, not saying the act in and of itself is wrong. Far from it. Just that the expectation that BillyBob running around with his long gun not giving a damn what others think, and if the bystanders verbally challenge him they only get a "because its my right, dammit!" will help our cause by educating and converting those on the fence, and possibly antis.

Will I stand beside BillyBob too if he wishes to homeschool? Youbetcha! But when we start talking about how effective it will be changing the hearts and minds of those on the fence to against it, you cant say he is HELPING our cause.

CAN he do it? YES! Should we expect anything constructive to come of it? No.

88GT is just being 88GT, she knows what you meant.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I was not trying to win the internet for the day and I did see the video I just think that there are better way to educate people on the right to carry a fire arm....I have been a hunter since I was 13 and been in the military. I do know how to field strip them, clean them and shoot them safely. I do shoot on a regular bases. Alot of people don't know their rights when they put on their weapon you have the right to carry in this state how you want that is a given but that is where your right might end. If you pull it you better be darn sure you have the right to use it. And you better hit what your threat is if you miss and hit someone else it will not go good for you. Guns are not a toy they are a tool you better know how and when to use it. Now look at the city they are doing it in Detroit the murder capital of the world. Again these are just my opinions.

Sonney

Noted.

...And us kids are getting off your lawn as we speak..!

GrampsCainer.gif

:): :ingo:

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    The number 1 thing I hear when I see a video online when an officer responds to someone open carrying is "people are calling in because they are scared."

At that point, I see many are able to ask if they are being detained and simply walk away. But what if the officer is in the mood to have you stay and chat and tries to disarm etc.

I just can't understand the sheep and the being scared at the sight of a mere firearm. I am more scared of the weapons I DON'T see, because I assume someone hiding a firearm and intending to do wrong with it will not be inclined to have it open.

Just my $0.02 after seeing that Open Carry video from MSNBC

Top Bottom