• Status
    Not open for further replies.

M9Hoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    NWI
    Just because the law says you can doesn’t mean you have to do something to prove a point. Restraint is the better part of valor. This is especially true when it comes to carrying a handgun in public. There are far more people in this country that do not like guns than do so why create a spectacle by walking around Cabela's or a restaurant or a movie theater with your gun exposed because you have the law on your side? Because you can doesn’t mean you should; you have to use common sense once in awhile .

That type of behavior is childish and reflects poorly on the vast majority of responsible gun owners. It is proper to wear a gun on your hip while hunting but not at the grocery store or bank or most other public places. You do not live in Dodge City back in 1870. It is this "in your face" display of a lack of consideration of others that make the non gun owners uncomfortable being around gun people and that is why we have to continue to fight for gun owners rights. There are a lot more of them than us; we are just better organized and represented through the NRA lobbyists. That could change.

You do realize you just opened a can of worms right?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just because the law says you can doesn’t mean you have to do something to prove a point. Restraint is the better part of valor. This is especially true when it comes to carrying a handgun in public. There are far more people in this country that do not like guns than do so why create a spectacle by walking around Cabela's or a restaurant or a movie theater with your gun exposed because you have the law on your side? Because you can doesn’t mean you should; you have to use common sense once in awhile .

That type of behavior is childish and reflects poorly on the vast majority of responsible gun owners. It is proper to wear a gun on your hip while hunting but not at the grocery store or bank or most other public places. You do not live in Dodge City back in 1870. It is this "in your face" display of a lack of consideration of others that make the non gun owners uncomfortable being around gun people and that is why we have to continue to fight for gun owners rights. There are a lot more of them than us; we are just better organized and represented through the NRA lobbyists. That could change.

Why are people concerned about being concealed?

Aside from any potential tactical advantage of surprise or avoiding the dreaded gun grab, IMHO I feel concealed carry does more overall harm than good when looking at the bigger picture. I typically carry concealed, but the older I get the more I think it is a politically correct and shameful thing to do, and I don't see any real tactical advantage to it either.

I say this for several reasons:

1) As Americans, we should be proud of our RIGHT to legally and responsibly carry. Most citizens around the world can't carry at all, and if we don't turn the tide against those Americans who find open carry to be "socially unacceptable" or "discomforting," we too soon shall join the rest of the world and you won't have to worry about concealing it. To me, concealing equates to slinking around almost shamefully, and amounts to no more than allowing the government and political correctness to subdue you to into being embarrassed that you carry. We are on the verge of no carry at all, and once they turn the corner on that, there's no going back.

Further you wrote that many more people dislike firearms than like them. I think that is a simple lie. Firearms exist in nearly 50% of the homes in the US and in poll after poll gun ownership is shown to be a right that people believe in.

2) Thousands of people in my county alone applied for carry permits. I would bet for most of them it's a knee-jerk reaction to our local crime scene, as well as it being their first time owning or handling a firearm. If for no other reason than I don't want a single inexperienced person who happens to have a "paper CCW" opening fire while I'm in range, these people need every opportunity we can give them to learn and discuss the seriousness of their undertaking. By openly carrying in public, we show them it's not shameful or sneaky to be armed, and for those who are interested, we get to discuss guns (yeah!) and educate them about ownership. Every wonder why people who conceal feel compelled to tell someone they see openly carrying that they too are carrying? It's our duty to inform and educate others about why we do, and how they too can learn to defend themselves.

3) From the crime reports we hear about daily in our local news, it's apparent that the thugs we have here living here have zero regard for human life. They'd just as soon kill you for fun as they would take your wallet. They're also not too bright to begin with. That being said, if they walk into a store and see five people and no guns, either they figure, "No one's armed" or "Maybe 2 out of 5 are armed" and they act, figuring they'll take their chances. In most cases, they're right - either the shoppers are not armed, or if they are the concealed carriers are sure keeping their guns hidden since all we hear around here is how the BG's get away all the time. Conversely, if the BG walks into to a store and sees three armed people, he's likely to choose easier game. If he does engage, then he'd forced to choose a first target. If he's successful with his first choice, the other should be able to take him out, or they shouldn't be carrying. In fact, if all three are true shepherds, then they should see what's about to happen before the BG makes his move.

4) Lastly, and I have no proof to back this up (except that I see and read that "most" people who carry have never been in a gunfight on the street), I have to conclude that no matter how you carry, the odds of being killed are very slim. If this is true, and we then assume you open carry, the odds of you getting killed because you didn't have the element of surprise or because someone took your gun away from you and used it on you, though perhaps slightly higher than if you had concealed, would still be extremely low. Therefore, we can conclude that your morning commute is probably more dangerous than open carrying, and that as a lawfully armed citizen you could take that risk and live your whole life doing a ton of good for others (see points # 1 and 2).
    Looking at various crime data, shooting reports, etc, its also apparent that 99.9% of the shootings we might be unlucky enough to be involved in would easily solved with a 5 shot revolver and there would likely be 3 unused rounds. So what is the point of carrying double stacked high capacity pistols and a couple back up mags?

But you suggest we shouldn't carry on our hip because it might offend someone or scare someone, perhaps someone in the grocery store or theater. Well sir, honest citizens are not scary. Consequently it may be better public relations, in the long term, to show people that gun owners are honest, friendly and not scary. Perhaps your theory is expedient in the short term but just plays into the liberal anti-gun political theory of the day and perhaps you have been shamed into hiding your gun ownership status? Perhaps if people stand up then it will be publicly acceptable again?

Lest we forget, a right un-exercised is a right lost.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    We have a lot of rights in this country we don't overdo.

Lest we forget, a right un-exercised is a right lost.

"First Amendment"
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Does the first amendments freedom of speech give me the right to walk up to a family in a public place and say to a wife or child “boy, your ugly? This individual might be the ugliest person in the city, and I have the right to free speech but there is a thing called respecting other people’s feelings. People have an expectation to go out and enjoy themselves without feeling uncomfortable. Keeping your gun concealed when out in public is just the courteous thing to do when around other people who might not have the passion for firearms you have.

I lived forty one years in New York State and living in Indiana with our liberal gun laws is a breath of fresh air and I hate to see it become more restricted due to the actions of a few individuals. I go to Cabela’s, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop, and other places that sell firearms and accessories and with the exception of local gun stores like PopGuns I have never seen anyone open carry yet I must assume there are a lot of gun carrying individuals in these stores.

I conceal carry ninety-five percent of the time I am outside my home and have done so since 1986 when I moved to Indiana. I respect the right of anyone to own and carry a gun ( I sell them for crying out loud) but I also believe people need to show restraint when out in public so as not to not make others feel uncomfortable around them. This is not a case of gun rights, (we already were given the right to bear arms) but how we exercise this right while respecting the rights of others.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    While I wouldn't go so far as to call someone's decision to OC childish, I will state that I don't believe it's prudent. Carrying a weapon is a responsibility that I don't feel that I need everyone to know about. Another reason I don't OC is because I don't want/need the attention that having a gun hanging off my belt would bring. I honestly believe that blending in is the most sound tactical decision, and I don't feel I need to point myself out or paint a target on me or my family.

To those that do decide to OC. Kudos to you for sticking to your decision. I don't feel that you need to defend your position since it is legally your right, but I'm not saying that I think your decision is the best, or I would be doing the same.

Everyone has their opinion, everyone is entitled to their opinion. No one has the right to belittle others just because they don't agree. While OC is legal, I simply don't think it's smart. My opinion. You don't like it? Too bad. Calling me names isn't going to change that.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

"First Amendment"
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Does the first amendments freedom of speech give me the right to walk up to a family in a public place and say to a wife or child “boy, your ugly?
    Yes it does.

But that has nothing do to with OC in a gun store that advocates gun rights. You are following Obama's example of changing the subject and avoiding the real issues. Its a common liberal tactic. I expect a higher standard from gun owners.

If you can't OC inside a store like Cabela's, which has a corporate policy of supporting gun rights, then where is it prudent to OC?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I have never considered concealing "the courteous thing to do" in public. If anything, I am at my most polite when carrying openly. I am aware that some will judge all gun owners by the few they see. I counter the thug on the evening news when I greet someone with a smile, hold a door, etc. (if they even notice the holstered firearm on my hip.)
    The few who know me and don't like guns have quite a dilemma. I am a good guy who carries an "evil" object responsibly. I've turned a few. Perhaps I've given others pause. I don't believe I have ever done our cause harm by exercising our right to carry openly.
    When I feel I have reason, I do cover it with my shirt. Printing is something I care more about when the ink is running low.:):
    If I plan to surprise someone and get the draw on them, I will conceal. It is the criminal choice for a reason. No, I am not calling anyone here criminal... just pointing out tactical similarities.;)
    OCers tend to fare better than CCers in all but the most hypothetical of situations. I am hedging my odds of completely avoiding a life threatening scenario and, as a courtesy, those around me.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I OC. I CC. I do whatever I feel like doing that particular day. I think it's "childish" for someone to tell others what they should or should not do. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and to carry how they please. It's not "common sense" to CC, and to look at it as so is closed minded.

Long story short, division=defeat for gun rights.

:twocents:

Oh and the "this isn't the wild west" argument is old and tired. Sounds a lot like the "The Second Amendment was written so long ago, it no longer applies. We're too advanced for that" argument.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I agree

If you can't OC inside a store like Cabala's, which has a corporate policy of supporting gun rights, then where is it prudent to OC?

[FONT=&quot]My point exactly! How about hunting, gun stores and ranges, and your own property for starters? My statement was not that O C is illegal, I am asking is it necessary or prudent in a store like Cabala's? My real concern was with the attitude expressed in the posts. From what I read he was out to prove a point and “educate the public” and I doubt he had any other reason to O C than to encourage an altercation in the store. [/FONT]

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Cabela's was probably last on his list of places an altercation would be expected based on their policy of support.:dunno:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    What are you saying?

And I doubt you carry a gun for any other reason than to just shoot someone. :n00b: :rolleyes:

[FONT=&quot]I would hope that and acting as a deterrent would be the ONLY reason a person carries a personal protection firearm; to have it available to defend yourself if need be.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]If you carry to show off to your friends and people in a store you have issues.[/FONT]

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Open carry at Cabela's I went to Cabela's in Hammond this past weekend with a buddy of mine to check out the reloading supplies. Walking up to the store I tucked in my shirt so I could open carry. While walking up to the store I was ribbing my buddy because he wasn't going to open carry.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    [FONT=&quot]I would hope that and acting as a deterrent would be the ONLY reason a person carries a personal protection firearm; to have it available to defend yourself if need be.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]If you carry to show off to your friends and people in a store you have issues.[/FONT]

You inferred that he only OCed to have a verbal confrontation. I infer that you carry a gun to shoot people. Unarmed, innocent people. And babies. I mean, the likeli hood of doing any good is almost nil, so you're just gonna kill an innocent person.

I don't think you should have the right to carry a gun at all, it's not civilized and we don't need them in this day and age.

Now, if that's how I really felt, the law's on our side, but you're saying that since YOU feel a certain way about OCing, it's childish and irresponsible?

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    You inferred that he only OCed to have a verbal confrontation. I infer that you carry a gun to shoot people. Unarmed, innocent people. And babies. I mean, the likeli hood of doing any good is almost nil, so you're just gonna kill an innocent person.I don't think you should have the right to carry a gun at all, it's not civilized and we don't need them in this day and age. Now, if that's how I really felt, the law's on our side, but you're saying that since YOU feel a certain way about OCing, it's childish and irresponsible?

Are you an IU Student?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

Sir, I used no foul language towards you and would expect the same from you. I do not understand your point of view, and you decide to try to belittle me in a PM? Those who know me, know I am nothing but respectful, you have shown your true colors. Don't agree with Michiana, you're a moron. You sir do nothing to further the rights of gun owners.

Oh, and here's the PM he sent me, bad form sir:
    It explains why you can't comprehend what I wrote, why you can't spell and why you talk like you have your head up your ass.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom