• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I am wanting a slug gun. Useful for deer hunting, zombie plinking, TEOFWAWKI, and possibly home defense.

The choices I am limiting myself to are 3 used guns in local stores. Your mission, should you care to accept it, is to voice and opinion on which is the better buy:

1) Remington 870 Express, 20" rifled barrel, receiver D/T for weaver rail, 2-7x scope, lightly used, $400.

2) Mossberg 500, combo, 20" rifled barrel & 28" screw in choke barrel w/3 choke tubes, lightly used, $250

3) Winchester 1300, cylinder bore, rifle sights, $150

Thanks, y'all!

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    I dont like it when a company replaces metal parts with plactic parts.
    I wont buy a new remington or Mossberg cause the ones I have now have metal parts where things are plastic on new guns. I dont know of problems from the plastic parts but I dont know of problems with the metal ones it replaced. Id be interested in knowing if Police and military 870's and 500's used the plastic parts or the older metal ones.

barrels are cheap so whatever gun you like balance and feel wise.

Remington has a killer barrel for the 870, Its 18" mod choked parkerized w/trijicon rifle sights. I love it and everyone who shoots my gun wants one.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If your shots aren't going to be over 100 yards I would go with the Winchester. This would give you the ability to shoot the cheaper rifled slugs, shoot slugs and buckshot out of the same barrel with no negative effects and would let you save some money. My second choice, or if shots may be a little longer than 100 yards my first choice, would be the Mossberg combo.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Slug Gun

Check out Dunhams Sporting goods stores and Wal mart
    They sell the combo Remington 870 with 2 barrells and Im pretty sure its under 400.00
    Remington will hold its resale value better than the Mossy and Winchesters
    not saying Remington is a better weapon they just hold there value better
    But I am a fan of the Remingtons myself

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Mossberg, I own the Mossy Oak 535 "Turkey" gun also came with a waterfowl barrel and a Red Dot scope (I use it as my slug barrel, until I find the slug barrel I want in stock). I would not trade my Mossberg for any Remington or Winnchester. Me on the right with my first bird ever taken with above gun.

85f6fb07_391e_4edb_adc8_639e35f72317_4_24_08_Eastern.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    I am wanting a slug gun. Useful for deer hunting, zombie plinking, TEOFWAWKI, and possibly home defense.

The choices I am limiting myself to are 3 used guns in local stores. Your mission, should you care to accept it, is to voice and opinion on which is the better buy:

1) Remington 870 Express, 20" rifled barrel, receiver D/T for weaver rail, 2-7x scope, lightly used, $400.

2) Mossberg 500, combo, 20" rifled barrel & 28" screw in choke barrel w/3 choke tubes, lightly used, $250

3) Winchester 1300, cylinder bore, rifle sights, $150

Thanks, y'all!

Id go with the Remington or Mosberg simply because there are tons of things available for them at a moments notice.

BTW, "Y'all"????????????????

You must be from the Kern river or Inyo county or something....

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    BTW, "Y'all"????????????????

You must be from the Kern river or Inyo county or something....

LMAO!!! No, not quite, but very close, just north of Inyo...Mono County, Bridgeport...that's where I grew up!

And really, blame the Hoosiers for the "y'all", y'all!!

And I bought a shotgun that wasn't on the list. I purchased a new H&R NEF Pardner Pumpr, plain wood stock and forearm, 28" barrel with modified choke tube, and a 22" rifled barrel.

No photos yet, mebbe tomorrow. Best part is, a magazine extender for the 870 will fit!

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    LMAO!!! No, not quite, but very close, just north of Inyo...Mono County, Bridgeport...that's where I grew up!

And really, blame the Hoosiers for the "y'all", y'all!!

And I bought a shotgun that wasn't on the list. I purchased a new H&R NEF Pardner Pumpr, plain wood stock and forearm, 28" barrel with modified choke tube, and a 22" rifled barrel.

No photos yet, mebbe tomorrow. Best part is, a magazine extender for the 870 will fit!

Small world man. I grew up during the summers as a kid in Yosemite and Bishop.

Part of my family still lives in Bishop...... oh how I miss a July thunderstorm and the smell of wet sage brush.....

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Buy the Remington if you can get him down to 200 bucks. It should be way less than 400.
    As someone with both an 870 and a Mossberg 835, at those prices I'd say go with the Mossberg.

Top Bottom