Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    another +1 to the OC ;)

Guy stopped me outside of my gas station:

Guy "Hey man you got a second"
    Me "sure thing"
    Guy "Can you carry your pistol anywhere except federal buildings as long as you have a license?"
    Me "No, I can carry it anywhere that is not a daycare, has a court room, a federal building, or an airport. Also, a lot of people think and will tell you that you have to cover it up. The laws don't specify, so I carry openly as it's more comfortable."
    Guy "Cool thanks."
    Me "No problem."

Again, had the pistol been covered, this guy might have got a license and commited a felony possession ;) OC +1, CC -1 ;)

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Nice! I actually love to hear the positives when it comes to open carry!
    I also enjoy the fact that everyday citizens will be curious enough to ask someone who open carries whats up?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Nice! I actually love to hear the positives when it comes to open carry!
    I also enjoy the fact that everyday citizens will be curious enough to ask someone who open carries whats up?

I love that too but sometimes it's more fun to hear about the bad experiences. :):
    All those OC without any trouble are getting boring ... ;)

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Great story, and its always good to hear the positive. As I had posted in another thread, most people don't post the positive, so its hard to know. One would think reading the threats that EVERYONE that OC'ed would be harassed.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    another +1 to the OC ;)

Me "sure thing"
    Guy "Can you carry your pistol anywhere except federal buildings as long as you have a license?"
    Me "No, I can carry it anywhere that is not a daycare, has a court room, a federal building, or an airport. Also, a lot of people think and will tell you that you have to cover it up. The laws don't specify, so I carry openly as it's more comfortable."
    Guy "Cool thanks."
    Me "No problem."

Again, had the pistol been covered, this guy might have got a license and commited a felony possession ;) OC +1, CC -1 ;)

:+1:

Just a small correction.. AFAIK, Airport property is OK, secured areas are not..

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    So I'm standing on the corner, OC or course. Screaming at people to warn them that the space aliens are already among us and they all drive Buicks --real slow! I'm flapping my arms because I'm trying to fly away and some LEO comes up and tells me to quiet down then asks me about my gun and whether or not I have a permit! I told him off while squawking like a chicken! I'm so tired of police harassment just because I'm practicing my 2nd Amendment rights! :rolleyes:

There, better now? :D

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    another +1 to the OC ;)

Me "sure thing"
    Guy "Cool thanks."
    Me "No problem."

what in the hell does a daycare have to do with anything.
    sorry i worded that weird, i am asking cause i have not idea what you are talking about. why a daycare. does this include schools? please help. cause i might be in trouble.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    what in the hell does a daycare have to do with anything.
    sorry i worded that weird, i am asking cause i have not idea what you are talking about. why a daycare. does this include schools? please help. cause i might be in trouble.

I believe a licensed daycare falls under the school classification. Some one will be by to quote the IC on that soon.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Be careful, as there was a lady arrested the other day on airport property, in front of her kids, because GASP, she took some photos, that were on the public road. Of course, there is abit more to the story, but she did not do anything illegal, but was still stopped harrassed, etc
    Mother of 3 Arrested for Taking Pictures of Tourist Attraction at Airport

Not saying that you can't, just like OC, you have to be careful for idiots that don't know the law. You might win in the end, but how much money and time will you be out?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Be careful, as there was a lady arrested the other day on airport property, in front of her kids, because GASP, she took some photos, that were on the public road. Of course, there is abit more to the story, but she did not do anything illegal, but was still stopped harrassed, etc
    Mother of 3 Arrested for Taking Pictures of Tourist Attraction at Airport

Not saying that you can't, just like OC, you have to be careful for idiots that don't know the law. You might win in the end, but how much money and time will you be out?

That was in 2009 and sound VERY fishy to me.

OP, I would say +1 OC, 0 for CC though

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Here's the exception for religious ministries.
    Note: IC 31-27 deals with foster homes so I didn't bother posting that.
    IC 35-41-1-24.7

"School property"
    Sec. 24.7. "School property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by:
    (A) a school corporation;
    (B) an entity that is required to be licensed under IC 12-17.2 or IC 31-27;
    (C) a private school that is not supported and maintained by funds realized from the imposition of a tax on property, income, or sales; or
    (D) a federal, state, local, or nonprofit program or service operated to serve, assist, or otherwise benefit children who are at least three (3) years of age and not yet enrolled in kindergarten, including the following:
    (i) A Head Start program under 42 U.S.C. 9831 et seq.
    (ii) A special education preschool program.
    (iii) A developmental child care program for preschool children.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure described in subdivision (1).
    As added by P.L.296-1987, SEC.4. Amended by P.L.34-1991, SEC.27; P.L.9-1991, SEC.95; P.L.2-1992, SEC.880; P.L.81-1992, SEC.38; P.L.1-1993, SEC.240; P.L.160-1994, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.227; P.L.145-2006, SEC.370.

IC 12-17.2-2-8
    Licensure exemptions
    Sec. 8. The division shall exempt from licensure the following programs:
    (1) A program for children enrolled in grades kindergarten through 12 that is operated by the department of education or a public or private school.
    (2) A program for children who become at least three (3) years of age as of December 1 of a particular school year (as defined in IC 20-18-2-17) that is operated by the department of education or a public or private school.
    (3) A nonresidential program for a child that provides child care for less than four (4) hours a day.
    (4) A recreation program for children that operates for not more than ninety (90) days in a calendar year.
    (5) A program whose primary purpose is to provide social, recreational, or religious activities for school age children, such as scouting, boys club, girls club, sports, or the arts.
    (6) A program operated to serve migrant children that: (A) provides services for children from migrant worker families; and
    (B) is operated during a single period of less than one hundred twenty (120) consecutive days during a calendar year.
    (7) A child care ministry registered under IC 12-17.2-6.
    (8) A child care home if the provider:
    (A) does not receive regular compensation;
    (B) cares only for children who are related to the provider;
    (C) cares for less than six (6) children, not including children for whom the provider is a parent, stepparent, guardian, custodian, or other relative; or
    (D) operates to serve migrant children.
    (9) A child care program operated by a public or private secondary school that:
    (A) provides day care on the school premises for children of a student or an employee of the school;
    (B) complies with health, safety, and sanitation standards as determined by the division under section 4 of this chapter for child care centers or in accordance with a variance or waiver of a rule governing child care centers approved by the division under section 10 of this chapter; and
    (C) substantially complies with the fire and life safety rules as determined by the state fire marshal under rules adopted by the division under section 4 of this chapter for child care centers or in accordance with a variance or waiver of a rule governing child care centers approved by the division under section 10 of this chapter.
    (10) A school age child care program (commonly referred to as a latch key program) established under IC 20-26-5-2 that is operated by:
    (A) the department of education;
    (B) a public or private school; or
    (C) a public or private organization under a written contract with:
    (i) the department of education; or
    (ii) a public or private school.
    As added by P.L.1-1993, SEC.141. Amended by P.L.61-1993, SEC.8; P.L.136-1993, SEC.6; P.L.2-1995, SEC.50; P.L.50-2001, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.136.

Top Bottom