• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The wild west means a lot of different things but to most it's after the civil war and before the turn of the century. Lots of firearms in this era in lots of calibers and original guns can be expensive to obtain or find ammo for if you want to shoot them. Here is a repro combination that while in a caliber, 45 Colt, that wasn't available, fits well into the modern world.

The 1866 Winchester was a very popular gun from after the civil war and well into the late 1800's, it fills the spot between the Henry and the 1873 in the technological evolution of the day and makes a good pairing with conversion revolvers.

The two revolvers are copies of the conversions made post civil war of popular military revolvers, the 1858 Remington and 1860 Colt. An old west settler, miner, or cowboy would find these factory conversions to be less expensive as manufacturers were pricing them to sell, using up parts left over from government contract cap and ball guns.

Both of these copies are in 45 Colt, like the rifle, a good selling idea that really doesn't come until a bit later, after the conversion era, when Colt starts making SAA revolvers in Winchester calibers.

Today having common ammo is much easier and all these repros shoot 45 Colt with 255 grain cast lead bullets on top of 8 grains of Unique with no issues as they are modern construction. For added realism, you can easily substitute FF black powder.

combo.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    That is why I want a .357 Lever action to go with my Revolver...not old west, but a continuation of the idea..........It's just since I've wanted a lever in .357 they have turned into unobtainium priced guns.......

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    That is why I want a .357 Lever action to go with my Revolver...not old west, but a continuation of the idea..........It's just since I've wanted a lever in .357 they have turned into unobtainium priced guns.......

Unlike the Winchester 1894.

Better cartridge...may not run in your side arm.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Cowboy Up! Nice rig, Leadeye!

I shoot a pair of 1873 revolvers and 1892 lever action at our local Cowboy matches. 45 Colt & .44-40 respectively, both cartridges filled to the brim with Goex ffG Black Powder.

YeeHaw!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The wild west means a lot of different things but to most it's after the civil war and before the turn of the century. Lots of firearms in this era in lots of calibers and original guns can be expensive to obtain or find ammo for if you want to shoot them. Here is a repro combination that while in a caliber, 45 Colt, that wasn't available, fits well into the modern world.

The 1866 Winchester was a very popular gun from after the civil war and well into the late 1800's, it fills the spot between the Henry and the 1873 in the technological evolution of the day and makes a good pairing with conversion revolvers.

The two revolvers are copies of the conversions made post civil war of popular military revolvers, the 1858 Remington and 1860 Colt. An old west settler, miner, or cowboy would find these factory conversions to be less expensive as manufacturers were pricing them to sell, using up parts left over from government contract cap and ball guns.

Both of these copies are in 45 Colt, like the rifle, a good selling idea that really doesn't come until a bit later, after the conversion era, when Colt starts making SAA revolvers in Winchester calibers.

Today having common ammo is much easier and all these repros shoot 45 Colt with 255 grain cast lead bullets on top of 8 grains of Unique with no issues as they are modern construction. For added realism, you can easily substitute FF black powder.

View attachment 232019
    Beautiful collection.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    The 1866. My favorite lever gun.
    Mine too!
    gEXhhUZh.jpg

csQFV4yh.jpg

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....my CAS weapons. Repop 1873 Colt SAA in .357. Original Trapdoor infantry rifle in 45.70. Both shot with real blackpowder. Also use a hammerless H&R double barrel in 12ga, also BP. Local club shoots a class called Indian Fighter/Al Sieber. Shots are 5-5-2, we also shoot any bonus shots that are occasionally part of the stage. Wish NCOWS and SASS would adopt this class, they have so many other classes. Not holding my breath, lol. These guns are a ball to shoot.

Attachments

• 20211001_085915_kindlephoto-6862718.jpg
      20211001_085915_kindlephoto-6862718.jpg
      443.6 KB · Views: 4

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Some dude named “leadeye” told me just about the most dangerous combo would be !

Smith & Wesson S&W .44-40 WCF Frontier Revolver.​

With a Colt Lighting in 44-40?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Some dude named “leadeye” told me just about the most dangerous combo would be !

Smith & Wesson S&W .44-40 WCF Frontier Revolver.​

With a Colt Lighting in 44-40?

Don't let him get you started.

You've been warned.

Oh....Have fun!

Top Bottom