old smith and wesson experts? (price check)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i know folks get tired of the "price check thing" but im stumped on this one.

its a 1974 class a engraved smith model 37. appears unfired some of the engraving is glod enlayed on a blued gun. grips are aftermarket

i found one at cabelas in texas for 4000 but it was stainless

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    You could poke around the S&W forum.
    I'd also definitely get a factory letter. One from Smith is $30 and with what you have is definitely worth every penny. And you can only learn cool stuff from it.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would not feel at all comfortable getting a price concensus from the peanut gallery on something like that. I'd head straight to the SWCA and, if possible, give them a SN.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would not feel at all comfortable getting a price concensus from the peanut gallery on something like that. I'd head straight to the SWCA and, if possible, give them a SN.

all that is in the works and it will be at the 1500 sunday. this is just getting some idea of worth.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Oh boy.

OK, first off....

:postpics:

Secondly, if that is a class A factory job, I would venture to say you've got a minimum $3000/maximum $4500 revolver on your hands. Like all things firearms, the price you can obtain is a regional deal. In other words, just getting it to someone around here would probably rake in $3000, getting it out nationally to a collector would bring in the higher dollar amounts. For what it's worth, I've never seen a 37 with the uber fancy scroll come up for sale anywhere.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I know this answer suck but it is the truth, the gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If someone is willing to pay $4000 for it that is what it is worth, If the best offer on it is $3000 then that is what it is worth. Custom guns are the slipperiest things in the world to put a price on. If you look here you can see some retail prices but like all S&W prices they are higher than what the guns will actually sell for.

Search Results - Smith & Wesson

You will just have to decide what it is worth to you.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I might be wrong on this, but I did not think Smith Wesson did factory engraving on non-steel (alloy) guns, back in the 70's. Like I say, I might be wrong.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I might be wrong on this, but I did not think Smith Wesson did factory engraving on non-steel (alloy) guns, back in the 70's. Like I say, I might be wrong.

the letter of athenticity is inbound about the pistol and factory engraving.

451 detonics

ya i know its worth what somone will give. this is my first whats it worth thread. guns like this are imposible to gauge a fair asking price.

here is a crappy cell phone pic. i know it wont really help with the value in this case but it sure is nice to look at
    911.jpg

Top Bottom