OK This one is for all you old school guys.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    FYI, that movie was largely Hollywood-ized and there’s pretty good evidence out now that he made that entire story up.

I don’t think you are correct. I saw Abagnale speak in person at a seminar I attended about two years ago. He was very polished, well spoken, and nicely dressed in a custom tailored suit and wearing a Rolex watch. He related his life story including being captured in Europe and spending considerable time in prison there.
    When he returned to America he was recruited by the FBI to help them solve the very types of crimes he perpetrated. He was very contrite about what he had done and stated he truly was not happy until he found and married his current wife.

YMMV - as for me. I believe what the man said. And many of the elements in the movie were true according to Abagnale.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2022
    Valparaiso
    I don’t think you are correct. I saw Abagnale speak in person at a seminar I attended about two years ago. He was very polished, well spoken, and nicely dressed in a custom tailored suit and wearing a Rolex watch. He related his life story including being captured in Europe and spending considerable time in prison there.
    When he returned to America he was recruited by the FBI to help them solve the very types of crimes he perpetrated. He was very contrite about what he had done and stated he truly was not happy until he found and married his current wife.

YMMV - as for me. I believe what the man said. And many of the elements in the movie were true according to Abagnale.
    So you’re saying that it’s impossible for a self-proclaimed former con-man to have lied about his background? Lol.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Pay at the pump. An acquaintance from work, not me, however, I was told if you have the dollar to start the transaction, you can get gas and it will place a hold on your account. Personally I prefer to just budget the money for gas every week and not pay the $30 overdraft fee, but to each their own.

Most pumps won't accept it unless your card has the $75 or $100 authorization amount available. If you pay inside, it will only put a hold on the card for the exact amount you tell the cashier.

I tell everyone that, no matter what, NEVER swipe your card at the pump. The skimmer people have gotten too efficient and quick, and can install them without anyone noticing.

If people want to pay at the pump out of laziness, they should get a prepaid gas card from that station and only use that.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The debit card transaction is confirmed by the bank to have enough to cover the transaction, and then the bank puts a hold on that amount to keep it from being spent between the time of the transaction and when the store's POS system actually removes the money from the account. (usually within 3 days)

That hold can screw you. Never use a debit card to buy gas. Since they dont know how much you are going to buy, they'll ask the bank if they will be able to get $100 out of the account. The bank says "sure" and then puts a 2 week hold on that cash.
    I recently had a hold of $250 after getting diesel. I think that is the new limit. It took 9 days for the hold/charge to clear($128 actual charge). This was an in state purchase as well off of I-74 at a Pilot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I recently had a hold of $250 after getting diesel. I think that is the new limit. It took 9 days for the hold/charge to clear($128 actual charge). This was an in state purchase as well off of I-74 at a Pilot.
    I think that's on your bank, not the station. As I've said, with my credit union, the charge is on my account and settled (no hold) by the time I get back home 99% of the time, no matter where I use it.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Most pumps won't accept it unless your card has the $75 or $100 authorization amount available. If you pay inside, it will only put a hold on the card for the exact amount you tell the cashier.

I tell everyone that, no matter what, NEVER swipe your card at the pump. The skimmer people have gotten too efficient and quick, and can install them without anyone noticing.

If people want to pay at the pump out of laziness, they should get a prepaid gas card from that station and only use that.
    Jeez, I’m sure there’s more reasons than laziness that people pay at the pump :lmfao: If you ever go to a Casey’s look at your bank statement when you got gas. It authorizes $1, almost as soon as you hang up the pump it refunds that $1 and then charges you the amount you actually pumped. There’s never been a hold for any amount from them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A check is basically nothing more than an IOU. Your debit/credit card is instant money right to the store. Balances can be checked electronically immediately. Not so with a check. And remind me not to get behind you in the checkout lane. :):
    That is usually true but is changing. I personally presented a check for my Insurance. As I stood there, they ran it through a machine and handed me my cancelled check back. They had electronically gotten the money in real time. I have seen this done at other places also.

One note, a debit card is not really protected against fraud. A hacker gets whatever you have and the bank says too bad. I am VERY selective about using my Visa credit card and I can seldom go two years without needing it replaced due to fraud. My bank account pays interest almost the same (pathetic) amount as a savings account, I let money stack up in there. With a debit card, it is all up for grabs. I never even set my debit card feature up. Cash avoids a lot of invitation to fraud.

Even the pre paid cash cards are subject to fraud. I bought a $300 cash card and used it to by $100 in parts from an outfit in Phoenix, AZ. When I wanted to use that cash card, it was empty. The number had been used at an unrelated store in Bullhead CIty, AZ, far from the parts place in Phoenix.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That is usually true but is changing. I personally presented a check for my Insurance. As I stood there, they ran it through a machine and handed me my cancelled check back. They had electronically gotten the money in real time. I have seen this done at other places also.

One note, a debit card is not really protected against fraud. A hacker gets whatever you have and the bank says too bad. I am VERY selective about using my Visa credit card and I can seldom go two years without needing it replaced due to fraud. My bank account pays interest almost the same (pathetic) amount as a savings account, I let money stack up in there. With a debit card, it is all up for grabs. I never even set my debit card feature up. Cash avoids a lot of invitation to fraud.

Even the pre paid cash cards are subject to fraud. I bought a $300 cash card and used it to by $100 in parts from an outfit in Phoenix, AZ. When I wanted to use that cash card, it was empty. The number had been used at an unrelated store in Bullhead CIty, AZ, far from the parts place in Phoenix.
    I can't speak to others' banks and how they handle fraudulent debit card transactions, but the two credit unions I've been a member of reimbursed me very quickly via Mastercard (previous CU) or Visa (current CU). My current credit union will call me if they spot something that looks suspicious. They can stop the payment right then if I confirm that it's fraudulent. I'd be looking for another bank (or even better, a credit union).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I can't speak to others' banks and how they handle fraudulent debit card transactions, but the two credit unions I've been a member of reimbursed me very quickly via Mastercard (previous CU) or Visa (current CU). My current credit union will call me if they spot something that looks suspicious. They can stop the payment right then if I confirm that it's fraudulent. I'd be looking for another bank (or even better, a credit union).

It looks like my second paragraph is out of date. There was a law past years ago that regulates loss on debit cards, that improves the security. That must have happened when Visa and Mastercard took over debit cards. Thanks for the correction.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I'm 73, everything is Credit Card, all recurring Bills are Automatic Withdrawal. Ballance is paid 100% each month. I don't know how many Thousands of Dollars we've received in Credit Card Rewards. We don't write a Dozen Check's a year. I'm Happy with this arrangement.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And I dont mind people writing a check at a big box store. Its those that still do it longhand instead of just signing the check and letting the register print it out. They could be nearly as fast as cash or card, but nooooo. They gotta stand there scribbling away.
    Oh, and my mom still writes checks. She gets annoyed that a lot of stores no longer send the checks to the bank to be cancelled and returned to her for her records.
    Ive tried repeatedly to tell her to just carry the check register and jot down the amount from the receipt after she uses the debit card instead of a check, but she's stubborn.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    So you’re saying that it’s impossible for a self-proclaimed former con-man to have lied about his background? Lol.

No, I’m saying his talking points were well documented re: his prison time, what he did regarding faking being an airline pilot, etc. The FBI pretty much underscores the episodes.

Where are you getting your info that the movie scenes (plot) is incorrect ?

It’s not a life changing event for me either way, but please provide some basis for your statement that Abagnale didn’t do the things portrayed in the movie.

Not saying the drama may not have been embellishments, but from my viewpoint the tje premise was acceptable.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2022
    Valparaiso
    No, I’m saying his talking points were well documented re: his prison time, what he did regarding faking being an airline pilot, etc. The FBI pretty much underscores the episodes.

Where are you getting your info that the movie scenes (plot) is incorrect ?

It’s not a life changing event for me either way, but please provide some basis for your statement that Abagnale didn’t do the things portrayed in the movie.

Not saying the drama may not have been embellishments, but from my viewpoint the tje premise was acceptable.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Pay at the pump. An acquaintance from work, not me, however, I was told if you have the dollar to start the transaction, you can get gas and it will place a hold on your account. Personally I prefer to just budget the money for gas every week and not pay the $30 overdraft fee, but to each their own.
    Sounds like your acquaintance has "over draft protection". My credit union has it, I turned it down. If you use your debit for more than what you have in your account, they will cover it. Then charge you a fee for doing so.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Sounds like your acquaintance has "over draft protection". My credit union has it, I turned it down. If you use your debit for more than what you have in your account, they will cover it. Then charge you a fee for doing so.
    Could be, I had that feature before I got married. I quickly discovered how much money they made off of it when my new bride and I weren’t on the same page about finances :facepalm: We now have separate accounts…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can't fathom not knowing how much is in my checking account, so it's never been an issue for me. I write my debit transactions down in the checkbook as soon as I get home. Anyone that doesn't do that is rather foolish or just careless I think.

Reactions: Leo
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I must be lucky. I use a debit card for everything. Gas, lunch, groceries. I have never had a issue. I do get a new one every 6 months or so. I go to the credit union and ask. They print a new one and I'm in and out in 15 minutes.
    I should consider myself lucky

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I can't fathom not knowing how much is in my checking account, so it's never been an issue for me. I write my debit transactions down in the checkbook as soon as I get home. Anyone that doesn't do that is rather foolish or just careless I think.
    Does your credit union have an app you can download to keep track of your account?

Top Bottom