• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, so if it needs to be moved please do so.

In July i will be driving to Pennsylvania to visit and go shooting with some people connected with my church. However, i am not clear on what the laws in Ohio are for transporting weapons. I will be taking an M&P 9, AR-15 with 30rd mags, Ruger MkIII, Ruger 77/22, and a Browning Citori. There will be 3 other guys going with me with similar weapons in the car. There will also be several ammo cans with various ammunition.

Do i just need to have them unloaded in a case, with the ammo in a separate case? Does the ammo or gun cases need to be locked? We will most likely be taking an SUV, so there wont be a "trunk" to put them in. The 3rd row seat will be folded down and everything will be stored behind the two passengers riding in the back.

Any advice would be great. Thanks :popcorn:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I would also recommend finding out if Pennsylvania has a hi-cap mag ban. If so you may want to leave the 30rd mags at home, this is just my opinion and IANAL.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Don't break any traffic laws. Don't pick a fight with a young man while stopped in traffic in construction on I 75 in Columbus Ohio. (The driver of my car thought the guys girlfireind was hot and said so.)

Other than that, my friends and I travel to matches all over the Midwest with our rifles pistols and gear in the back. I have no special angst about traveling in Illinois or Ohio with my guns because I need them to shoot the match when I get there. If I go alone, I sometimes strap them on my motorcycle.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

navy4422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Lafayette
    My understanding of the Ohio laws is that if there are any loaded magazines or speedloaders in the car (even if they aren't in the gun), the gun is considered loaded.

(5)

(a) "Unloaded" means

, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question , and one of the following applies:

(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.

(c) For the purposes of divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

So for example if you have a cd case with two zipper pockets you can put your handgun in one and a loaded mag in the other ....

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    I assume this means you do not have a permit that is valid in Ohio such as a Utah? Ohio does require immediate notification to an officer who contacts you during official business that you have a firearm. Otherwise Ohio has no anti-2A restrictions and normal "unloaded locked in the trunk and ammo separate from the firearm" are fine.

Same with PA however if you have an Indiana Permit (License) than you are good to go in PA.

ultrabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    morristown in
    apply for a utah permit just got mine allows me to carry in ohio took my class at highsmiths gun shop in greenfield then took about 2 months to get it cost $90 for class $51 for permit

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And DEFINITELY dont look shady while driving across 70.

They appear to run drug interdiction teams at least between the Indiana line and Columbus. I almost always see multiple teams of two black SUVs in the median. Usually either on my way out or back (sometimes both) they have a car on the side of the road with every opening popped and sometimes the driver and passengers in cuffs.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I assume this means you do not have a permit that is valid in Ohio such as a Utah? Ohio does require immediate notification to an officer who contacts you during official business that you are carrying a firearm. Otherwise Ohio has no anti-2A restrictions and normal "unloaded locked in the trunk and ammo separate from the firearm" are fine.

Same with PA however if you have an Indiana Permit (License) than you are good to go in PA.

FIFY.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    can someone boil this down for me? i'm leaving to visit family in ohio and i usually carry my G22 and take a sub2000 in my bag.
    i have an indiana res ccw which i'm aware is not recognized in ohio.

i plan to lock my glock under my seat in a small safe, unloaded, and leave the rifle in my bag. i have no trunk but i do have a toolbox on my truck.

legal or not? do i need to do something special with the mags?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm sitting in our Ohio office right now as I type this.

1. Police cars near Cincy are silverish.
    2. Every single black dodge charger on the way here is a cop. Every single one.
    3. Either lock it up, or take a chance OC'ing.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    And for the OP, he mentioned going with some guys from church. Carry in a church is illegal in Ohio, Utah permit or not.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I'm sitting in our Ohio office right now as I type this.

1. Police cars near Cincy are silverish.
    2. Every single black dodge charger on the way here is a cop. Every single one.
    3. Either lock it up, or take a chance OC'ing.

Did Ohio change their law recently? Last I was aware, you could NOT have a firearm on you inside of a vehicle unless you had a license/permit that Ohio recognizes.

Top Bottom