• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ended up with 10 does in the field at dusk. Had a tiny fork horn walk in at last light and had no interest in the does at all. I don't think anyone has informed the deer that it's almost the second week of November. There is nothing happening.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Ended up with 10 does in the field at dusk. Had a tiny fork horn walk in at last light and had no interest in the does at all. I don't think anyone has informed the deer that it's almost the second week of November. There is nothing happening.
    I'm having about the same luck as you. I've seen a few small bucks bumping does, including two today but no mature bucks. I did rattle in a small 6pt this morning. I'm hoping it starts heating up next week, mainly because I'm on vacation from the 10th through the 21st.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Seeing all these deer on the ground is killing me! Haven't had much time to get out to Brookville and scout around. Anyone around Greenfield want to invite me out for a hunt?

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I took the afternoon off and saw absolutely nothing until this guy came by right before legal time ended. I let him walk due to having no tine length. The rack looks like a buck that's over the hill, but the body doesn't. He does have a neck on him though. I think he has run all the other good bucks off since I now only get pictures of him and dinks.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    He looks mature to me roman nose deep in the neck down into his brisket, he has long beams too my not have good tine length and his legs look short too... He don't look like a race horse, young and ready to race..... I would shoot'm with a bow, I believe hes a mature buck... This is based on the pics only he may look diffrent in real life on the hoof ????

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Coworker's brother got a P&Y, another flubbed his chance at a 20" wide one (Sunday).
    Another said he saw a shooter 8 tonight, but it refused to cooperate or acknowledge any calling.

On the bright side, just got off work and had a beautiful red fox zip in front of my Jeep............in town.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    3 more days then start my Vacation in the woods got till the 4th day of gun season then back to work, Hope I hit it right ??? Seems the big boys are still not ready to show themselves in the day time... Dinks everywhere now but of all my hunting buddys none are seeing the big boys yet so hopefully over the next week things will start to pick up some with the bigger bucks ??? Hope the deer gods are shineing on me this year.... ;)

Last edited:

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Saw a massive big bodied 8 at 3pm yesterday. He came in to 32 yards in the one spot I can't squeeze and arrow through. Gun season and I would have had him. There was a smallish 6 trailing about 30 seconds behind him. Of course the 6 walks right under my stand, go figure. I hit the doe bleat as they were heading over the hill. The 6 responded and came back in but the 8 just kept walking. On a different note, 2 new stands have popped up within 200 yards of mine. Going to be an exciting gun season lol.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Saw a massive big bodied 8 at 3pm yesterday. He came in to 32 yards in the one spot I can't squeeze and arrow through. Gun season and I would have had him. There was a smallish 6 trailing about 30 seconds behind him. Of course the 6 walks right under my stand, go figure. I hit the doe bleat as they were heading over the hill. The 6 responded and came back in but the 8 just kept walking. On a different note, 2 new stands have popped up within 200 yards of mine. Going to be an exciting gun season lol.

I also saw a large bodied 8 pt buck last night, almost got him with our Expedition on the county road. He turned back and ran right towards one of our ladder stands 300 yards away. Come on free time and gun season! Lol

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Stayed out of the stands this morning due to the threat of rain coupled with high winds, can't afford to get the camera wet. Drove around a bit after breakfast and saw a mature 8 out and about. Hopefully a good sign that they're at least starting to seek for does.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Put the smack down on a big doe this morning. Had deer around me all morning, but she just kept tempting me. 27 yard broadside shot = rage through the cage. She piled up less than 50 yards from where she was shot.

Nice big ol' nannie doe there BG, good shot too.... That will be some good eat'n.... Yum-o..... :yesway: Congrats bro.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Nice big ol' nannie doe there BG, good shot too.... That will be some good eat'n.... Yum-o..... :yesway: Congrats bro.

Thanks yote, the shot looks a touch high on that side, but the exit was about 6" lower. I was getting low on venison, checked last week and was down to 12# of burger, a few roasts and a pack of steaks.

I normally process them myself, but with the warm weather and me having to go back to work today I opted for a processor.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Put the smack down on a big doe this morning. Had deer around me all morning, but she just kept tempting me. 27 yard broadside shot = rage through the cage. She piled up less than 50 yards from where she was shot.

That's a big ol doe! Several fat does at my place this year. Some say a sure sign of a tough winter comin. Congrats

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Don't work today so going out this a.m…..got my 2nd archery license so looking for a nice buck…after this rain they should be moving today more. See what I can rattle or grunt out of the corn field. The best week is coming up.

Just got back from morning hunt….truck parked next to property I hunt, I have never seen a bow hunter, they only gun hunt it….get to my stand which is in corner and 40 yards from property line…..my bottom 2 screw in foot pegs have been stolen. I reached up and pulled my 6' 2'' frame up monkey bar style till I could get a foot hold. It was well before sunrise, but light enough to see a little….then I heard the bow hunter about 100 yards away start rattling, I assumed he hear me but could't see and thought I was a deer over there. My stand wasn't stolen, and my rattling antlers were still hanging there…..so I concluded someone short and maybe puggy couldn't climb my long stride screw in foot pegs and took the bottom 2. Well light came and I rattled and grunted and the guy knew he had company…wondered and my first guess it was him doing the stealing thinking no one will be there till the weekend….I then thought if he had been him what would he do…..get nervous that the guy he stole from was up there and watching him….All I'll say is that at 8:15 he got his short puggy body down from a ladder stand and headed for his truck….funny thing is 10 minutes after he left a small buck came within 30 yards of his stand. Going to make a short wooded ladder to carry back to stand and take with me……may have to put a chain and lock on it…….going to be watching and see if this guy comes back again…..no way to prove anything though….but if I could find who it was……...

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So close this afternoon. Had a 1.5yr old six walk by at 15yds. 20 minutes later a really nice, symmetrical 130 class 8 was headed right for us. He stopped 15yds shy of where I could get a shot and turned to go back. Didn't act like he winded us, wasn't acting nervous, just that sense the big boys seem to have I guess. The small six came back by a bit later and that was it for bucks from 7am to 1:30pm. Climbed back into a different stand this evening. Bumped a couple does on the way in so I'm not too optimistic.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Is this a place where I can get sympathy? Haven't been out all week and was scheduled to be done at 3:30 today, barely in time to get home for an evening hunt. Client was 35 min late and I got home at 5:40 as the sun was setting. Pfftt!!!

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Yes you can get sympathy here! I've been working 6 days a week and have only been out a handful of times. Usually get out 4 times a week. Hoping to get out more in the coming weeks.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Four more bucks from this evening's stand but none of them more than 2.5yrs old.

For you guys who haven't been able to get out much or at all, you aren't missing much as far as the rut. It's barely beginning to show signs of existence. Still haven't seen a buck chasing a doe yet and have logged around 50 hours in the stand in the past 7 days. Still seeing does out in groups unattended mornings and evenings. Other than bucks cruising mid day you wouldn't think it's the first week of November.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Just secured the week of thanksgiving off for vacation at my folks place. First weekend is gun weekend (Illinois) the. Will be bow hunting the rest of the time. Hope to get out for half a day 5 of the 7 we will be there. (Family time is also required of me too)

Top Bottom