• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Seen a ok 8pt at 7:40am today and that was it , he was about wide as his ears but not a shooter... He will be a good one next year if he makes it... There is still alot of standing corn around me and I wish they would get it picked...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    8.5 hours in the stand and had two does come in an hour before dark. We won't be doing that again when the barometer is below 30.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Things are really heating up at my place. Bumped several deer walking in before sun up. Saw 2 nice shooters and a small buck. Nothing in range but a buttload of scrapes. absolutely destroyed several large pine trees all around me. Last time I saw trees tore up like that I put one on the wall! Now if I can just talk my boss into giving me some time to hunt...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    LOL, I hate these stupid deer.

I have a ladder stand about 120 yards down this logging road that runs up to a corn field.

I was sitting on one trail, with the intersection of logging roads 35 yards behind me. Yellow line is another trail at 40 yards and the red is another logging trail some 70 yards up. I saw the 8 pointer cross Friday morning on the trail I put my Summit on tonight. I figured I had 3 of the 4 trails covered, with 40 being about the limit I will shoot my bow. Yup, he crossed up top.

Of course these are all make-able shots with the muzzleloader, and gun season starts Saturday. I'm guessing I won't see this buck again, lol.

1002524_10152516414553528_3154694082506247109_n.jpg

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I feel your pain. Last second decision put me in my ole faithful stand this morn. Saw a great buck at a couple hundred yards. Going to different location this afternoon i see sign(backed up by visual of direction of travel) that he went right by 2 other spots i opted against this morning Go figure

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I feel your pain. Last second decision put me in my ole faithful stand this morn. Saw a great buck at a couple hundred yards. Going to different location this afternoon i see sign(backed up by visual of direction of travel) that he went right by 2 other spots i opted against this morning Go figure

He knows you are there!

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I saw a nice buck chasing after a doe this afternoon around 4:15. I also hope this keeps up for a few more weeks.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My husband's cousin hadn't hunted in 30 years. Said he wanted to try to get a deer. He was here this morning about 6. Was out there about 10 minutes and a small 6 pointer stopped right in front of him. Took it with his cross bow. My big bucks are safe until shotgun starts and hubby and I are out there.

Maybe we put him in too good of a spot?4

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A 30 year dream became reality for me today and I finally took a nice buck with a bow. This is my first archery whitetail as well as my first buck. He isn't the biggest on the farm, was one we considered a "maybe" from the trail cam pics but he came in so fast (chasing a doe) I took one look at his G2's and drew the bow. I made a rookie mistake and didn't stop him before I shot so I ended up hitting him back. Watching the video we couldn't tell if I had gotten a lung but there were small bubbles in the blood right where I hit him but they stopped showing up quickly. We lost blood twice while tracking him 2 hours after the shot but the third time we picked up the trail it was dark liver blood. He made it about 250 yards before laying down next to a log where he died. I couldn't be more excited!

DSC03043_zps35acbce8.jpg

I've got him sectioned up and chilling in a cooler and we're dropping the cape off to a taxidermist this afternoon.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    hope that didn't reach the stomach!

It was a fairly short arrow. Tore up both lungs but didn't damage the heart. He didn't want that so I have it soaking in ice water to be cooked tomorrow for dinner.

A 30 year dream became reality for me today and I finally took a nice buck with a bow. This is my first archery whitetail as well as my first buck. He isn't the biggest on the farm, was one we considered a "maybe" from the trail cam pics but he came in so fast (chasing a doe) I took one look at his G2's and drew the bow. I made a rookie mistake and didn't stop him before I shot so I ended up hitting him back. Watching the video we couldn't tell if I had gotten a lung but there were small bubbles in the blood right where I hit him but they stopped showing up quickly. We lost blood twice while tracking him 2 hours after the shot but the third time we picked up the trail it was dark liver blood. He made it about 250 yards before laying down next to a log where he died. I couldn't be more excited!

DSC03043_zps35acbce8.jpg

I've got him sectioned up and chilling in a cooler and we're dropping the cape off to a taxidermist this afternoon.

Very nice buck! He's got some tall tines there.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

DSC03043_zps35acbce8.jpg

Outstanding! Definitely a shooter, and a great first buck with a bow. Glad to hear your hours (and days) of hard hunting have finally paid off!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty pumped. Tenderloins are cut and ready to be cooked for dinner along with fried potatoes and a nice bourbon!

Top Bottom