• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I am relatively new to the survival idea. I've loved post holocaust books, movies and even played a few RPG's about it in the past. I have not given it much credence until lately. The more I become aware of severe economic strain we are going to be under in the near to moderate future the more I worry.

That said, I have yet to cross the Rubicon of normal living to the "I've got a bunker and 200 years of supplies" mindset.

One thing I think might be overlooked for survival of a large, long term disaster is knowledge. I am not talking about the obvious short term survival skills such as first aid, canning, hunting, storing food. All of these are well and good, but they are also very goal oriented and designed to survive only.

I have been keeping all of my college level books for the classes I am taking. I think that anyone who may face the difficult road of long term survival will need skills to survive, but it would also be useful to have skills to trade. Medical books, engineering books, physics books, biology, philosophy, political science, and so on.

Some of these may seem a bit erudite and unnecessary, but consider how much knowledge was lost from the fall of the ancient Greeks. Or consider how long the Dark Ages lasted from the fall of the Roman Empire to the Renaissance.

What pulled Europe out of the Dark Ages were the centers of trade and learning. Colleges, universities, and liberal arts studies along with science helped Europe become the dominant world culture for hundreds of years.

If you search Ebay or other sites you can pick up college level books that are only a few bucks if you buy them a year or two behind the current edition.

I know that if faced w/ a SHTF scenario we will all be short sited trying to survive day to day, but after those days are gone, then what? A good library could be the spark for a center of learning that will help pull us out of whatever new dark age we will face.

Just a thought...

Doug

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Forget buying textbooks on eBay. During finals week, go to the local college and find the book store. Lots of times the publisher will put out a new version of a textbook, making minor changes just to make sure that you have to buy the new book the following year. This means that the book stores won't buy back the old books from the students, and they usually just get thrown away out back in a dumpster. Ask permission first, or head out back after closing, and you can get all the books you want for free.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    I was just at the recycling facility at the south side of Purdue and when putting my cardboard in the big dumpster found a ton of text books. I agree with the not buying them. As a recent grad, Purdue 2006, I have a ton of my books still, anything that couldnt be sold back I kept. Like Bruenor said, this week is prime hunting for text books if desired, go to the book store and just ask them to take the ones they wouldnt buy back, or stand outside and when the kid with a pissed off look because he bought a 150 dollar book and the store wont give hime anything for it offer him 5 bucks.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    That's part of a storyline behind a science fiction book. I want to say that it's the Foundation series by Azimov.

Basically, a massive library is created with information that will help humanity get back to the previous level of technology within a shorter time than rediscovering it over thousands of years.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's part of a storyline behind a science fiction book. I want to say that it's the Foundation series by Azimov.

Basically, a massive library is created with information that will help humanity get back to the previous level of technology within a shorter time than rediscovering it over thousands of years.

You're thinking of Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven. It's about a cataclysmic asteroid strike. In one part, one of the characters frantically starts preserving every book he can find using mothballs and ziplock bags, focusing especially on the texts he thinks will be needed to rebuild society. Specifically, books on medicine, electronics and electricity, earth sciences, farming, etc.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That is a good idea. If I ever have to home school my grand kids (don't have any of those yet), I sure don't want to have to teach algebra from memory.:) Besides, at 46, I'm still interested in learning as much as I can and had really not thought about the availability of learning materials down the road. I've been collecting survival books, but as originally stated, once we've survived the fall, we'll need some way to start climbing back out of the hole. A shelf full of older text books could help that along.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I've been thinking about this myself not only would it be good to pass knowledge; it would also combat against boredom!

Repped, for great thinking.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Knowledge/skills, Tools, and Supplies are the three-legged stool upon which preparations stand.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I have been fortunate enough to have professors who reuse books :) I still do like to keep some of my books ... never know when you may want to refer back....

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I agree with the text book thing. I have been saving mine and picking up others that people are throwing away for years for my reference at work. I hope more people understand how inmportant this knowledge is. I also just bought my first foxfire book for learning basic skills.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I found a good general book of knowledge, including physics, some chemistry, math, algebra, US history, government (including the founding documents.)

Bought it pre-Y2K for exactly the reasons stated.

econnell

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Howard Co IN
    I agree with bull, get the bible, and medical emergency book, the army fm surivial book is good and get one on how to trap and tracking if you don't know how...the rest of it can burn...Shelter, water and fire is all you need to know besides what you can and can't eat.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I agree with bull, get the bible, and medical emergency book, the army fm surivial book is good and get one on how to trap and tracking if you don't know how...the rest of it can burn...Shelter, water and fire is all you need to know besides what you can and can't eat.

While that is a real good start. The rest are at least as and probably more important than just what you mentioned. Knowledge is the key to more than just surviving. Anyone can survive, how well you survive depends on knowledge. The text books can also be used for teaching future generations also. :twocents:

Top Bottom