• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    Heading out to NYC this Friday for a long weekend. The wife and I are taking our daughter to see Wicked for her 16th birthday. I plan on leaving the vehicle in New Jersey and taking the train into the city. It’s been a long time since I’ve been to NYC myself. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions for me?

I know completely anti2A. No guns, no fun, etc… You’d never be found dead in New York. I’m going regardless.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Heading out to NYC this Friday for a long weekend. The wife and I are taking our daughter to see Wicked for her 16th birthday. I plan on leaving the vehicle in New Jersey and taking the train into the city. It’s been a long time since I’ve been to NYC myself. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions for me?

I know completely anti2A. No guns, no fun, etc… You’d never be found dead in New York. I’m going regardless.
    Juniors for cheesecake either before or after the show (or both!).

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Their pizza argument is that it's not pizza unless you can fold it! lol On a serious note they are very anti 2nd A. So always know where the nearest NYPD officer is and treat everything as a duty to retreat. And the train can be a little scary at night. good luck and stay safe.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Carry a little emergency medical and a light. Pay attention. Keep your stuff charged. Have fun.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    You will love Wicked, we saw it in the fall of 2019, it is so good. Like someone mentioned above, Juniors after the show is a must.

If staying in NJ, taking the train into the city is easy. The trick is getting out. When waiting at Penn Station they do not let you know the track you want until 5 minutes before the train leaves. As soon as the track pops up its a mad dash to the train. The stops are quick, be ready to get on/off.

The city has changed the last few years, keep your wallet in your front pocket and just be aware of your surroundings.

If doing the tourist stuff I never get tiered of seeing the WTC fountains, they really are something to see. I love walking down the Chelsea Pier,seeing the White Star Line sign still up after all these years is still pretty cool. If going up in One World Trade, pay the little extra and do the "express" tour. If not, it takes an hour to reach the top.

For eats, Quality Meats at 58th and 6th Ave is terrific. If you are up to going into Brooklyn, Peter Lugers is a must.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Hawkj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    9/11 Museum is definitely worth seeing. You could take a ferry trip out to the Statue of Liberty and they stop at Ellis Island also if you have not done that. Hometown BBQ and Morgan’s BBQ are great places to eat.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We typically stay at the Sheridan in Weehawken and take the water taxi into the city. It's not unusual for us to walk 14-15 miles in a day. Sarge's Deli is probably the best Deli in NYC. If you want a sit-down pizzeria, John's near Times Sq is awesome. If you want to see the Statue of Liberty up close, for free, ride the Staten Island Ferry. It's the closest, non-tour, boat path. Great for taking pics with you and the statue in the back ground. Chinatown has fantastic "old school" style Chinese restaurants where the wait staff still wear tux's and they have fancy table clothes, like the restaurant in "A Christmas Story". Central Park is beautiful. The USS Intrepid is cool. I haven't toured it since the added the Space Shuttle. They just sent the Concorde off to be refurbished. There is a sub there as well to tour.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    IIRC, we parked at a garage in weehawken and took the subway over. But that has been 11 years since we did that? It was before the WTC memorial was finished.

Top Bottom