NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Remodel is taking more $$$ than expected
    And more time. They finally have all the permits. And work is going as fast as $$ allows

Blythes is closing
    They have been asked to handle the transfers in progress.
    They have names, but not all gins have contact info.
    So if you know someone waiting on a order or transfer send them over.

They could hire some of Blythes employees, but not all

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Shop construction going on. Considerably more expensive. No timeline.

Hates what Blythe's did. They asked 219 to take over the transfers. It's a mess. Some items have no contact info, just names.

NFA items on perpetual back order.

Website has updated prices.

Mr24g

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2024
    NWI
    I drive by Deb's often. Rarely is it open. Maybe now that the road construction is done, they may open more. I wonder if they have improved their ventilation system?:dunno:
    Deb’s has always been open. It has inconvenient hours for us working class people. But it’s pistol only and lots of rif raf that frequent this place. It’s fairly close to me so I go there when I need to test out a pistol. Seeing as I have a few $10 passes laying around.

They have a ventilation system? Lmao. I usually end up blowing out some nasty powder buildup during my shower after I visit there.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Deb’s has always been open. It has inconvenient hours for us working class people. But it’s pistol only and lots of rif raf that frequent this place. It’s fairly close to me so I go there when I need to test out a pistol. Seeing as I have a few $10 passes laying around.

They have a ventilation system? Lmao. I usually end up blowing out some nasty powder buildup during my shower after I visit there.
    Deb's is about 5 minutes from my office, but I've never gone there. Seems sketch (as my kids would say). But, shooting is shooting.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Found out: 3 schools were closed and 300 people laid off, by a Superintendent who makes 40K a year MORE than our Governor.
    Yeah my best friend got a call last night saying not to come in today. His school was closed, and he would be shifted to an assistant principal job at another for a 30k cut in pay. Fortunately he was looking to leave Hammond school district for awhile. None of the schools in the district are overcrowded, all have plenty of openings for students. Might suck when the schools get redistricted. Gonna be some job bidding going on, so look for most of the newer teachers to get axed.

Basically, they needed to raise property taxes to keep the schools open, but it got voted down by the people. This is the result of it. You can't keep bleeding money and no one is willing to accept less pay than you were making to keep the schools open.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yeah my best friend got a call last night saying not to come in today. His school was closed, and he would be shifted to an assistant principal job at another for a 30k cut in pay. Fortunately he was looking to leave Hammond school district for awhile. None of the schools in the district are overcrowded, all have plenty of openings for students. Might suck when the schools get redistricted. Gonna be some job bidding going on, so look for most of the newer teachers to get axed.

Basically, they needed to raise property taxes to keep the schools open, but it got voted down by the people. This is the result of it. You can't keep bleeding money and no one is willing to accept less pay than you were making to keep the schools open.
    Yups

Hammond voters said HELL NO to raising the taxes for schools.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Yups

They definitely made the correct call. Time to save money by eliminating non essential classes and school lunches. Music, arts, gym, drama, and lunches all need to get shifted onto the parents not the tax payers. Prolly a good idea to get rid of busses too, bring back carpooling with strangers.

Mr24g

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2024
    NWI
    Deb's is about 5 minutes from my office, but I've never gone there. Seems sketch (as my kids would say). But, shooting is shooting.
    Def a sketchy place. I’ve seen multiple people flag themselves in there. No protection barriers between stalls. The walls and ceiling are shot up to heck. No RSO in the basement. I usually go there if I have a weekday off early during opening hours to avoid the sketchy people.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yups

Lowell voters did the same thing.

The schools (this seems true for Lowell and some others so I guess it is true for most/all others) got lots of "covid" money and were told how the covid $$$ could be used.

Lowell apparently used it as they wished, funded a bunch of 'ongoing' project, at least that is what it appears to have done. Ongoing projects were NOT supposed to have been funded with covid money.

Lowell schools then, facing a post-covid budget disaster, rushed to raise taxes to fund what was not to have ever been funded. Voters overwhelmingly said OH HELL NO.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When the government at every level, schools included, can show me that each and tax dollar is used perfectly efficiently and only for necessities and there is a legitimate need for more, then and only then will I ever consider supporting a tax increase....hasn't happened yet; not likely to ever happen.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Schools should be parent funded. Maybe that would put an end to these multimillion dollar sportplexes every school in NWI has
    Generally I would agree with your first sentence, but the State of Indiana has a Constitution and in that document it states that the State will provide edumaksion for residents of this state.

As for the sportsplexes I find those to be a horrible value. And as a coach that may be an odd position to take. But we see these huge field houses and playing fields and the amenities that go along with them and they cost big bucks. I don't mind them if they can be cost justified. But how do we do that?

By showing how many high school kids get sports scholarships to NCAA teams?

And if that is a gauge, do we gauge differentiate between FULL versus HALF versus QUARTER versus LE$$ scholarships?

Here is an NCAA sports breakdown, realize NCAA Division 3 can give ZERO $ in sports scholarships.
    • So can we justify all those BASEBALL stadiums for less 4.8% of the high school athletes POTENTIALLY getting scholarships?
    • Or only 2% of the BASKETBALL players POTENTIALLY getting scholarships?
    • Football stadiums are very popular, but only 5% of the players in high school even make it to play in a Div 1 or Div 2 school, and we don't know how many only get a small scholarship to play.

And is that even worth anything as a measuring point because in a typical high school there may only been 5% of the student body who plays high school "ball" so we are literally building sports palaces so that maybe 5% of roughly 5% can potentially earn a sports scholarship.

Screenshot 2024-04-24 at 5.12.53 PM.png

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I will stand by my statement that high school sports is nothing more than government subsidized
    childcare.
    Most parents think it is their little darling that is going to get the college scholarship. Statistics prove
    otherwise.
    I have known people who direct their crotch goblins to a particular college based upon who the
    coach is of a certain sport. Misdirected intentions.

Top Bottom