• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Stopped at the Subaru dealer in Portage to look for an SUV for my son, who's Chrysler minivan is down for lack of a chip, going on two months.

They did not have one new vehicle available, and 90% of the stock they have coming in in the next 6 weeks is already sold. They did have several used ones available, for a big price.

I don't know how these dealerships are going to survive without stock to sell.

Best bet right now if you want a new car is to order one and wait the 6 months for it to arrive.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Best bet right now if you want a new car is to order one and wait the 6 months for it to arrive.
    My daughter and SIL are returning to the US after 3 years in Japan. They ordered a new car moths ago to have it available when they get back next month.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Stopped at the Subaru dealer in Portage to look for an SUV for my son, who's Chrysler minivan is down for lack of a chip, going on two months.

They did not have one new vehicle available, and 90% of the stock they have coming in in the next 6 weeks is already sold. They did have several used ones available, for a big price.

I don't know how these dealerships are going to survive without stock to sell.

Companies have jumped on the supply/demand strategy. Selling less at a high price beats out more inventory at a lesser price.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    You think companies are purposefully keeping supply low to keep prices high?
    I don't think the dealerships are, nor do I think the manufacterers are, but I DO however think they are trying to take advantage of it by charging what they think the market will bear. By using the excuse of the "shortage" the dealerships are seeing it as a way to inflate the price and charge more to try and replace the revenuse that they are not getting from the volume that they use to sell. The dealerships are adding an upcharge to the price to do this. This is NOT a new thing though. Dealers have been doing this for years when it comes to highly desireable models that were in short supply. Now it seems that they are trying to do this for all models.

The power ultimately is in the buyers hands. IF he is willing to pay the price, then they will charge and get it. If you as the consumer are willing to walk away then you can find something reasonable. I am looking for a new/er truck right now. I haven't found what I am looking for so I am still looking. Luckily I am not in a position where I NEED a truck and need it NOW, so I have the luxury of shopping and looking around.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    You think companies are purposefully keeping supply low to keep prices high?

Yea, I don't think that's what it is. There's almost a palpable feel of panic in the showroom, as they don't even have a new Outback on the floor to show people. Only one or two salespeople around, when there used to be 8 or 9.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I don't think the dealerships are, nor do I think the manufacterers are, but I DO however think they are trying to take advantage of it by charging what they think the market will bear. By using the excuse of the "shortage" the dealerships are seeing it as a way to inflate the price and charge more to try and replace the revenuse that they are not getting from the volume that they use to sell. The dealerships are adding an upcharge to the price to do this. This is NOT a new thing though. Dealers have been doing this for years when it comes to highly desireable models that were in short supply. Now it seems that they are trying to do this for all models.

The power ultimately is in the buyers hands. IF he is willing to pay the price, then they will charge and get it. If you as the consumer are willing to walk away then you can find something reasonable. I am looking for a new/er truck right now. I haven't found what I am looking for so I am still looking. Luckily I am not in a position where I NEED a truck and need it NOW, so I have the luxury of shopping and looking around.

I think they're having to do it now just to keep their doors open.

I was trying to pick up something quick to help out the son, DIL, and grandson. They both work, so it's hard to juggle everything with just one vehicle. I was going to pick up a 2nd Forester (the wife drives one) for the kids to use, and detail and park my newish Turbo Outback so it'd stay nice longer, after the kids were done with the Forester.

Chrysler did find a loaner van for them to drive while they're waiting on theirs to get fixed. It's going on 2 months now. They've got the new hybrid electric van, I think the Pacifica?, and it just quit one day. Some control module Chrysler doesn't seem to be able to get. Fun times.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I think they're having to do it now just to keep their doors open.

I was trying to pick up something quick to help out the son, DIL, and grandson. They both work, so it's hard to juggle everything with just one vehicle. I was going to pick up a 2nd Forester (the wife drives one) for the kids to use, and detail and park my newish Turbo Outback so it'd stay nice longer, after the kids were done with the Forester.

Chrysler did find a loaner van for them to drive while they're waiting on theirs to get fixed. It's going on 2 months now. They've got the new hybrid electric van, I think the Pacifica?, and it just quit one day. Some control module Chrysler doesn't seem to be able to get. Fun times.

Eons ago, my then GF's (now wife) mother bought a new Chrysler Cordoba in. the summer. She loved the car! Then after about a month or so ran into a problem with it randomly dying and refusing to start when it was hot (as in a combination of outside temperature and engine heat.). Chrysler had difficulty trouble shooting it. But eventually determine it was a design defect. They had places some sort of electrical/computer component (ECU maybe) in a spot too close to the manifold and the heat would cause it to cease functioning. I think the eventual fix was to replace it with a more robust ECU. But it took a month to a month and a half of frustrating service calls.

mmpsteve

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Eons ago, my then GF's (now wife) mother bought a new Chrysler Cordoba in. the summer. She loved the car! Then after about a month or so ran into a problem with it randomly dying and refusing to start when it was hot (as in a combination of outside temperature and engine heat.). Chrysler had difficulty trouble shooting it. But eventually determine it was a design defect. They had places some sort of electrical/computer component (ECU maybe) in a spot too close to the manifold and the heat would cause it to cease functioning. I think the eventual fix was to replace it with a more robust ECU. But it took a month to a month and a half of frustrating service calls.

I've never been a Chrysler fan. Ever since my shop's Plymouth van (back in the late '80s) transmission problems. It was a known defect, but Chrysler just kept replacing it over and over. They put in 5 new transmissions, if memory serves, twice even after warranty was up. Of course, that was the right thing to do, fix it, but that doesn't help when you have a load of printing to deliver and your van is dead.

Sold that piece of junk and have never had another Chrysler product. If they had fixed whatever the real problem was with the transmission, I could have understood it and got over it, but to keep replacing it with garbage ... nope, never again.

Cordoba! Still remember those Juan commercials. "fine Corinthian leather"!

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Attempted credit card fraud. Good job Discover. Now to wait for the new card and start editing things all over again. It's been quite a few years so I guess I was due.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Hey NWI folks! Does anyone here know anybody on the Chesterton Advisory Plan Commission? Or has anyone had any dealings with the Plan Commission?

I need to reach out to talk with someone on the commission regarding a development they discussed last year. Was wondering how easy it is to actually talk to anyone.

Thanks

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom