• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    That last little snow we got, a regular pickup truck got stuck going up an incline in front of the wife. There was a long line of traffic behind him including the wife. They got him moved off to the side, and my wife started to go. They told her you're not going to get up that incline. She says watch me, revs up the little Subaru, and off she goes. No muss, no fuss, no tire spin. Best money I've spent on a vehicle in decades.

Regular pickup trucks are horrid in the in any slippery condition.

4x4 trucks without slip differentials and with reasonable weight in the rear are damn good.

Jeep uses a few different 4x4 systems, some great (Wrangler, Cherokee) while some, at best, are OK (Compass).

Quattro from Audi is still the best for roads, but my sedan has all season tires, not snow tires. Subaru uses an asymmetrical AWD system that is very good on slippery conditions. On the other hand BMW uses a system called X drive that is particularly horrible in snow, wet, mud conditions. AWD is not the same as 4wd, some a excellent, some are not.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    That last little snow we got, a regular pickup truck got stuck going up an incline in front of the wife. There was a long line of traffic behind him including the wife. They got him moved off to the side, and my wife started to go. They told her you're not going to get up that incline. She says watch me, revs up the little Subaru, and off she goes. No muss, no fuss, no tire spin. Best money I've spent on a vehicle in decades.

Subaru makes a great awd system, now if they could only make an engine that makes it past 75k..................

I love subaru's, but I'm a mechanic, they make me a fortune!

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Regular pickup trucks are horrid in the in any slippery condition.

4x4 trucks without slip differentials and with reasonable weight in the rear are damn good.

Jeep uses a few different 4x4 systems, some great (Wrangler, Cherokee) while some, at best, are OK (Compass).

Quattro from Audi is still the best for roads, but my sedan has all season tires, not snow tires. Subaru uses an asymmetrical AWD system that is very good on slippery conditions. On the other hand BMW uses a system called X drive that is particularly horrible in snow, wet, mud conditions. AWD is not the same as 4wd, some a excellent, some are not.

I was real happy with my Nissan Frontier 4x4. Very capable in the snow, and very thirsty for gas also. So when I totaled it, I inherited the wife's 2019 Forester, and bought her the 2020 Forester. I've been very impressed with the Subaru's thus far. Of course, we havn't had any real blizzards since we got the Subys.

Subaru makes a great awd system, now if they could only make an engine that makes it past 75k..................

I love subaru's, but I'm a mechanic, they make me a fortune!

Ouch!. I did my homework, and thought the boxer engines were solid now. What kind of problems do you generally see, DK?

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Ouch!. I did my homework, and thought the boxer engines were solid now. What kind of problems do you generally see, DK?

the worst is oil consumption, then it goes unnoticed by the owners resulting in engine failure. 2010-2017 suby's are the worst, subaru put out a bulletin stating 4qts of oil loss in 2k miles is acceptable!! newer ones may have addressed the issue but i'm not sure, most times cars within 3 years of age end up at the dealer for warranty instead of independent shop's like ours.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    also worth noting some of those cars fall under special policy for engine replacement at no charge up to 110k miles if the owner can prove meticulous maintenance records.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    also worth noting some of those cars fall under special policy for engine replacement at no charge up to 110k miles if the owner can prove meticulous maintenance records.

Thank you sir. I do keep the oil clean, so we'll see. I will check oil level more between changes though. I know the older ones had head gasket issues, but I would think that would be obvious if you started seeing antifreeze smoke coming out the exhaust. In my prior research, I read that problem had been addressed a few years ago.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was real happy with my Nissan Frontier 4x4. Very capable in the snow, and very thirsty for gas also...

My pick up is a Nissan Frontier 4x4 long bed with a 4 door cab. It has a very solid basic 4WD system that works great in the snow.

My biggest gripe is that the fuel tank is too small.

I expect poor fuel economy. I didn't expect a small gas tank. The combination makes for too frequent fill ups.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I love RWD.

A few years ago the roads were completely iced over. I was on Cleveland by the cemetery and there is a pretty good hill. Cars were inching up the hill slipping and sliding nearly bumper to bumper.

I sat in line for some time waiting to get to the bottom. Cars were off the side of the road stuck in the soft grass.

I stopped about fifty feet back and waited until the road was clear, then drove up the hill at 15-20 and no problem.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My mom has a Pontiac Vibe, just an unassuming little FWD hatchback but that thing just climbs slick inclines and I'm convinced Toyota used some sort of magic in designing it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was real happy with my Nissan Frontier 4x4. Very capable in the snow, and very thirsty for gas also.
    So when I totaled it, I inherited the wife's 2019 Forester, and bought her the 2020 Forester.
    I've been very impressed with the Subaru's thus far. Of course, we havn't had any real blizzards since we got the Subys.

I had been driving 3 different Corollas for 30 yrs., & did my research and bought a Subaru Forester.
    I was quite pleased with myself & thought I was "stepping up."
    I have never heard any negative talk about them: good for 500,000 miles!!!
    What have I done? :facepalm:
    :wallbash: :ugh:
    Unlike guns, I don't treat my cars the same way, and truly thought this would be my last vehicle if I live another 20 yrs. b/c it would only have over 200,000 miles on it, so no need to replace it.

the worst is oil consumption, then it goes unnoticed by the owners resulting in engine failure.

Not a drop so far, but I'll start checking every month now! (2015 w/72,000 miles: owned since August 2017).
    I have driven cars using a quart of oil every 200 miles (or less), b/c they needed a rear engine seal (1948 Studebaker & a Chevy Spectrum, I think).
    With a bunch of VW bugs, using a quart every 1000 miles was normal.

2010-2017 suby's are the worst, subaru put out a bulletin stating 4qts of oil loss in 2k miles is acceptable!! newer ones may have addressed the issue but i'm not sure, most times cars within 3 years of age end up at the dealer for warranty instead of independent shop's like ours.

That makes me mad! Toyota & Honda & others should have got that document & put on in their advertisements, but I'm sure they have their own piccadillies (regional word, but not know region, ha!).
    If I would have research bearing out your exprerience, I wouldn't have bought one, but stuck with the Honda CRV my wife wanted, or the Toyota Rav4 I wanted.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Cleared the back porch off for the dog. If we get the 3" by morning its gonna be short throws with the shovel. Its definitely a wet and heavy snow

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    First layer cleared.
    iVmL40o.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Dang it.
    Finished mids this morning.
    At noon I tried to take a 4 hour nap.
    I just woke up.
    Ugh.

I haven't looked outside.
    How bad is the snow?

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. My nephew had a baby boy on December 23, 2019. His name Braxton Andrew. Early this morning February 12, 2020... he passed away. I’m at a loss, I haven’t even had the chance to meet him. Every time it was going to happen, I was down and couldn’t go. I was planning on meeting him next month.

And while I was thinking, it’s crazy where your mind goes and random thoughts that pop in your head. One thought that randomly hit me was I sort of confirmed I’d be going to the m&e this Saturday. So I figured I’d just say to scratch me out for attending Saturday on that thread. But just let you all know what’s going on.

Probably won’t be on for the next few days or so, talk to y’all later.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom