Not open for further replies.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I know it's early but I'm sensing the title for the next NWI thread:

NWI - Cat farts, poop on someone else's dime, early is on time, bad drivers stay home
    You wanna swing this back around to shootin' and/or eatin', I'm all ears. Don't know if this oddball weather can be trusted to support both at the same time just yet.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Get to work this morning to find a dodge ram that was on the rack has a weak frame...lol. Thing is a total rust bucket but seeing a frame fold is a first in my 30 years of doing this.

Now to wait on customers call back to give the bad news

View attachment 255975
    That's actually good news although the owner probably won't see it that way right off. Better to have it come apart on the rack than while driving down the highway. If it couldn't support its own weight in the air it probably wasn't far from failing on the ground. One good bump and he'd have been in for a ride.

That's why whenever I'm in the market for a used truck I figure in the cost of a round-trip ticket to Texas.

*EDIT*....Make that a one-way ticket to Texas,....I'll drive the truck home.

Got real lucky on the last one I bought in 2017. 2003 Chevy 2500HD Service Bed 4wd Extended Cab. That's a real hard combo to find around here until you get to later models. You can either have the service bed or the extended cab or the 4WD or a combination of any two, but seldom all three. Bought it from a dealer right off his website for $3500 and flew down to pick it up. Solid truck with ac and I guess it has a radio in it,.....no other options which is just fine with me.

The reason I figure I got lucky is that two weeks after I picked up the truck, Hurricane Harvey swept through that part of Texas destroying half a million vehicles. Used work trucks that hadn't been flooded tripled in value overnight and flood damaged vehicles became a glut on the market. Missed all of that by buying when I did. Iirc the one-way Southwest flight out of Midway cost me less than a hundred bucks and I was home the next day. Coulda doubled my money on that truck before I even switched the ignition key to 'off' or tripled my money to that same dealer if I'd have driven it back.

Not a spec of rust anywhere on the truck, body or frame. Cut the ladder rack off and repainted the headache rack. Starting to look a little dated now,.....but it's a truck.

Attachments

• ChevyServ.jpg
      ChevyServ.jpg
      297.9 KB · Views: 7
    Last edited:

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    That's also aloooot of weight unsupported. I try my best to get the lift arms at or passed the fuel door.

It's hard sometimes. And especially the rusty **** we see here, that was going to happen eventually going down the road.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I got to work 30 minutes early everyday… so only seemed fair to start my going home 30 minutes early…. Lol
    That would be great, but not all workplaces are that flexible. Although this woman could have probably gotten away with that and more. She was very vocal and politically connected, both at the college and in Gary. And her white boss was terrified of her.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    I'll go to either Schoops and either Sat or Sun, makes no diff to me. I'm definitely at Valpo Show on Sat and may hit a second time on Sun. Even a second run through Valpo beats a first run through CP but that's just been my experience. Always find something at Valpo,......I'm one for a hundred in CP.

Do we have access to 'special treatment' in Valpo like we do at the CP Schoops? I've only ever been to that one once but they treated up nice and separated us from the reg'lar customers because they like us. At least I think that's why the separated us from the respectable people.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I'll go to either Schoops and either Sat or Sun, makes no diff to me. I'm definitely at Valpo Show on Sat and may hit a second time on Sun. Even a second run through Valpo beats a first run through CP but that's just been my experience. Always find something at Valpo,......I'm one for a hundred in CP.

Do we have access to 'special treatment' in Valpo like we do at the CP Schoops? I've only ever been to that one once but they treated up nice and separated us from the reg'lar customers because they like us. At least I think that's why the separated us from the respectable people.

What is bromhidrosis?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom