• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    It is cold, but at least it is not snowing. Knock on wood. On the positive side, I got a Luminox Pacific Diver 44mm 3121 at one of the pawn shops on clearance yesterday. I talked them down from $225 to $120.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Still only paying $3 per dozen for farm fresh eggs. I can get 7 dozen and a gumball with the leftover $2
    2 reasons this could be happening…. Your supplier likes you or is family/friend.

Or

They are doing it as a hobby and not trying to have it make financial sense.

Because feed has gone up substantially. And supply has gone down commercially due to the avian flu which brings more customers to the small time places.

Either way good deal for you financially and for the health benefits.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    It is cold, but at least it is not snowing. Knock on wood. On the positive side, I got a Luminox Pacific Diver 44mm 3121 at one of the pawn shops on clearance yesterday. I talked them down from $225 to $120.

Had to look that up to know what it is. I havn't worn a watch in 30 years, but that is a handsome one.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    2 reasons this could be happening…. Your supplier likes you or is family/friend.

Or

Because feed has gone up substantially. And supply has gone down commercially due to the avian flu which brings more customers to the small time places.

I have read that the price of feed and the price of egg cartons has gone up. Why in the world would these prices be up? There are many, many fewer chickens eating the feed - the price should be going way down. Same with egg cartons, there should be a glut on the market and they should be dirt cheap.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have read that the price of feed and the price of egg cartons has gone up. Why in the world would these prices be up? There are many, many fewer chickens eating the feed - the price should be going way down. Same with egg cartons, there should be a glut on the market and they should be dirt cheap.
    I have no idea but can attest with first hand experience both have risen. Maybe due to the amount of new backyard flocks after Cv scared everyone? And showed how fragile our consumer infrastructure is..

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Or

It works great. He's from Laporte but works in Illinois so I meet him right by the shop off 80/94 in Lake Station

I wish we still had chickens (had 4-6 for about 4 years) but this way I don't have to deal with it

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Something seems pretty horked up for feed prices to go up.

Aside from general inflation on everything, the prices of diesel and fertilizer are way up the last couple years. Could be one reason.

In my field, printing, paper prices across the board are up 30 percent or better the last two years. And shortages exist on many items for the first time in 35 years.

Some of this is Covid-response related, with a shortage of workers to run machines. A lot of boomers are simply retiring.

Oh, and FJB, and the donkeys he rode in on.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Aside from general inflation on everything, the prices of diesel and fertilizer are way up the last couple years. Could be one reason.

In my field, printing, paper prices across the board are up 30 percent or better the last two years. And shortages exist on many items for the first time in 35 years.

Some of this is Covid-response related, with a shortage of workers to run machines. A lot of boomers are simply retiring.

I was just in a First Aid/CPR training course and I heard a phrase that seems to keep popping up-"As the workforce ages". It seems that less and less young people are willing to perform in person work. I assume this reduces the pool of available persons to work, which drives the cost of labor up across the board. Add the corporate greed where they pass double the increase on to us, and suddenly eggs are $4.50 dozen when they were $1.89 a year ago. Don't forget eggs come from corporate farms now. I hope we get more and more back to a system where we buy from a local farmer, and take things to a local butcher, etc. I have been trying for the last few years and it has been a good switch.

Lpherr

Occupied

It isn't the donkeys fault, that he was forced to carry an ass.
    Please don't have relations with the poor donkey. The ass on the other hand...

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Yesterday I was watching a video about the blizzards of '77 and '78. One of those yrs I went out walking with a friend to explore conditions. We ended up walking through three feet of snow to the main road which was closed with 15' piles of snow on each side. We climbed up on the piles and walked along the crest, ducking our heads to keep from hitting the power lines. Couple hours later we came to the edge of Pine Lake and walked across the windswept ice. Even in town the roads were impassable but we kept trudging until we got to his sister's house after 8 miles and 6 hours of slogging. Called home to let my mom know where we were.

"I'm staying here for the night"

"Like h*ll you are,......get your butt back here right NOW!!"

So wet and exhausted and near dark I went back out and started retracing my steps. Fortunately I crossed paths with a buddy on a snow mobile at the edge of town and he gave me a ride the rest of the way. Good chance I'd have died out there otherwise, but that's how it was back then.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom