• Status
    Not open for further replies.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    OK it looks like we will be trying to put together another shoot on May 9th. I have been to Jasper Pulaski and Kingsbury and so far I am impressed with Kingsbury. JP was....well it left a LOT to be desired. I have HEARD that there is a nice range in Winamac as well. How does Winamac sound? Let's get some discussion on a place why don't we?

Greg

Last edited:

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    From here: Welcome to the DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife Web Site

Target Ranges
    • There are three public shooting ranges on Winamac FWA. Daily self-service check-in is required at each range.
    • The archery range provides shooting stations at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards from the ground or an elevated platform.
    • The shotgun range is for clay targets only. Users must provide clay targets and throwers.
    • The shooting range provides covered shooting stations at 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards. Paper targets only, properly posted on provided target bases. Users must provide paper targets and fasteners.
    • Shooting and shotgun range hours: 8:00 am to 7:00 pm April - August. 8:00 am to 5:00 pm September – March.
    • The archery range is open daily from daylight to dark.
    • Ranges are closed on Mondays, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    OK...looks like we have one vote for Kingsbury. LOL Anyone else have an opinion? I like the fact that Kingsbury has the short range targets for pistol shooting, BUT at the same time I like the fact that Winamac has the 200 yard range. The fact that kingsbury cost is not an issue to me. What do you say mikea? plague? OR are you just going to let me decide then bitch and moan about how you wanted it somewhere else? :D

Greg

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I don't like being middle managed by a RO constantly I also like to park within arms reach of where I'm shooting so I'll always vote for Jasper over kingsbury.

That said, winamac is a great range, but coming from Hammond it really adds on time to the drive.

I'd be down for jasper pulaski on the 9th.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    You never have to ask me, I always vote for Kingsbury. If it is decided that JP is the range this time or next time I won't complain. ;)

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    What the hell Winamac is a great range but it is out of everybodies way so Kingsbury it is I guess. I'm in I will just be shooting my 10/22 I think. I am broke and they don't give me ammo cause I'm Purty!!!!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Weather permitting, I'll probably go to either Kingsbury or Jasper this Saturday, gotta try out my 870's new Knoxx stock and have a little more fun with my Rem 700

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I can probably make it. I have never been to Kingsbury. I see a mention of being middle managed by RO and not being in arms reach of my vehicle from where I am shooting. What type of middle managing? How far is vehicle from where you are shooting?

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    It's not that bad the range master is pretty cool plus I like the fact that I can go down range once in a while and change out targets without worrying about somebody not paying attention to me yelling down range and waving to everybody to make sure they are good.

I am not a big safety glass guy but I will be there he stays on top of safety. All in all I enjoyed my time at Kingsbury. You have to park across the street but if you need it they have little cart things for you to use to haul your stuff over.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    OK, I'm taking a look at the Kingsbury range on Google maps and the setup looks strange.
    How so? the 'range itself is set up with..as you are looking downrange the pistol section on the right. the 50 yard section on the left and the 100 yard section in the middle. Yeah it is a bit strange, but the RO is in the middle of the layout so he can watch if anyone is downrange at the 100 yard targets before he turns off the red light and allows folks to shoot again. I hadn't really thought about the layout much until you mentioned it, but I suspect that is the reason for the way it is laid out. Also off to the FAR left outside the structure is the trap shooting area. The have several of the big wheeled garden carts as well as a game cart or two to help you ferry your sh!t to and from your car. I like the idea that the area is covered so if it rains like it did last weekend you aren't out in the mud the whole time. Also if the sun is beating down on you all the time it makes for a long and tiring day. The one drawback I noticed about being in the covered area is that the sound of the guns is amplified a bit and seems much louder than when you are out in the open.

Greg

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Probably cause I'm used to the separate bermed range layout like JP and Willow Slough have.

Edit: Are they really open until 7:00?

Last edited:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Somebody make me drag my a$$ to this place please. I couldn't make the last one but even if the kid didn't need my car I would prolly have wussed out. With my weight, back and hip it is bad enough but throw in the social anxiety I am gonna need a gun to my head I think. It is fun chatting here but you all will scare the crap outta me ftf. (lol but true) S A D sucks. I was always the first to meet n greet then this crap came over me so now I live like a hermit. I will get some cheese for my whine...sorry peeps

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Somebody make me drag my a$$ to this place please. I couldn't make the last one but even if the kid didn't need my car I would prolly have wussed out. With my weight, back and hip it is bad enough but throw in the social anxiety I am gonna need a gun to my head I think. It is fun chatting here but you all will scare the crap outta me ftf. (lol but true) S A D sucks. I was always the first to meet n greet then this crap came over me so now I live like a hermit. I will get some cheese for my whine...sorry peeps

oldfb...don't worry about the weight issue. As those that have met me can attest I am ALL of the 400# I claim to be. LOL As for your SAD if I have to I WILL stop by your place and tie a rope around your waist and DRAG you out with us! ;) I promise I don't bite. that mikea on the otherhand...I would be careful around him.....:@ya: AS for the back and hip, while the standing won't KILL me I do like to sit down and relax occasionally. There were both benches to sit at as well as picnic tables that were sheltered there.

Ok now oldfb..what's your next excuse? :dunno: :laugh:

Greg

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I only have 1000 rounds of .45acp?
    I know this is all in my head. It makes me feel retarded. I am fine once I get out. It is just the gettin part that wigs me out. Once I am around people I am fine. I never went to the shrink about it cause I didn't want to jeapordize my ltch or gun rights. So SAD may not be the real issue. I do hate the stupid assumptions people make about me cause of my weight. Last run in I had was with my brother in law the 50 yo stoner on welfare who turned on me when I tried to protect his father from his abuse. He is one of those scummy fackers who is all chummy until you stop letting him get over on you. Then he loses his mind ans says anything he can to destroy you and threatens to kill you. How can you deal with that type of irrationality?
    I have good days pain wise where I would head out but what is the point of going alone? Just get bored and frustrated. Since landing at INGO I have been watching less tv and mopeing around so that is a +1.
    Hey sorry to dump this dysfunction here. Just needed to lean on some brothers I guess.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom