NV Reciprocity Improving Soon: UT CFP Go; IN Larry No-Go....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    NV legislature just passed SB 175 and when the Gov signs the bill, reciprocity with other state's permits will expand.

Link to the bill: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/Bills/SB/SB175_R1.pdf

Go to section 4.5 on page six to read the details. (tried to cut and paste, but the format was all messed up....)

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin...
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours....
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    So this made me think. Would you (anyone here) support Indiana requiring training for our license? It is another layer of government infringement but it would make our license accepted in more states.

I have very mixed feelings personally. Training is good, but government mandated training is something else.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    So this made me think. Would you (anyone here) support Indiana requiring training for our license? It is another layer of government infringement but it would make our license accepted in more states.

I have very mixed feelings personally. Training is good, but government mandated training is something else.

No, would not support training requirement or even an option. Other states' permits are easily acquired and I don't want to see mandatory training to exercise a right. Also, no guarantee that adding a training scheme will cause other states to recognize it. More likely, but not guaranteed.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    So, make it an option in Indiana, and take the training if ya want the reciprocity.

NO!! When I suggested this just a few short years ago INGO told me any training requirement for reciprocity is absolutely unacceptable. There must be no realization that other states can make thier own rules, or that we do not live in a libertarian dream world. Any suggestion to the contrary means you are a statist scumbag.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

NO !!!!!

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    No. Once the training requirement is in place it will be near impossible to get rid of it. Just because the state probably wouldn't abuse it right now doesn't mean that the powers won't shift at some time then they decide to make it impossible to pass the qualification. "Oh, you can't shoot well enough to be in the final 3 of Top Shot? Sorry, you are a danger to society and can't have one."

Future consequences must be taken into account.

Training is a very good idea and something everyone should have. Not all training is the same and the govt training may not be in the end users best interest or what they need. Seek out the training that's most appropriate for you and your circumstances.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    No. Once the training requirement is in place it will be near impossible to get rid of it. Just because the state probably wouldn't abuse it right now doesn't mean that the powers won't shift at some time then they decide to make it impossible to pass the qualification. "Oh, you can't shoot well enough to be in the final 3 of Top Shot? Sorry, you are a danger to society and can't have one."

That's a very good point!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    So, make it an option in Indiana, and take the training if ya want the reciprocity.

Isn't that basically what we have now in Indiana? If you want/need reciprocity there are options available to you where you can prove training and get a non-resident permit from Florida or Utah.

I'm pretty sure there's NO state with two licensing schemes, and I would wonder if we added an enhanced, training-mandatory license type if other states would be quick to recognize it? Wouldn't it be a hassle for a LEO to figure out if it's one of the good licenses that their state recognizes or simply one of the lowly "hand them out to anyone" versions that makes the person a walking Adam Lanza wannabe?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Isn't that basically what we have now in Indiana? If you want/need reciprocity there are options available to you where you can prove training and get a non-resident permit from Florida or Utah.

I'm pretty sure there's NO state with two licensing schemes, and I would wonder if we added an enhanced, training-mandatory license type if other states would be quick to recognize it? Wouldn't it be a hassle for a LEO to figure out if it's one of the good licenses that their state recognizes or simply one of the lowly "hand them out to anyone" versions that makes the person a walking Adam Lanza wannabe?

I don't recall the specifics of which states, but IIRC there are a couple that have different licensing schemes. Some with the constitutional carry also issue a license for reciprocity. There was talk about another state that planned to go to the basic license and an enhanced license with training. I'm sure someone will be along shortly that remembers better than I.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Make it a different color, problem solved.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't recall the specifics of which states, but IIRC there are a couple that have different licensing schemes. Some with the constitutional carry also issue a license for reciprocity. There was talk about another state that planned to go to the basic license and an enhanced license with training. I'm sure someone will be along shortly that remembers better than I.

Paging HoughMade. Would an enhanced license with training possibly expose us to being held to a different (perhaps higher) standard should we have to use our weapon? I would not want to be held to the standards set for LEOs simply because I took training to improve my skills.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Paging HoughMade. Would an enhanced license with training possibly expose us to being held to a different (perhaps higher) standard should we have to use our weapon? I would not want to be held to the standards set for LEOs simply because I took training to improve my skills.

It shouldn't but in reality it might. Different public and political climates, views from different DAs, etc. Even without the 'split license' a good shoot in one place may not be in others. Think castle doctrine and duty to retreat in different areas. There would be no real way to predict what would happen until it does.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Better yet, make training available but not required, and implement Constitutional carry @ the same time.
    Training could gain reciprocity out of state & perhaps do away w/ all no carry locations in state. Although, the no carry locations should be done away with, too, period.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    NO!! When I suggested this just a few short years ago INGO told me any training requirement for reciprocity is absolutely unacceptable. There must be no realization that other states can make thier own rules, or that we do not live in a libertarian dream world. Any suggestion to the contrary means you are a statist scumbag.

So what happens when you have required training, but it's not good enough for New York?
    Then you raise your requirements.
    Then New York raises theirs with a SAFE Act part 2.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Better yet, make training available but not required, and implement Constitutional carry @ the same time.
    Training could gain reciprocity out of state & perhaps do away w/ all no carry locations in state. Although, the no carry locations should be done away with, too, period.

Training IS available. Just not taxpayer funded, government determined & dictated training. The individual should take it upon themselves to make sure they are properly trained in the safety and use of their own equipment.

Training COULD gain reciprocity but it's not guaranteed. No-carry locations will never be done away with. We've pretty much got that as good as it's going to get with the signs having no weight of law. People, property and business owners still have rights as well. They have the right to say they don't want firearms on their property but not the right to turn an otherwise law abiding individual into a criminal based on their opinion. The gun owner has the right to ignore the sign or take their business elsewhere.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Exactly! Nothing should be mandatory! Get all the training you can afford. If you want reciprocity get the Utah.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    So what happens when you have required training, but it's not good enough for New York?
    Then you raise your requirements.
    Then New York raises theirs with a SAFE Act part 2.
    I think states like New York, California, New Jersey, etc, are pretty much always going to be off limits, do they even allow any out of state permits now? Personally, I would be in 100% support of going to Constitutional carry for IN, with the option of having a LTCH that could give you as much reciprocity as Utah/Florida... training or not.

Top Bottom