NV Reciprocity Improving Soon: UT CFP Go; IN Larry No-Go....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Just get a Utah permit. You get training and NV carry. Your own choice. Not mandated.

I would call the instruction that comes with the Utah an introduction, safety & awareness briefing more than I would "training".

Individual training will be just that, individual. The business owner who wants to keep his business and employees safe will have different needs and requirements than the guy who keeps it with him all the time. A person who lives in an apartment complex will need different tactics than the guy who has a several hundred acre ranch. Someone who is disabled or in a wheelchair permanently will require different handling skills than others. Yes there is quite a bit of crossover and the safety rules apply the same, however a government planned and mandated program will not touch on the specifics each individual needs. Some states consider hunter education acceptable "training". I went through hunter ed twice in my life. Once way back in school in the 80s and once online a few years ago when I was thinking about the Florida before I got the Utah instead. I would not consider someone who has never had any firearm experience to be trained after going through that program, but it's good enough to satisfy the law in places.

Training is always a good idea, just make sure it's the appropriate training. In order to accomplish something you need to know what it is you wish to accomplish.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    So this made me think. Would you (anyone here) support Indiana requiring training for our license? It is another layer of government infringement but it would make our license accepted in more states.

I have very mixed feelings personally. Training is good, but government mandated training is something else.

No, I'd rather push for federal reciprocity of state-issued resident carry licenses.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just get a Utah permit. You get training and NV carry. Your own choice. Not mandated.

handgulaw.us says that NV only allows reciprocity with:

Alaska
    Arkansas
    Idaho (Enhanced Only)
    Illinois
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Nebraska
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    North Dakota (Class 1 Only)
    Ohio
    South Carolina
    Tennessee

I didn't read the entire PDF, but I assume that this list will be changing?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Do you know how embarrassing it is, as a Mod, to realize that you TOTALLY missed the Subject line of a thread, and asked a stupid question that had already been answered BY that Subject line?

:n00b:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The split permit was suggested a couple of years ago and quickly and appropriately shot down. Other states are changing their requirements. Our LTCH alone is recognized in 31 states now. With AZ and UT, I added six more that I can lawfully carry, the remaining 13 being CA, HI, IL, ME, NY, NJ, SC, MA, CT, RI, NV, OR, and MD. Most of those have some form of non-resident carry license you can get from them(may issue and difficult/expensive, but available) if you want it, I think the only ones that don't are CA, NY, IL, and HI. (and IL has one, but we're not eligible to apply for it, living in IN)

The way to approach this is state by state. I can support telling them they have to abide by the 14A saying that the acts of one state will be accepted in the others, but beyond that, I think, is too much federal involvement. A training "option" will quickly become a training requirement. No thanks. Glad to see NV loosening up their laws. It can only benefit their residents.

Blessings,
    Bill

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I know. It would be a darn shame if Nevada had to provide full faith and credit for my Indiana-issued carry license, and be stopped from infringing upon my natural, constitutionally protected right to carry a firearm in that State.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Do you know how embarrassing it is, as a Mod, to realize that you TOTALLY missed the Subject line of a thread, and asked a stupid question that had already been answered BY that Subject line?

:n00b:

No, sir! I do not know how embarrassing it is, as a Mod, to realize that you TOTALLY missed the Subject line of a thread, and asked a stupid question that had already been answered BY that Subject line.

Could you share with us your experience, as a Mod, regarding the issue of how embarrassing it is, as a Mod, to realize that you TOTALLY missed the Subject line of a thread, and asked a stupid question that had already been answered BY that Subject line?

Then we who are not Mods would know just how embarrassing it is, as a Mod, to realize that you TOTALLY missed the Subject line of a thread, and asked a stupid question that had already been answered BY that Subject line.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Not unless i'm reading it wrong - a good possibility - sounds like in 4.5 they will still require training. Indiana does not mandate training. Therefore, still can't carry in NV.

Which is what I stated in the title of the thread --- that IN would still not be recognized. Those of us who have a UT CFP (and maybe a few other states) should have our permits recognized. As for the training part of the law it states:

"
    Determine whether each​
    state requires a person to complete any training, class or program
    before the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in
    that state .

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    No, sir! I do not know how embarrassing it is, as a Mod, to realize that you TOTALLY missed the Subject line of a thread, and asked a stupid question that had already been answered BY that Subject line.

Could you share with us your experience, as a Mod, regarding the issue of how embarrassing it is, as a Mod, to realize that you TOTALLY missed the Subject line of a thread, and asked a stupid question that had already been answered BY that Subject line?

Then we who are not Mods would know just how embarrassing it is, as a Mod, to realize that you TOTALLY missed the Subject line of a thread, and asked a stupid question that had already been answered BY that Subject line.

sad-cats-1.jpg

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Which is what I stated in the title of the thread --- that IN would still not be recognized. Those of us who have a UT CFP (and maybe a few other states) should have our permits recognized. As for the training part of the law it states:

"
    Determine whether each​
    state requires a person to complete any training, class or program
    before the issuance of a permit to carry a concealed firearm in
    that state .

The reading comprehension in this thread is outstanding:laugh:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    No, I'd rather push for federal reciprocity of state-issued resident carry licenses.

I know. It would be a darn shame if Nevada had to provide full faith and credit for my Indiana-issued carry license, and be stopped from infringing upon my natural, constitutionally protected right to carry a firearm in that State.

While I agree with your point, Chip, and the rationale you gave for it, I am left wondering....

Why, Kut? You offer no reasoning or rationale for your objection to federal reciprocity of state issued carry licenses.
    As it stands, (and I recognize that these are not new points in the discussion) drivers licenses are recognized as valid in all states if issued by any, and SCOTUS seems to be leaning toward marriage licenses in any being valid in all. As a medic, my license is valid in Indiana, but that recognition is extended in the event of disaster to "anywhere" and if I travel, I don't have to re-do my whole course of education to be licensed in another state, I just have to sit for their test (which I'm eligible to do because of my current license) Similarly, nurses can do likewise to move from state to state. So why would my carry license not be eligible to be considered valid because I've crossed an arbitrary line on a map, if I'm obeying local laws? (by which I mean, specifically, that, to use Utah and Indiana as the example, a Utah permit holder can, while in Utah, carry in K-12 schools, and has been able to do so lawfully for many years. Said person could not do so lawfully here in IN, and must obey those laws, both federal and state, forbidding it, while in Indiana. I also refer to other laws regarding carry, of which we have blessedly few, but which some states include "no carry in banks", "no carry in bars", and "no carry past a certain sign", among.)

So again, Kut, since you object to federal reciprocity of state issued carry licenses/permits/whatever, I have to ask why you so object?

Blessings,
    Bill

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    While I agree with your point, Chip, and the rationale you gave for it, I am left wondering....

The rationale is simply that State A should not be able to infringe upon the natural, constitutionally protected rights of a citizen from State B. Both State A and State B issue licenses to their residents that allow (*cough, cough*) those residents to exercise their right to bear arms. That right should not arbitrarily end at an imaginary line, especially since both State A and State B recognize the right and provide a means to exercise it.

Top Bottom