• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I wonder if we would even know what a bump stock was if the right of the people to keep and bear arms was not infringed? If we could own affordably fully automatic weapons would bump stocks have been invented?

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    Let's just talk about bump stocks, Guns, what practical reason do you have for them, honestly?
    Ok, Ok... Fair enough everyone, and I don't necessarily completely disagree with the logic ljk presents here (and others), however I can make a valid argument for needing a weapon for self defense, hunting, and sports. I cannot do the same for a bump stock. I live in Gary, IN. My local convenience store was robbed two weeks ago, the owner shot in the hand confronting the assailant (need for a firearm for protection). My closest gas station had a carjacking 3 weeks ago by 3 assailants (need for higher capacity magazines, for defense in those situations). I have family in Georgia that depends on hunting for food (need for hunting). I live next to section 8 housing that borders the national park, and the kids there go shooting in their back yard every new year, 4th of July, etc. I depend on my firearms for protection, live with this daily reality, and unfortunate reminders, that I may have to defend myself or my family.

My point is that bump stocks are pretty worthless for anything more than fun, or as we saw in Vegas, a really bad outcome. Their intent is to circumvent the NFA. While I have my own problems with the NFA, and would like to see many parts of it repealed. I understand why it exists. I have also gone through the process to get a Class 3 stamp, and therefore know exactly what is involved in the process. It is no picnic and it took forever, but it wasn't like having a colonoscopy.

Flipping the logic I am seeing on it's head, one could also replace 'Bump Stocks' with 'Tank', 'Grenade Launcher', 'Rocket Launcher', 'Plastic Explosives'. Now I am all for freedom, and I also believe the primary purpose of the 2nd amendment is to ensure our citizenry maintains a well regulated militia as a check against failed government, but there has to be a balance somewhere.

When I lived in Indy, I didn't care too much about some of these more direct issues until I moved to NWI and had to commute every day into Illinois, unarmed. I would like to see progress towards reciprocity and my rights to protect myself where I live and work. There are other issues I would like to see progress on, but this one is my highest, and it can only be rectified at the federal level.

Biden and Harris want to ban all online sales of firearm related products, limit magazine capacity, limit private transactions without background checks, expand red flag laws, SMART gun requirements, registration of 'assault rifles', and more. https://joebiden.com/gunsafety/

I totally get why the NRA backed off against the Bump Stock ban, there are other/higher priorities at stake. And now we have probably the worst political situation at the federal level since the Brady Bill was passed. If we don't come together in some capacity and confront this threat, we stand to lose decades of progress on these issues.

It is for those reasons I continue to stand by the NRA, and will continue to support them. I support other groups as well, but not at the cost of weakening our strongest lobbying representation.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I totally get why the NRA backed off against the Bump Stock ban, there are other/higher priorities at stake. And now we have probably the worst political situation at the federal level since the Brady Bill was passed. If we don't come together in some capacity and confront this threat, we stand to lose decades of progress on these issues.
    What was that priority at that time? Did we gain anything at the Federal level to offset it?

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    What was that priority at that time? Did we gain anything at the Federal level to offset it?
    You might be forgetting about the hundreds of lawsuits they were working on at the time. Their strategy has been to flood the courts and establish precedent, at state and federal levels. This is how you actually change legislation, by establishing court precedent, in addition to lobbying on new legislation.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    By the way.... I have yet to hear one solid argument FOR bump stocks, other than freedom.

And by that logic, we should all be FOR grenade launchers, RPG's, hell, I'd like to own a minigun.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    Which is....if one thinks on it briefly.....the main reason we are all so twisted up.

They keep chip chip chipping away.
    Couldn't agree more with the chipping away mindset, however you have to look at this from a broader perspective with regards to legislation and court activity. Strategy requires making tough decisions, and this one was strategically a smart move to not get involved in, in my opinion.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I guess someone who has a disability that effects their fingers or hands should sit on the sidelines when it comes to their 2nd amendment rights?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Couldn't agree more with the chipping away mindset, however you have to look at this from a broader perspective with regards to legislation and court activity. Strategy requires making tough decisions, and this one was strategically a smart move to not get involved in, in my opinion.
    Oh no argument. But again, chip chip chip chip chip chip chipping away "Regardless" of how.

But this is so very low on the list of things I hold against the NRA. They have been a ghost

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can't find the cartoon.
    Goes something like..
    anti - gunners pick something.
    we "compromise" and lose a piece of the pie.
    anti - gunner picks something else.
    we "compromise" and lose another piece of the pie.
    repeat
    repeat.

Pretty soon, we are left with the crumbs.

Top Bottom