• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    FTA:

Yeah, and that was happening before July 1, also. What is your point?

Sure, they could. They could today, just as they could have prior to July 1. Removing the LTCH requirement for lawful carry has had zero impact on this circumstance.

Sure. What does that have to do with having or removing the LTCH requirement for lawful carry? No LTCH was ever required to possess a firearm in the home.

What kinds of things, and (again) how is it any different today from how it was prior to July 1? The LTCH does not now, and did not then, require any sort of firearm handling/safety course.

Further, what was the rate of negligent firearm discharge prior to July 1? In all the states that have moved to permitless carry, how did the removal of a permit requirement impact the rate of negligent firearm discharge? Why do you think Indiana will see anything different from those states?
    Chip, I can’t shake the feeling that somehow you already know the answers to the questions you pose.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Sounds like idiot anti-gunners gonna be idiots to me. Regardless of the outcome they were always going to come out against it and be vocal in doing so. Just hoping more than not realize how they're exposing their ignorance as they do so.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    FTA:

Sure, they could. They could today, just as they could have prior to July 1. Removing the LTCH requirement for lawful carry has had zero impact on this circumstance.

Sure. What does that have to do with having or removing the LTCH requirement for lawful carry? No LTCH was ever required to possess a firearm in the home.

What kinds of things, and (again) how is it any different today from how it was prior to July 1? The LTCH does not now, and did not then, require any sort of firearm handling/safety course.

Further, what was the rate of negligent firearm discharge prior to July 1? In all the states that have moved to permitless carry, how did the removal of a permit requirement impact the rate of negligent firearm discharge? Why do you think Indiana will see anything different from those states?
    Howbout the clergy sponsor fund raising efforts to provide the community with holsters and belts and maybe even sponsor a safe firearm handling educational campaign.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    FTA:

I was going to go point by point, Chip has it covered.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

...But, the tone of the press conference changed a bit when Bailey took questions about the state’s new permitless carry law.

“I think it’s still to be seen what the exact impact will be,” said Bailey. “I read about two examples in the first weekend that the law was effective where our officers basically had to let seven different guns walk away from two different traffic stops and so we’ll never know whether those guns may or may not have been connected to.”

He said he believes their jobs and the job of the Crime Guns Task Force, has been impeded by the law. Carter and other prominent police officers lobbied against the law, which allows people legally allowed to have guns, to carry without a permit.

“I know I’ve been clear about it and Chief Taylor’s been clear about it and certainly Superintendent Carter, who we stand behind 100 percent, that obviously the investigative techniques and tactics that our investigators have, have been hindered by this. Part of getting a hold of a gun, an illegally-possessed gun, is to see where that gun came from. We see constant stolen guns in our community. But, we also miss opportunities to link these guns through science…to non-fatal shootings and homicide investigations that families are waiting for justice on.”...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

...But, the tone of the press conference changed a bit when Bailey took questions about the state’s new permitless carry law.

“I think it’s still to be seen what the exact impact will be,” said Bailey. “I read about two examples in the first weekend that the law was effective where our officers basically had to let seven different guns walk away from two different traffic stops and so we’ll never know whether those guns may or may not have been connected to.”

He said he believes their jobs and the job of the Crime Guns Task Force, has been impeded by the law. Carter and other prominent police officers lobbied against the law, which allows people legally allowed to have guns, to carry without a permit.

“I know I’ve been clear about it and Chief Taylor’s been clear about it and certainly Superintendent Carter, who we stand behind 100 percent, that obviously the investigative techniques and tactics that our investigators have, have been hindered by this. Part of getting a hold of a gun, an illegally-possessed gun, is to see where that gun came from. We see constant stolen guns in our community. But, we also miss opportunities to link these guns through science…to non-fatal shootings and homicide investigations that families are waiting for justice on.”...
    It's like they just pretend that Pinner never happened, just like they pretend that the permitless carry status has no effect on the prohibited person statutes, and the authority LEOs have to deal with prohibited persons in possession.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is there some part of the Constitutional Carry law that I am unaware of that prevents police from performing criminal history checks on people they stop for legitimate traffic violations?

If no felonies....what basis would there be (or have been) to take the gun, either before or after the new law?

I get that there's a lot in law enforcement I do not know, but it seems like a lot of good can still be done if those who are felons and/or commit crimes with guns are severely punished (I get it, that's prosecutor, not LE).

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Is there some part of the Constitutional Carry law that I am unaware of that prevents police from performing criminal history checks on people they stop for legitimate traffic violations?

If no felonies....what basis would there be (or have been) to take the gun, either before or after the new law?

I get that there's a lot in law enforcement I do not know, but it seems like a lot of good can still be done if those who are felons and/or commit crimes with guns are severely punished (I get it, that's prosecutor, not LE).
    You know you’re not missing anything. But the anti’s have to keep the pot stirred or they run out of steam and truth overcomes irrational fear.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I guess if they weren't witnessed or suspected of doing anything illegal with the firearm then you're just gonna have to treat it like any other traffic stop where no one is carrying a firearm as it should be. Get used to it.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's like they just pretend that Pinner never happened, just like they pretend that the permitless carry status has no effect on the prohibited person statutes, and the authority LEOs have to deal with prohibited persons in possession.

That was pure Copaganda on WIBC. 7 guns "walking away", what horses**t. African American (or Hispanic, the new statute is extremely popular with those of Hispanic heritage I have found) drivers that they could not hassle.

Absolutely maddening.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

No, they can run 27s on drivers and use the new Supreme Court database. It's just copaganda and excuse making.

With the repeal of the license cops are big mad they lost a lever over the African-American community and I have been busting their balls over it since July 1st. Just made my first as applied equal protection argument last Thursday. Damn they were pissed, even sent the City Attorney over to watch it and call the chief.

From 2009 to 2019 African Americans made up 53% of arrests in Lafayette, Indiana for Carrying a Handgun Without a License. African-Americans make up 5.2% of the population of Lafayette. Cops lost a big stick to poke Blacks with and they are really, really mad.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    They run 27’s and 28’s as a matter of course for just about every stop I think.

Mad!!!, ****’em your county cops as well as your pros. atty. are criminals I and my atty. told them so to there face. I hope they stay mad, hope they can’t sleep, hope they stress out and resign. Then get some good cops in there and do away with the “good old boys” club.

Apologies to the op. Tipp. Co. cops get me riled.

Good on you Kirk, do your best for your city. You’ve got my best wishes.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They run 27’s and 28’s as a matter of course for just about every stop I think.

Mad!!!, ****’em your county cops as well as your pros. atty. are criminals I and my atty. told them so to there face. I hope they stay mad, hope they can’t sleep, hope they stress out and resign. Then get some good cops in there and do away with the “good old boys” club.

Apologies to the op. Tipp. Co. cops get me riled.

Good on you Kirk, do your best for your city. You’ve got my best wishes.
    I don't think the prosecutors are ready for Bruen yet as when I brought it up last Thursday, he asked what a Bruen was.:D

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    From 2009 to 2019 African Americans made up 53% of arrests in Lafayette, Indiana for Carrying a Handgun Without a License. African-Americans make up 5.2% of the population of Lafayette. Cops lost a big stick to poke Blacks with and they are really, really mad.
    Wow, 53% of arrests...and NO other charges at time of arrest I am assuming

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why the police brass in that press conference want permission slips so they can do this to racial minorities. If you want to reduce the number of racial minorities shot by cops, eliminate the gun laws:

Top Bottom