• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I work with a very nice lady whose husband would like to get a firearm for protection around the home. She’s not against it, but she wants both herself and her husband to go through a basic training/education course beforehand. She has admitted to having a fear of guns because of past experiences, but she wants to get past that, and go about things the right way.
    They’re a young couple with 3 young kids, so money is an obstacle.

I seem to recall seeing something about a discounted couples NRA Basic course, but am unable to locate it with the search. Admittedly, my Search-Fu is weak.

Does anyone know of a place in central Indiana that offers such a thing?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I work with a very nice lady whose husband would like to get a firearm for protection around the home. She’s not against it, but she wants both herself and her husband to go through a basic training/education course beforehand. She has admitted to having a fear of guns because of past experiences, but she wants to get past that, and go about things the right way.

I seem to recall seeing something about a discounted couples NRA Basic course, but am unable to locate it with the search. Admittedly, my Search-Fu is weak.

Check with USDS in Greenwood. I hear that Charlie is (or soon will be) teaching that class there. If the gang there wouldnt be helpful for a couple like that, I'd be surprised.

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm headed to USDS tonight, so I'll check in with them, and I've passed on the groupon/Tactical Firearms information.

I appreciate all the help on this.
    I'm really proud of this young lady, and the fact she's willing to work on her own fears to make her family safer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Please consider our Pistol Basics 1 course on 29 MAR 2014 near Terre Haute. We've have many husband and wife teams in our classes. It's not an NRA class, but it's a great introduction to both firearms safety and the fundamentals of marksmanship.

You will have the opportunity to do more shooting than in most NRA Basic Pistol classes. It will only take half of your day as well, and tuition is only $65.

Here is a link: ACT Pistol Basics

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Absolutely. I'll pass it along. I don't know if they're up for a drive to the haute or not, but more option seem like a good thing to me. Thanks!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I seem to recall seeing something about a discounted couples NRA Basic course, but am unable to locate it with the search.

We are not in central Indiana (Fort Wayne,) but, perhaps it is Indiana Firearms Training you may have seen. Our Handgun I class is exactly the NRA Basic Pistol course without having to pay for NRA materials. We are able to hold prices down that way. There is a $20 discount for doing both Handgun I and II on the same weekend and an additional $40 one-time discount for both husband and wife taking both classes on the same weekend. We do have a female NRA Certified Instructor on staff, and our classes are extremely woman friendly, by design.

Please browse the website and let us know if there is interest. We would be delighted to serve.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Guy Relford / Tactical Firearms has an indoor shooting range he can use to train as well as Eagle Creek Pistol Range.
    Tim's Shooting Academy of Westfield - indoor shooting range and gun store

Tactical Firearms
    Tactical Firearms Training

Below is a groupon for Tactical Firearms
    Tactical Firearms Training Indianapolis Deal of the Day | Groupon Indianapolis

Aron Bright aka Coach on INGO
    Bright Firearms Training

Thanks for the reference. I give a "couples discount" as well.

Guy

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Its not basic, and its not in Indiana, but it isn't that far... You might check out a true Partners class like the Partner Tactics class at TDI in Ohio. I had a good experience with the class and it really focuses on working together. They are going to want you to have some training before you can attend. They prefer you have gone through thier curriculum to get it. Though, I attended based on training at other places. Just something to consider for the future, after you've got some other training and experience under your belt.

jpr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    We are not in central Indiana (Fort Wayne,) but, perhaps it is Indiana Firearms Training you may have seen. Our Handgun I class is exactly the NRA Basic Pistol course without having to pay for NRA materials. We are able to hold prices down that way. There is a $20 discount for doing both Handgun I and II on the same weekend and an additional $40 one-time discount for both husband and wife taking both classes on the same weekend. We do have a female NRA Certified Instructor on staff, and our classes are extremely woman friendly, by design.

Please browse the website and let us know if there is interest. We would be delighted to serve.

I will second Bob's class. My wife and I took two classes. The first class is very beginner friendly.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Please consider our Pistol Basics 1 course on 29 MAR 2014 near Terre Haute. We've have many husband and wife teams in our classes. It's not an NRA class, but it's a great introduction to both firearms safety and the fundamentals of marksmanship.

You will have the opportunity to do more shooting than in most NRA Basic Pistol classes. It will only take half of your day as well, and tuition is only $65.

Here is a link: ACT Pistol Basics

So...more time shooting and less safety instruction? I'm not knocking the quality of your services (I certainly don't have any first hand knowledge), just that what you wrote makes it sound like there's a much lower emphasis on teaching before handing someone a firearm. Hopefully that's incorrect, just consider this an FYI that others might make a similar assumption.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So...more time shooting and less safety instruction? I'm not knocking the quality of your services (I certainly don't have any first hand knowledge), just that what you wrote makes it sound like there's a much lower emphasis on teaching before handing someone a firearm. Hopefully that's incorrect, just consider this an FYI that others might make a similar assumption.

I will vouch for Rhino. I have no doubt that the ACT guys cover the safety topic in detail. The classroom discussion in NRA Basic Pistol is actually pretty long compared to the amount of shooting that people actually get to do. Basic Pistol is a good course and well suited for people needing a familiarization level presentation. Truthfully there a lot of people out there that could benefit from NRA Basic Pistol (or any other similar course).

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

How much teaching does it take before you hand them the firearm? I can take someone through all the necessary safety rules and safe gun handling considerations in 15 minutes standing on the range before I let them get in to the real meat of using the firearm. Re-emphasis and course correction can be made with close supervision, and it will stick better. The majority of the four or five classroom hours during NRA basic pistol is spent covering broad firearm familiarization topics. Why do you assume safety and use of a firearm can't be taught primarily on the range? Or at least in less time than the typical NRA Basic Pistol course uses in the classroom?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You infer incorrectly. Safety is the primary emphasis of the course and continues throughout the entirety of the time the students are in our presence.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You infer incorrectly. Safety is the primary emphasis of the course and continues throughout the entirety of the time the students are in our presence.

For the record, I assumed as much, but the "less money less time" advertising sounds bad. If I ever get your way, I'd love to check it out myself. That's a great price for quality instruction, particularly with the loaner guns. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For the record, I assumed as much, but the "less money less time" advertising sounds bad. If I ever get your way, I'd love to check it out myself. That's a great price for quality instruction, particularly with the loaner guns. :)

I appreciate the feedback! Our experience shows otherwise, though. It's much easier for most busy people to free themselves for a half day class than it is for a full day, much 2-5 days straight. In addition, most people don't do a lot of learning after the first few hours. Two hours in the classroom followed by two hours on the range works very well. The same half day/4-5 hour model works well for our other offerings as well. My one-hand class for example has worked very well in a half day format.

Top Bottom