Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    NRA Basic Personal Protection - March 15th - Columbus/Seymour

Basic Personal Protection in the Home

Date: March 15th

Time: 8:30 am - 6:00 pm

Duration: 9 Hour Course

Cost: $100/person or $150/couple

Deposit: $25 and I will mail you the book prior to class.

Location: Sand Creek Conservation Club, 9010 N CR 1000W, Elizabethtown, IN 47232

Prerequisite: NRA Basic Pistol, F.I.R.S.T., DD-214, Hoosier Hills Handgun Familiarization, Hoosier Hills BHHM, Columbus or Seymour PD Firearms Safety, Appleseed, FL/UT/AZ CWL, USPSA/IDPA competition or consent of instructors. Please feel free to contact me regarding these requirements. NRA F.I.R.S.T. is available to private groups prior to this course.

Online Registration: NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

NRA Personal Protection in the Home is the organization's introductory self defense course. This course is very introductory and suitable to a wide range of audiences. The class bridges the gap between a basic introduction to handgun course and what I would consider a traditional defensive pistol skills course. This course is split approximately 50/50 classroom and live fire. Students will be given a refresher in the NRA's 3 rules of firearms safety and have an open discussion about ethical responsibility, mindset, mental awareness, & psychological/physiological reactions to a shooting. Presentations also include discussion about the use of force. Students will fire approximately 100-150 rounds depending on experience level of those attending and of course ammunition availability. Live fire exercises include shooting fundamentals, firing multiple shots, cover/concealment and shooting from the kneeling position.

This is an NRA course so expect some political correctness, but I assure you that the topics and presentation are very adult in nature. This course does meet the requirements for a FL non-resident CWL and I will have the applications available.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Nate

AARs:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-protection-home-elizabethtown-2-23-13-a.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics-training/238077-nra-ppith-elizabethtown-aar.html

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    This is an NRA course so expect some political correctness

Would you clarify this? What kind of political correctness are you talking about? My brain does not compute. I can't imagine. For example, "Don't shoot gays just for being gay" would seem like good legal and ethical advice. Are you supposed to teach your students to respect people who carry a small caliber with a short barrel, even when size clearly matters? Or do you mean there is a whole section on not grabbing boobs and asses?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    LOL. No. Although your buttocks will be safe.

Examples. NRA does not want us referring to a gun as a weapon, rather it is a tool of last resort or a firearm. We don't shoot to kill, we stop the threat. We don't use humanoid targets. Basically the organization doesn't want you posting pictures on Facebook of people shooting Osama Bin Laden targets at an NRA course.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Back up. This is a great introductory class and is really well suited for couples to do together. Comfortable facilities with a lot of personal attention on the firing line.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I had some questions about the pre-requisite requirements for this course. I would encourage you to refer to the AARs linked in the first post. NRA specifies Basic Pistol as a requirement. To be honest I have attended courses with no pre-requisite that were faster paced then PPITH. If you have firearms experience then I see no reason why a person could not attend. There are however people out there that have never handled a gun and might be nervous about shooting in front of other people. If that is the situation I would like to set up a time to work with them for a few hours so they feel prepared. If a person has some shooting experience, a positive attitude and feels comfortable safely loading, unloading and maintaining their firearm then I would be happy to have them in class.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bump. Going to order a few more student packets today. I am expecting small enrollment for this one. It is still winter outside. Should be a great value for those in attendance. Plan is to break in a new assistant instructor this time round.

Top Bottom