• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Haven't seen an AAR started yet, so will get one going. My wife and I attended NRA Personal Protection in the Home today in Elizabethtown Indiana.

Details about the training can be found here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...onal_protection_ppith_columbus_sept_29th.html

This was the first time my wife and I had trained together in over a year, and we were both glad we went. The instructors did a superb job in the classroom sessions, as well as in the range sessions.

My wife became much more comfortable with her Colt Defender 9mm 1911, which until today, she hadn't shot much at all. As evidence of this, near the end of the course, she loaded and made ready in a nice fluid motion, then had to stop and think...did she really load and make ready? The point being it had become fluid movements, and no longer took concentration on each manipulation to complete it. It was beginning to become repeatable.

A few key take aways:

Mindset: Never give up!

Safety: Remember the 3 NRA rules (as well as the more notable "4 rules") to ensure safety at all times.

Awareness: Be aware of your surroundings at all times, including during reloads. Don't forget to scan for threats prior to the reload or prior to re-holstering.

Plan: What are you going to do in the event that an intruder is in your home? What do you need to have handy? What do you say after the fact during the police investigation if you did fire your weapon in self defence? Who do you call?

On a lighter note, we also found out that despite what VERT says about carboard, it is in fact "CONCEALMENT" not "Cover!" I will fess up right away that I sent two rounds through the "Cover" during the shooting from cover drills. Both impacted exactly where I was aiming, after they passed through the very edge of the cardboard concealment.

The serious take away from that is what carbine shooters already know...don't forget about sight offset. While it is less than a rifle, such as the AR, there is still enough of an offset that you can have a good sight picture on your target, and still clip the edge of the object you are behind. In my case it made no difference. However, if it was a concrete wall, metal file cabinet, dresser, car, etc., I could have missed the target, and may have been injured from splatter from the impact so close to me.

All in all it was a GREAT training, and one that I highly recommend. Kudos again to the instructors, and a special thank-you to Mrs. Vert for the wonderful lunch she prepared for us! :rockwoot:

GSquared

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Columbus
    Thanks for the compliments! It is nice to get accolades from someone that shoots as well as you do!!! Watch the kids so your wife can do dry fire practice or head to the range......Gordon

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I second what J16 said. Great time with great people. The class was informative and interesting with a good mix of classroom and range time. I thing everybody did well on the range, it was interesting to see the progress of shooters getting more proficient even with the added steps and stress being applied.

Note, the Wifey wanted me to let you all know that she apologized for not taking part in the range exercises today but she wanted to take in the class room time and view the other shooters and get some pointers on what to do and what not to do and she will be going to the range soon to do her part to be ready.

Our own Que doing the range time portion.
    0A6E2064-ACE1-4339-8636-4B386CACB22D-11844-000010F33ED9A3ED.jpg

2121329D-3D6F-4978-B73B-E154339F300A-11844-000010F330C66A65.jpg

1A961488-B190-4672-B231-8E1BD1971418-11844-000010F2FE4510C3.jpg

Taking pics of the pic taker.
    B8E1AA87-69AF-498A-8343-B37A9DBAA234-11844-000010F2D54B9004.jpg

892AB6DC-F7C6-4DFC-B562-F28488AA428A-11844-000010F27BE6C5F6.jpg

4193DB8C-16EC-4DB5-A541-FA2CC208C4DE-11844-000010F27536A987.jpg

768E0C5B-C98B-4D1D-944A-4956E22105D7-11844-000010F26C688737.jpg

87DFCEF8-8FE9-4762-BE4E-8A8B0A95B0EE-11844-000010F2646DA7B7.jpg

Again, thanks to all the instructors who took time out of their day to help promote safety and help us defend our homes better.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just got back from Nashville. Thank you for starting the AAR. Hammer excellent pictures. This was our first PPITH course. I had a lot of fun, but boy am I tired. Good shooting everyone.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just for the record cardboard is is fact concealment. The point is that you weren't supposed to shoot it. ;). I wouldn't be to hard on anybody though. I have a couple plastic 55 gallon barrels that have a couple small "scuffs" on them from my shooting around them.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It was an excellent course. I can say this with honesty. Even with my Military training, and as much as I shoot. I came away with more knowledge, and just not on the firing line. I got a lot of positive feedback, and was made aware of things I can improve on. Que did a great job on the law portion of the class. A big thanks to Vert, and his wife for the awesome lunch. I would also like to thank the instructors and my fellow classmates. If you are looking for a pistol class. I would not hesitate to train with these guys.

Last edited:

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Thanks for posting this AAR! My wife and I both want to take the NRA PPITH course in the near future. This gives a bit of perspective on what to expect.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I really enjoyed the class it was great!Thanks again to all the instuctors .
    And Vert please tell Julie thanks for the lunch!
    I look foward to taking more classes or shooting
    With you guys again

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    Thanks to all who came to the class. As stated, we had perfect weather, Vert, Mrs. Vert, Vert's FIL and the other instructors put on a fine class.

Clearly, the cirriculum is set by the NRA and contains a lot of good information. Hopefully, we were able to deliver that mesage and add to it.

We had a great group of students, great weather, great food, great facility.. so, its hard to not to have fun.

Thanks for the kind words and I hope to see you guys on the range soon.

Craig

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Where are my like a boos videos? I understand if no wants to be embarrassed.

Yeah, I didn't get any of you since I was shooting in the lane next to you. I will vouch for your skills though!

Btw, Mrs. Jblomenberg16 has a nice battle scar from Saturday. That 9mm case that got stuck between her glasses and right temple left a nice burn. I'm proud of her though...even with hot brass burning her face, she kept the gun down range and safe!

Last edited:

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Yeah, I didn't get any of you since I was shooting in the lane next to you. I will vouch for your skills though!

Btw, Mrs. Jblomenberg16 has a nice battle scare from Saturday. That 9mm case that got stuck between her glasses and right temple left a nice burn. I'm proud of her though...even with hot brass burning her face, she kept the gun down range and safe!

She is definitely a trooper for keeping things in order when that happened. I bet you never have to tell her to wear a hat now.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Btw, Mrs. Jblomenberg16 has a nice battle scar from Saturday. That 9mm case that got stuck between her glasses and right temple left a nice burn. I'm proud of her though...even with hot brass burning her face, she kept the gun down range and safe!

Not only did she keep the muzzle down range but she went on to finish the course of fire.

Then it took us looking through 4 first aid kits before we found some burn cream. 1 from your truck, 1 from my car, 1 from my computer bag, 1 from ?, the kits in the range bags were on the range. I think they ended up finding some in the first aid kit at the club. Apparently we aren't as prepared as we thought.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Apparently we aren't as prepared as we thought.

But at least you learned something, right? ;) As you guys get started I'm sure this will occur frequently (learning, not burning :laugh:). It's a good thing. :yesway:

Top Bottom