• ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Here is some of the wording:

Styling trends are almost as alarming. Pickup truck front ends have warped into scowling brick walls, billboards for outwardly directed hostility. “The goal of modern truck grilles,” wrote Jalopnik’s Jason Torchinsky in 2018, “seems to be… about creating a massive, brutal face of rage and intimidation.”

One key driver of pickup growth relates to how they are now being used. If you overlook their gleefully violent styling and garage-unfriendly footprint, these vehicles have become more practical as family vehicles.

In 2020, 85% of pickup trucks sold had “crew cabs” or “extended crew cabs” or one of a handful of other tough-guy euphemisms with two sets of seats for five people — most with four doors.

Personal vehicles are not merely functional appliances: They are used as refuges, fortresses and private enclaves, and serve as important signifiers of class and gender identity, as Sovacool explored in a 2018 study.

To Albert, the booming appeal of bigger and more brutish trucks reflects “a crisis of masculinity,” he says. “Nothing could be more emasculating than driving a minivan. So you want the vehicle that’s going to maintain your performative masculinity.”

And of course, because Trump:'

The fact that supersized pickup trucks were often deployed as political props (and weapons) during the Trump era did not escape the notice of scholars like Cara Daggett, a professor of political science at Virginia Tech. In a widely shared 2018 journal article, Daggett coined the term “petro-masculinity” to describe flamboyant expressions of fossil fuel use by men (and some women as well, but mostly men) as a reaction against social progress. To these drivers, “the affront of global warming or environmental regulations appear as insurgents on par with the dangers posed by feminists and queer movements seeking to leach energy and power from the state/traditional family,” she wrote.

And that's where I had to stop. What utter ********.
    Makes me want to go ahead and drop the $1800 to delete my new-to-me ‘12 Cummins. I must be some sort of caveman to have that reaction, but whatever.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Makes me want to go ahead and drop the $1800 to delete my new-to-me ‘12 Cummins. I must be some sort of caveman to have that reaction, but whatever.
    Makes me want to buy a huge truck. I wish I had kept my Tundra Crew Cab. Now I only have a Tacoma, but I'll drive it proudly anyway. **** these pansy ass commies who want everyone to bow down to their every damn wish. I've got a pronoun for them. It's called GFY.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Makes me want to buy a huge truck. I wish I had kept my Tundra Crew Cab. Now I only have a Tacoma, but I'll drive it proudly anyway. **** these pansy ass commies who want everyone to bow down to their every damn wish. I've got a pronoun for them. It's called GFY.

I want to double "like" that.
    One "like" isn't enough.
    :)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Haha, my Tundra Crew is up on jack stands as we speak with the 4wd not working, and I can’t live without that. I love it as my daily but the Ram 3500 actually gets way better mpg.
    Should probably be under it right now, but probably not gonna happen tonight.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I read about half of it before I had to stop, the stupid hurt too much.

Here is some of the wording:

Styling trends are almost as alarming. Pickup truck front ends have warped into scowling brick walls, billboards for outwardly directed hostility. “The goal of modern truck grilles,” wrote Jalopnik’s Jason Torchinsky in 2018, “seems to be… about creating a massive, brutal face of rage and intimidation.”

One key driver of pickup growth relates to how they are now being used. If you overlook their gleefully violent styling and garage-unfriendly footprint, these vehicles have become more practical as family vehicles.

In 2020, 85% of pickup trucks sold had “crew cabs” or “extended crew cabs” or one of a handful of other tough-guy euphemisms with two sets of seats for five people — most with four doors.

Personal vehicles are not merely functional appliances: They are used as refuges, fortresses and private enclaves, and serve as important signifiers of class and gender identity, as Sovacool explored in a 2018 study.

To Albert, the booming appeal of bigger and more brutish trucks reflects “a crisis of masculinity,” he says. “Nothing could be more emasculating than driving a minivan. So you want the vehicle that’s going to maintain your performative masculinity.”

And of course, because Trump:'

The fact that supersized pickup trucks were often deployed as political props (and weapons) during the Trump era did not escape the notice of scholars like Cara Daggett, a professor of political science at Virginia Tech. In a widely shared 2018 journal article, Daggett coined the term “petro-masculinity” to describe flamboyant expressions of fossil fuel use by men (and some women as well, but mostly men) as a reaction against social progress. To these drivers, “the affront of global warming or environmental regulations appear as insurgents on par with the dangers posed by feminists and queer movements seeking to leach energy and power from the state/traditional family,” she wrote.

And that's where I had to stop. What utter ********.
    :lmfao:Hahaha they haven’t broached the subject of “rollin’ coal.” If I had a diesel with a stack, I’d drive around Broad Ripple and Bloomington just get a rise out of ‘em.
    This.
    This is what has been, but is coming even more in a big way. Feminization, meekness.
    It is high time for disobedience.
    I have a great picture to post here but can’t, alas it has naughty words on it. It says “Harden the **** up.” I’m about to go outside and flip the tire while I smoke a cigar and drink whiskey, most likely while wearing an American flag tank top...
    And you just helped me when it comes to pronouns. If I ever decide to put them on something of importance,
    It might read:

jsx1043, go/f***/yourself

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I see almost as many woman driving big trucks as I do men. Maybe whoever wrote that article should write about the kinds of people that drive these kinds of lifted beasts?

1615769260564.png

1615769297114.png

1615769354846.png

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Nope. 2 stage snowblower, always on. If you're gonna hit it, shred it.

Go big or go home.

My only beef is guys who overcompensate with a big 2500/F250 or bigger and all they do is commute. Hell, I know one guy with a 3500 and its a grocery getter. He doesnt even OWN anything that needs towed. SMH. Granted, although I think its ridiculous, I won't deny them their right to spend too much money on the truck, gas, tires, etc. :dunno:

EDIT: And I'm surprised they havent tried to go after big trucks sooner, but for environmental reasons. They use the same reasoning with guns. "Nobody needs a gun that powerful!" Well, by that logic, nobody needs a sports car, you only need a truck if you are towing something, etc. The logic between the two arguments is parallel. (and ridiculous)
    If i had the money id own a kodiak. Do i have anything that requires a kodiak to pull it? No, but ive never heard anyone complain that their truck has too much power. Until then ill have to sit and complain that Ive owned motorcycles that produced more power than my S10

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like that and I have used it. In person. FTF.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I’m so very disappointed that it is a paywalled article...I just sat down with fresh glass of bourbon and was ready to make some cuckolded beta males cry in the comments.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    :lmfao:Hahaha they haven’t broached the subject of “rollin’ coal.” If I had a diesel with a stack, I’d drive around Broad Ripple and Bloomington just get a rise out of ‘em.

I have a great picture to post here but can’t, alas it has naughty words on it. It says “Harden the **** up.” I’m about to go outside and flip the tire while I smoke a cigar and drink whiskey, most likely while wearing an American flag tank top...

And you just helped me when it comes to pronouns. If I ever decide to put them on something of importance,
    It might read:

jsx1043, go/f***/yourself
    Please make sure to wear your mask while your out.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    A side note, the Excursion is so popular that they still command high prices relative to other similar age vehicles and a brisk business has been built doing high dollar restoration to modern equipment and new condition. I have read some are spending between $35,000-$50,000 for this.

As a Excursion owner I can verify prices for these beast are rising. Low mileage diesel Excursions are bringing just what you say, $35K to $50K for a 20 year old truck. Even the V10s, if in really nice condition are bumping up into the $15K range.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    :nono: Cummins recently implemented mandatory Defeat Device Awareness and Prevention training for all employees. Don't make me report you.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The "author" of that piece would love my family. 2500 series truck and 5 Jeeps. My wife prefers her Jeep over any car. Suspect even SHE is too masculine for that poor, meek little author.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Trucks, just trucks...then it’s ok. They will never come for my Jeep. Isn’t this how the “you don’t need those evil nasty black rifles” gang thinks?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just like everything else I've purchased legally and they want to ban or make illegal, they can **** off. Matter of fact, if this gets traction, I'll be needing new tires again before winter and it might just be be time to upgrade to those 37's I've been considering and maybe with a few more inches of lift. We're a 3 Ram family and that ain't changing any time soon.

r9JrM07h.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As a Excursion owner I can verify prices for these beast are rising. Low mileage diesel Excursions are bringing just what you say, $35K to $50K for a 20 year old truck. Even the V10s, if in really nice condition are bumping up into the $15K range.
    My post was misunderstood, I was saying folks were spending $35K-$50K for the refurb. Last I knew the used were typically in the $20K range but not surprised they would go up if in great shape. Some of the refurb shops will take a V10 model and put a new diesel in it. Some also update the instruments, controls, and entertainment to current standards.

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side
    20201226_132538.jpg
    And here I was thinking I got a practical use vehicle for both hauling my kids and anything else I needed/wanted to, but alas I was just trying to be overly masculine with my terrible crew cab decision.
    :dunno:

Top Bottom