• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    I actually would like to know what the deal with this now is? I was planning on flying to Northern Virginia and check one of my guns. Now this sounds that they may be able to give you a hard time when you want to declare it at the counter
    No you're fine. Business as usual, just absolutely let them know that you are checking in a firearm and you'll have to declare it as empty and probably sign something stating so.

And whatever you do, ask the person when you check the bag that you would like to be present when the TSA checks it out. That way you don't have to surrender your key to anyone behind a closed door while they rifle through your belongings. PRINT OUT the specific TSA rules and take them with you for proof. If anyone gives you flack show them your printout. The people that work there are ignorant of their own rules and regulations.

Last edited:

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    Got this answer back.

Thank you for the additional information regarding your feedback.. According to our Police Department, you need written permission from the Indianapolis Airport Authority Executive Director to carry firearms or explosives on airport property. This is based on Airport Ordinance 1-1986 Section 2.13 below. This is the reasoning for the sign wording on the sliding doors. Please let me know if you would like to get written permission from the Executive Director and I can figure out the steps it would take to do so.

Thank you,
    Katie

I will post the reply when I get the information.
    I'm gonna go ahead and call ******** on that. I can't find such a thing anywhere on their website.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    +1 on printing out the rules. But, also check with the airline. Some have their own policies and procedures in addition to the TSA ones, esp. about ammunition. Also, print TWO copies; one for you and one to give to those who might "need" a copy. Just be calm and polite when referring to the printed copies and you should be fine.

BTW - it's OK with TSA if the ammo and unloaded firearm are in the same locked container as long as the ammo is boxed properly (and as long as you can check ammo with your airline). Here's the TSA link for reference.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

No you're fine. Business as usual, just absolutely let them know that you are checking in a firearm and you'll have to declare it as empty and probably sign something stating so.

And whatever you do, ask the person when you check the bag that you would like to be present when the TSA checks it out. That way you don't have to surrender your key to anyone behind a closed door while they rifle through your belongings. PRINT OUT the specific TSA rules and take them with you for proof. If anyone gives you flack show them your printout. The people that work there are ignorant of their own rules and regulations.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would strongly advise that you also check carefully any laws in any cities or towns that you will pass through on your flight. People have been pulled out of airports and arrested and jailed simply because they were unaware. At least two individuals transferred through NYC with declared weapons (TSA and FAA approved) and spent time in their jail. Be very very careful. I still don't understand how we are supposed to walk into OUR airport and declare a weapon for travel with Airport Ordinance 1-1986 Section 2.13 in effect.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I would strongly advise that you also check carefully any laws in any cities or towns that you will pass through on your flight. People have been pulled out of airports and arrested and jailed simply because they were unaware. At least two individuals transferred through NYC with declared weapons (TSA and FAA approved) and spent time in their jail. Be very very careful. I still don't understand how we are supposed to walk into OUR airport and declare a weapon for travel with Airport Ordinance 1-1986 Section 2.13 in effect.

And what exactly is (as in the actual text) Airport Ordinance 1-1986 Section 2.13, when was it enacted, and on whose authority?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Finding out how to get permission. Will let you know when I find out.

Here is the Airport Ordinance 1-1986 Section 2.13

airportpv5.gif

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I sent a few questions such as what would you be arrested for if you were carrying legally and about carrying to the counter for check-in, although I think Federal Law would protect you as long as it was secured and traveling through.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hoosier8, nice work! Did your source for this give a date or citing authority? I agree with other posters who claim this is BS. But " shall result in arrest and prosecution" sounds like an ordinance to me. And I'm pretty sure I know who is going to doing the arresting part.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The nice lady at the Airport that I am emailing has been very helpful with information and is going to find out the next steps to get permission from the Executive Director. Yes, it is an ordinance but I have no clue what that means legally.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The nice lady at the Airport that I am emailing has been very helpful with information and is going to find out the next steps to get permission from the Executive Director. Yes, it is an ordinance but I have no clue what that means legally.

I dislike that the airport seems to think you need permission. We already have permission in the form of the US Constitution, the Indiana State Constitution, and the Indiana firearm statutes.

Unless either the airport or the local constabulary can cite a specific and valid law stating you can't carry a firearm in the non-sterile areas of the airport, then it's complete BS.

Top Bottom