No one hurt in college classroom shooting in Va.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Since no one was hurt looks like the media dropped this story earlier today.

WOODBRIDGE, Va. – In a scene reminiscent of other school shootings, a Northern Virginia Community College teacher spotted a weapon and ducked to avoid gunfire. Students ran from the classroom building while others barricaded themselves inside, piling desks in front of doors.
    This time, though, no one was hurt.
    Police said Jason Michael Hamilton, 20, opened fire in a classroom Tuesday with a high-powered rifle, but did not hit anyone and surrendered peacefully in a hallway. He was later charged with attempted murder and discharging a firearm in a school zone and was being held without bond.
    A neighbor described Hamilton as a loner who lived in his family's basement in an affluent new subdivision near the school in Woodbridge, about 25 miles south of Washington, D.C. Two police cars were outside his home and wouldn't let reporters close.
    Whether Hamilton had hired an attorney was not immediately clear; neither was a motive for the shooting.
    Prince William County Police spokeswoman Kim Chinn said the unidentified teacher ducked when the student opened fire.
    "When she saw the gun, she hit the floor," Chinn said.
    In a classroom nearby, biology professor Miriam St. Clair said she heard a loud noise.
    "It sounded like a desk fell over and we heard another loud pop, we knew it was a gunshot," said St. Clair, of McLean, Va.
    When St. Clair looked out the window, she saw students fleeing. The professor told her students to get inside the classroom and they piled about 20 desks against a door that didn't have a lock. About 2 1/2 hours later, a SWAT team came and told them it was safe.
    "We were very frightened," said St. Clair, 58.
    Police spokeswoman Sharon Richardson said officers responded about 2:40 p.m. to an "active shooter" following reports of a gunman in the main administration building.
    The college enacted its emergency lockdown and later issued a statement saying all Woodbridge classes were canceled. Some students, faculty and staff were sent to a nearby high school.
    All classrooms are in one building and the students were in lockdown until about 5:30 p.m. Swat teams went into each classroom during the lockdown, said Chinn, who didn't know how many students were inside or how many shots were fired.
    One of the suspect's neighbors said Hamilton's parents moved to the subdivision about three years ago and he sometimes saw the suspect jogging alone, or with his mother.
    "He's always by himself, he's always isolated," said Daren Edwards, 38.

SOURE:
    No one hurt in college classroom shooting in Va. - Yahoo! News

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If no one was hurt, what was he shooting at?

According to the various online articles on this he shoot twice using a "high power rifle" at the teacher before walking out of the classroom. He walked into the classroom with the rifle in a bag, pulled it out, fired twice, and left.

The teacher claims to have seen him pull out the rifle and s/he fell to the floor. Students in the adjacent room barracked themselves inside their room. :rolleyes:

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    But... but... but guns aren't allowed on campus! Therefore, this didn't happen.

Further proof, as was nicely stated about Chicago recently, that all we need is to make guns on campus double-secret illegal. That'll stop the bad guys. Yeah. That's it.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    But... but... but guns aren't allowed on campus! Therefore, this didn't happen.

Further proof, as was nicely stated about Chicago recently, that all we need is to make guns on campus double-secret illegal. That'll stop the bad guys. Yeah. That's it.

:yesway: :laugh:

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Since no one was hurt looks like the media dropped this story earlier today.

-jediagh

I agree completely, the main stream media are such violence whores, they want ratings and typically do not care about spreading information that is meaningful to the public unless it brings in the $$. This one didn't bring in the dollars so most of us didn't hear about it.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    22? :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness praise the lord no one was hurt!

Not sure what caliber the rifle was. None of the articles I read stated it. They just stated "high power rifle" which I took to mean some type of "hunting looking non black" rifle. Cause in the media's eyes if it's a black rifle it is an assault weapon and if it's a wooden stock type then it's a "high power rifle". They would not call it a .22 caliber rifle becuase even if true that is NOT sensational and does not brig up "hollywood images" of dangerious rifles that with one shot will send you thru the door with blood splatters everywhere.

In terms of
    If you were in the adjacent classroom CC, what would you have done?

1) You would be facing exposluion from Purdue if I am not mistaken be it you stopped or did not stop the killer even if you saved lifes.

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    Let me tweak that question a bit...

Imagine it was also in Indiana where CC is NOT illegal - just against <s>school </s><i>institution </i>policy.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Let me tweak that question a bit...

Imagine it was also in Indiana where CC is NOT illegal - just against <s>school </s><i>institution </i>policy.

& thus why I stated "purdue" in my comment.
    Say this occured at Purdue no matter what the outcome on your part you ar going to be expelled from the school.

1) you shot & kill the killer
    2) you shot & miss the killer but focus the killer to focus on you and allow your classmates to leave
    3) you hold the killer & gun point and wait for police
    4) etc.., etc.., etc...

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    Thank you, dean.

I asked what someone'd do in a hypothetical situation. Not what'd they think would happen as a result thereof. I personally wouldn't care what happened to me afterward. I'd be alive to accept my termination papers in person.

But, thank you for your opinion nonetheless.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    How about less speculating and more googleing.

WOODBRIDGE, Va. (CBS/AP) The Tuesday shooting at Northern Virginia Community College could have been a lot worse, if it wasn't for Jason Michael Hamilton's crappy rifle, according to police accounts.

Hamilton, 20, fired two shots at mathematics professor Tatyana Kravchuk, but was unable to continue after his gun jammed, Prince William County police Maj. Ray Colgan said. The professor was able to duck behind a desk and was not hit. No one was injured.

"Probably what prevented a further tragedy was that the gun jammed," Colgan said.

Hamilton bought the Marlin .30-06 bolt-action rifle Monday at a Dick's Sporting Goods store near the campus, police said.

Jason Michael Hamilton's Rifle Jammed After 2 Shots in Northern Virginia College Shooting, Say Cops - Crimesider - CBS News

He was upset about bad grades. Don't that just burn you up?

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Your quiet welcome "purdue student". :D;)

I'll try and answeryour question but feel that my answer & everyone's will be bias since we now know what actually occured.

The scenario like I read it based on your post is as follows:

Classroom 101:
    A loud sound is hear in the classroom. You know that it is gunfirem since you have been arund guns long enough to know how they sound.

A few seconds later you hear the sound again and this time your prof is yelling to the class "Shots fired, call 911, moev the desk to the door".

---

So what can you do now?

1) Help continue to barricade the desks on the door and not show your 1911.
    2) Pul out your 1911 (everything else is just not manly *cough* GLOCK *cough*. ;):):) and inform the class to stop, you are going to investigate
    3) You are still sitting in your desk with brown stains in your shorts.

I'll skip 3 for now since it's a joke.
    Between 1 and 2 I would do 1. 2 is not tactically advantages to you at this point. Since all you have heard is 2 gunshots. How many bad guys? Is it bad guys? Do you hear anything else? Screaming? Shouting? Rifle? Handgun? Body Armor? Etc... There are to many unknows at this time and you have no answers.

The immediate concern, for me, would be to defend my immediate classmates (in the room). Begin to form a defensive barrier in case he door does get broken down. Where am I going to stand, defend from and pull my 1911. Can we get out via a back door? Windows? Etc...

Is there a way for me to protect this group and get an advantge on whomever may be out there? Can I flank them/him/her? How many in the class can help me bring down whomever comes trhu the door? Do we have 911 on the phone yet? Cn we relay intel?

---

#2 (in this case) does nothing for you. By the time you open the door to invetsigate the shooter is out of the other classroom, may be in the hall way, or may not be. I don't have the training to clear, room by room, nor should I. 911 already knows there is an active shooter & that is ALL they know. I' not wiling to risk getting shot as the "active shooter". Best siutation is when I open the door I see the shooter with the rifle. Now what? Do I shoot? Do I say "Don't move"?

At this point what do you know?
    - You heard 2 sounds that sound like gun fire
    - You see someone in the hallwy with a rifle

Did they kill somene? Is it a toy? What is the person's reaction to you? Do they look like a threat to you? All of this in split second and way to many variabes to try and determine.

#1 gives you more time to asses the situtation and prepare for an attack if any were to come. Plus in #1 unless an attack comes nobody in the class knows you are carrying yet.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hamilton bought the Marlin .30-06 bolt-action rifle Monday at a Dick's Sporting Goods store near the campus, police said.

Ohh... I think we need to ban all hunting rifles then and .30-06 ammo as well! This is not an assault rifle so those are safe and no need for us 'non-hunter assault rifle onwers" to worr about. ;)

Top Bottom