• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Depending on the hospital, it may or may not be able to tell visitors not to carry and enforce that request with trespass.

Depending on the circumstances, under federal law some hospitals are required to provide aid to emergency situations.

Apologies for the ambiguous answers to the ambiguous questions. C'est la vie.
    So shouldn't their sign say by federal or state law no weapons carry? Not the general no weapons sticker?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So shouldn't their sign say by federal or state law no weapons carry? Not the general no weapons sticker?
    If I operate an establishment that doesn't want guns, I'm not going to be too specific about it. Let the customer/patient/patron figure it out.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    For the ER's that have metal detectors I believe the common practice when walking in that entrance is to deny entry to anyone carrying until they disarm. I am unfamiliar with what is done upon discovery within the facility.

Off the topic of trespassing, to approach this from a clinical perspective, I worked for a provider group SW of Indy several years ago and there was a generic sign on the door from the waiting room to the patient care area requesting that patients not carry past that point. Before anyone lights the flames and picks up their pitchfork, from a clinical perspective our patients were frequently disrobed for primary care/internal med visits/well checks. Not every human on the planet who carries a firearm has the same regard for firearm safety and standard processes when handling a firearm (holstering, unholstering, safety, no safety, chambered, not chambered, muzzle sweeping our staff or patients while disrobing, etc...). The ask was specific to the patients and at the request of the primary physician who was retired Army before he moved into private practice. We didn't see incarcerated inmate populations like they do at Eskenazi and Methodist so the ask was based upon the physicians preferences from life experiences he did not wish to relive.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Because in Indiana, it is not that simple.
    Then Indiana needs to simplify it.

Also any place that refuses you your right to carry and self-defense if anything happens and you survive while on their property the people should be able to sue them for lack of security and damage or death of a family member.

When a business, hospital etc post that no weapons sign they are taking full responsibility for your safety in my book.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just because there is no stating that signs have the force of law doesn't mean that the law says that signs do not have the force of law.

In Indiana, I suppose a person could leave it up to a judge to decide that when they say "no guns allowed" what they mean is: "if you have a gun, you are not allowed to come in"...but frankly, depending upon a judge to decide it's too vague doesn't seem like a plan.

You're either comfortable with whatever level of risk is involved or not....or get the law changed.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    For even more fun....

What about walking into the general terminal area (ie: before TSA monkey corral) of the Indianapolis airport with a carry?

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Went to visit my brother in the ER at Methodist yesterday. Now understand I live in the country and have carried a pocket knife on my since I was like 9 years old(now 53). I walked up to the security station emptied my pockets and I thought the lady was going to have a cow when my Spyderco PM2, and mini prybar hit the tray. LOL She was saying oh no no no you cant have this in here. I was like "WHAT" you mean these tools? She said you will have to take them back to your vehicle and lock them up. Huh...............I truly didnt know. She said its right here on this sign. Well OK then.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    RE Methodist:

I'm not entirely sure if they actually do have a secure patient facility in the establishment or not. I'm under the working impression that this is the network/hospital policy that is being enforced vs. actual law.

Last time I was through Methodist, I used the front doors and there weren't detectors there. But that was YEARS ago. And, at that time, you could get through the ER to the east-facing doors without going through security. Again, however, this was YEARS ago before they installed all the ER security.

Eskanazi, yes, due to secure patient facility. But I've never been there and do not know about metal detectors.

I mean, it's actual LAW to not carry tools into the VA, yet there are zero metal detectors to pass through to gain entrance. Yet.

Redlinetoys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Started a new job and had to go to a clinic for a routine drug test. Kept the pocket LCP concealed and walked past the sign.

Ran into a near problem when I realized I had to empty my pockets and show my waistband for the nurse before going in the bathroom for a urine test

I sheepishly and quickly threw my pocket LCP in the tray with my wallet, keys and light jacket on top. Thankfully no one paid much attention snd the tray stayed in a high semi secure area until I go out of the sample room.
    I do think ahead a little more now

Top Bottom