• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so ive finally started getting a parts list and parts together for my 358bfg ive been wanting to build since they came out. so far i have a

wincester 70 25wssm coyote
    mcm stock
    dies and brass from fireball168
    and i ordered a seperate encore barrel in 358 for my father.

all i need now is a barrel and im set.

the final product will be a

trued mod 70 action
    tactical bolt knob (just because i like them)
    shelin 24 inch #5 match barrel
    mcm stock

im still deciding if i want to switch out the bottom metal and possibably add a vias muzzle brake. but it feels good to be on the way. i also think i mise well save the 25wssm barrel and make the rifle a switch barrel. a 358 will mainly be good for a few weeks a year so if i save the 25wssm barrel i can just put it on this time of year for a backup coyote rifle.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    will do. since you are a 358 owner what is youre thoughts on a brake?

Overall recoil is similar to a .308/.30-06, at least you wouldn't notice the difference shooting one or two shots in the field. (For reference my .308 is a Savage 110 FP 24" bull barrel and has an extra 12 oz. of steel in the stock, and i shoot 168gr at 2600-2700fps. It comes it at about 10 to 10.5 lbs.) For the record I'm fairly recoil sensitive; 30 rounds of .308 and I'm done for the week, and have the bruise to show for it. A box of 12GA slugs and I'm done. Shooting a dozen rounds from the .358 isn't a problem. Twenty and I feel it the next day.

I wouldn't do it just because it's loud enough already.

You know you're shooting a heavier bullet though, especially when the 200gr gets up to 2550fps and the 225gr gets close to 2400fps. The 200gr could probably be pushed a bit more with some more development. My rifle comes in at about 8.5 lbs with scope, and my barrel is a 22" straight magnum taper, 1:14" twist. You're trading action length for barrel length in your rifle, and McGowen's Savage Magnum taper looks to be similar to Shilen #5. I think if I were to do it again I would probably go one size thinner than I did and be ok, and have a faster taper after the chamber for a bit lighter rifle. A #4 would be do-able and would save a half a pound. A #3? I'm not sure, better to ask an expert if you can drill a 35 caliber hole in it, but would save about a pound.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm subscribing to this thread. I have been wanting to do the same thing on a Savage WSM gun.

i considered going with a savage action, but i think if the laws change in some way either allowing centerfire or disallowing the pistol cartriges then a trued win 70 action will have better resale or more options on what i can turn it into so i only have to chalk the barrel, brass, dies up as a loss.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Overall recoil is similar to a .308/.30-06, at least you wouldn't notice the difference shooting one or two shots in the field. (For reference my .308 is a Savage 110 FP 24" bull barrel and has an extra 12 oz. of steel in the stock, and i shoot 168gr at 2600-2700fps. It comes it at about 10 to 10.5 lbs.) For the record I'm fairly recoil sensitive; 30 rounds of .308 and I'm done for the week, and have the bruise to show for it. A box of 12GA slugs and I'm done. Shooting a dozen rounds from the .358 isn't a problem. Twenty and I feel it the next day.

I wouldn't do it just because it's loud enough already.

You know you're shooting a heavier bullet though, especially when the 200gr gets up to 2550fps and the 225gr gets close to 2400fps. The 200gr could probably be pushed a bit more with some more development. My rifle comes in at about 8.5 lbs with scope, and my barrel is a 22" straight magnum taper, 1:14" twist. You're trading action length for barrel length in your rifle, and McGowen's Savage Magnum taper looks to be similar to Shilen #5. I think if I were to do it again I would probably go one size thinner than I did and be ok, and have a faster taper after the chamber for a bit lighter rifle. A #4 would be do-able and would save a half a pound. A #3? I'm not sure, better to ask an expert if you can drill a 35 caliber hole in it, but would save about a pound.

i think ive decided to go ahead and thread it with a cap while im on the machine that way after i get some rds down range i can decide on the brake and im ready.

Top Bottom