• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I've never been much for revolvers (outside of a couple snubbies), but I recently decided to expand my horizons. I went into my LGS looking for pinned and recessed S&W but didn't find any luck. I did, however, walk out with one of the new Colt King Cobras. I took it to the range and absolutely loved it, much to my surprise. I still want an older S&W, but I also like the look and features of a lot of the newer models. However, I HATE the idea of having an internal locking device. What are your opinions on the modern S&W revolvers? Am I just being paranoid when it comes to the lock? And what are your impressions on their build and function? I really don't know much about them and welcome any input on revolvers. If you have an opinion on other manufacturers/models, I'd love to hear that as well.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    While my preferences is pre-lock SWs, if I have to be honest with myself, the new ones are quite nice.

The short answer is the best of yesterday may be better than the best of today BUT the average of today is probably better than the average of yesterday. Hope that makes sense.

The lock? Ehh - it is a travesty but would not stop me from buying, say, a 686SSR. The anecdotal reports of unintended locks are IMHO vastly overblown by the interweb.

If I was looking for a compliment to you King Cobra, I would look for a nice 686-3 or -4 but a new production gun will run just as well and hit the target it is aiming at.

This is probably my favorite model SW revolver to shoot:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    GXOjynz.jpg

Never had an issue with my 360PD and it is supposed to be a model more likely to encounter that issue. Cannot say I am a fan of the lock , but I think the internet story about them locking up guns is largely overblown (much like early P365 strikers breaking)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Hopefully BossHoss (INGO's own S&W guru) will be along shortly, he's a huge wealth of info on S&W revolvers in general, and newer "lock" models in particular. I've seen him state in previous threads that the newer ones are just about better in every way than the older ones, even with the cast/MIM parts that in his opinion will run with anything from yesteryear.

I've got a M19-5 4" (pre-lock) that may be my favorite revolver ever:

NwhJMy4.jpg

But I also have a newer 66-8 2.75" that is an absolute sweetheart of a gun. It's really a toss-up, even with the internal lock that has never caused me problems. As others have posted above, I think the IL failure issue is very much overblown.

gGJdPyi.jpg

My biggest gripe with newer models is that you should look really closely before buying for "barrel canting". While this could (and sometimes was) an issue with older pinned barrel models from the past, it drives me absolutely nuts that a barrel cannot be installed straight with the frame from the factory. If you don't know what this is, do some Googling of S&W revolvers with canted barrels. To be fair this isn't unique to S&W, as Rugers have been reported with the same problem.

I'm with @mcapo on the 686 SSR though. That is a SWEET gun. The tapered underlug (vs. the more subtle "partial" underlug) still is a strange look to me, but on the SSR it looks right.

Last edited:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I, like many prefer the old, but do have a few of the new. I've yet to have a problem with a newer version. Get one, you'll like it.

But I warn you. One smith leads to many.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My experience with S&W's are with the J-framed revolvers, but mine are pretty much in the 340 and 360 arena (aka, no 'Hillary Hole') and none seem to have any negative issues whatsoever! Lovin' the little snubbies!

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    I have a few newer makes 640 Pro, 637, 642 and 686. The 637 and 686 both have the internal lock. I haven’t had any issues with either. i haven’t had any issues with any of them. Around town one of the j frames is my usual carry, as I don’t get too far away from home.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I, too, prefer the older Smiths, but I had a newer 686 that was really sweet. Lock/no lock doesn't really matter to me. I think most of the lock hatred is really for the person it is named after anyway.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    Modern Smith to carry, classic Smith to enjoy.

‘’Get both.”

Seriously, the newer guns are great and accurate shooters. A bit less QC left in the hands of the final consumer would be nice, but here we are.

If you’re a fan of blued guns, older is the only way to go. The newer enviro-friendly processes aren’t as pretty or as blue as the old method.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    Back in December, I purchased this used Mod. 60. I wanted a 3", adjustable sighted, stainless steel .357 Mag./.38 Spl. All of the rest of my S&W revolvers are older, pre-Hillary Hole models. This one will do until I find something I like better.
    Hillary Hole Revolver-b.jpg

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I, too, prefer the older Smiths, but I had a newer 686 that was really sweet. Lock/no lock doesn't really matter to me. I think most of the lock hatred is really for the person it is named after anyway.

The 686 is one of the models I'm interested in and it seems to be getting a lot of praise so far. I may have to take a closer look at that one.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I, like many prefer the old, but do have a few of the new. I've yet to have a problem with a newer version. Get one, you'll like it.

But I warn you. One smith leads to many.
    Do you have any experience with the 986? .38 special and .357 is quite pricey right now, but I have a decent stockpile of 9mm. I was thinking it might be the more practical choice for me at the moment.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I have a few newer makes 640 Pro, 637, 642 and 686. The 637 and 686 both have the internal lock. I haven’t had any issues with either. i haven’t had any issues with any of them. Around town one of the j frames is my usual carry, as I don’t get too far away from home.
    How do you like the 640 pro? I actually just bought my dad a 640 as a fathers day gift.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have a 29-10 with the lock. Its great. Love it. Never had a issue with the lock.
    My only issue is at my age 44 mag is getting a little much. 50 rounds and I'm done ...lol

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I like guns to much to draw lines in the sand that would prevent me from owning one.

I think the concept of a manual safety is rooted in liability protection from lawsuits, especially the safety in a revolver.

But I own two newer S&W. A lightweight snubby and a 6 inch 686 plus. Both are really run to shoot. Both are very accurate and of exceptional quality.

goob469

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    While my preferences is pre-lock SWs, if I have to be honest with myself, the new ones are quite nice....

The lock? Ehh - it is a travesty but would not stop me from buying, say, a 686SSR. The anecdotal reports of unintended locks are IMHO vastly overblown by the interweb.

Aggreged - I agree, the unintended locks are vastly overblown on the magical and mythical internet. I can't offer anything further then what has been said. New/old and/or lock/no lock, I have both. Either way, you'll be happy with a S&W.

Top Bottom