• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a few S&W wheel guns. I prefer the older Smiths, and currently that’s all I own, but there have been a few newer models that have piqued my interest. I know that the lock issue has been blown out of proportion, like so many other things today, and that the issue was mostly with the first guns introduced I just can’t get past it. If I were to carry said revolver and it only happened once it could be the difference between life and death. Plus having a hole in the side of the gun is just fugly to to me. I know they make kits to delete the lock and fill the hole but they don’t get rid of it altogether. Then if you remove the lock and ever need to use the gun in a self defense situation there might be a legal issue to deal with. IANAL If I run across a newer gun with the lock that is a good deal I might give it a whirl, but probably use it mostly on the range or for plinking. I don’t criticize anyone who wants to carry a gun with the lock, it’s just not for me.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I still want an older S&W, but I also like the look and features of a lot of the newer models. However, I HATE the idea of having an internal locking device. What are your opinions on the modern S&W revolvers? Am I just being paranoid when it comes to the lock? And what are your impressions on their build and function? I really don't know much about them and welcome any input on revolvers.
    I don't worry much the lock will keep the gun from functioning at least for a range gun. To me its just not aesthetically pleasing having a keylock "hole" so visible. I did once send back a 642 Airweight that had the lock when the auction clearly showed a non-lock model. As the 642 was a personal protection gun I figured the best way for it to never lock up was to not have a lock to begin with.

My two favorite Smith 357s are my 1990s 686-4 and 586-4. Both are pre-lock and pre MIM. For accurate shooters I could not be more satisfied. Some of the best targets I have fired were with these two handguns.

I have a 586-8 which is only a few years old. My main issue was having to adjust the sight well off center as it was shooting so far right. Never had a Smith that required more than a few clicks to center things up. Add to that I am able to shoot my older 586-4 better. Not planning on keeping this one .

Now this past January I picked up a 2005 617-5 22lr which has the lock and MIM internals and have no intentions of parting with this one! The machining , fit and finish and lock up are among the best of any Smith I have owned. Quite accurate which was very important to me.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    More than half my handguns are revolvers. The vast majority of those are S&W. I have both old and new. While I prefer they did not have the Hillery hole, I never had an issue with that feature/bug. Many of my newer revolvers are used for steel plate matches (8 shooters) and my winter pistol league. I do not see an issue in performance. Those match guns get way more use than most carry guns every get. No issues with that hole, other than appearance for me.

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    How do you like the 640 pro? I actually just bought my dad a 640 as a fathers day gift.
    The 640 pro has become my primary carry for much of the year. I liked the first one enough I bought a second one. The three dot night sights are a great addition as well as being cut for moon clips. I usually have the rounds in the cylinder in a moon clip and then a speed strip or two on me.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Lots of good responses in the thread.
    The new guns are better than the old ones. The old ones were great guns but had many problems including canted barrels that the newer one get blasted for. MIM parts are WAY better in tolerances than the forged parts guns. The old blue guns are better finished than the newer blue guns.
    IMO get one new or old and shoot it. You want one to put in the safe get a old one.
    The main thing is find one you like the looks of and get it and shoot it.
    The thing with S&W revolvers I hear all the time is the N frame or L frame doesn't fit my hand. If a S&W revolver doesn't fit your hand then it has the wrong grips on it(for you).
    The K,L,N, frame guns are mostly all the same grip size with some small differences in square butt vs round butt. Same reach to the trigger and same trigger stroke length.
    5,6,7,8,10 shots all have the same trigger stroke.
    They might feel different due barrel length and weight but the grip is what makes the gun fit you and makes it more comfortable to shoot.
    Every manufacture had bad ones get out then and now.
    As far as the lock. While I don't care for the looks of it and un needed complexity it adds but it is what it is and I can't see it when I'm shooting the gun. I do remove it in my competition guns as I modify the hammer and render it useless anyway.

I don't get the if it locks up in a self defense situation statements.
    The odds of the lock engaging is crazy high and it happening in a defense situation is even higher. You are probably a million times more likely to die in a auto accident than a defense shooting where the lock engages and yet you still drive a car. :dunno:
    :twocents:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Lots of good responses in the thread.
    The new guns are better than the old ones. The old ones were great guns but had many problems including canted barrels that the newer one get blasted for. MIM parts are WAY better in tolerances than the forged parts guns. The old blue guns are better finished than the newer blue guns.
    IMO get one new or old and shoot it. You want one to put in the safe get a old one.
    The main thing is find one you like the looks of and get it and shoot it.
    The thing with S&W revolvers I hear all the time is the N frame or L frame doesn't fit my hand. If a S&W revolver doesn't fit your hand then it has the wrong grips on it(for you).
    The K,L,N, frame guns are mostly all the same grip size with some small differences in square butt vs round butt. Same reach to the trigger and same trigger stroke length.
    5,6,7,8,10 shots all have the same trigger stroke.
    They might feel different due barrel length and weight but the grip is what makes the gun fit you and makes it more comfortable to shoot.
    Every manufacture had bad ones get out then and now.
    As far as the lock. While I don't care for the looks of it and un needed complexity it adds but it is what it is and I can't see it when I'm shooting the gun. I do remove it in my competition guns as I modify the hammer and render it useless anyway.

I don't get the if it locks up in a self defense situation statements.
    The odds of the lock engaging is crazy high and it happening in a defense situation is even higher. You are probably a million times more likely to die in a auto accident than a defense shooting where the lock engages and yet you still drive a car. :dunno:
    :twocents:

I’m not really concerned about it locking up in a self defense situation because it wouldn’t be one of the guns I’d grab in that situation to begin with. I just don’t like the idea of having a lock inside my gun. And, as others have said, it’s an eye sore.

That said, the quality of the product carries the most weight and I’m encouraged to read so many positive accounts of the new models. I have a couple other projects I need to finance first, but I see one of the new models in the near future. It seems like the 686 is a consensus favorite and it’s one I’ve looked at in the past, but are there any others in particular you’d suggest?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’m not really concerned about it locking up in a self defense situation because it wouldn’t be one of the guns I’d grab in that situation to begin with. I just don’t like the idea of having a lock inside my gun. And, as others have said, it’s an eye sore.

That said, the quality of the product carries the most weight and I’m encouraged to read so many positive accounts of the new models. I have a couple other projects I need to finance first, but I see one of the new models in the near future. It seems like the 686 is a consensus favorite and it’s one I’ve looked at in the past, but are there any others in particular you’d suggest?
    Some of my favorites are 36/60, 13/65 3”, 19/66 2.5”, 17/617, 48/648, 25-2, 25-5, 27, 610, 625 and 629. Seems like a lot but they are addictive!

Top Bottom