• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    How did I miss hearing that the current US Solicitor General is requesting to participate in the Oral Arguments?

Which strike will this be?
    Some here voted for this.

Sure hope the conservative justices have their security details well-provided-for, and that Clarence Thomas is taking his One-A-Days.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It seems like the Supreme Court Justices are afraid of offending someone or some organization as they are constantly afraid to rule that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It seems like the Supreme Court Justices are afraid of offending someone or some organization as they are constantly afraid to rule that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    John Roberts and Anthony Kennedy had an agreement not to take any more 2A cases. They felt they had settled it at McDonald, and were perfectly content to let the rest of the 2A be hashed out by the states, like Abortion. Your 2A rights would depend on where you live, and that would be that. They wanted to move on to the real business at hand, expanding the power of corporations.

Anthony Kennedy leaving was a god-send. There was a reason Democrats went after Kavanaugh so viciously. They knew that Kennedy seat was almost as useful to them as another "Democrat justice." John Roberts is now no longer in charge of deciding which 2A cases to hear (at least until Thomas dies).

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I don't quite know what to make of this. Obviously, I hope the author's (who clerked at SCOTUS) analysis is wrong. It's written with a clear anti-gun bias (revealed by the supposition that more guns on the streets is an inherently bad thing). In any case, it deserves careful reading and consideration by all of us:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Looks like they weren't going to rule on nationwide constitutional carry, which is basically what the original question was. Instead they chose to have a hearing on may issue licenses. I think that author is reading what he wants to into the analysis though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    The MSN article is very contorted by the author. NY doesn't have an 'open carry license'.
    From the article, by Aaron Tang

"The rewritten question focuses the court’s review first to the matter of concealed-carry, rather than open-carry, licenses — a sensible move because that is the type of license for which the petitioners originally applied."

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    As most here know Illinois only got CCW because of the court. It has been long enough ago I may be a little fuzzy on some details but I do remember the main points quite well. There were two petitioners one was IIRC a retired correctional officer who now retired could not carry. The other was an older lady that was an officer in her church and held a couple non-resident CCW's which were no good in Illinois, and still aren't. She was alone in the church when it was robbed and she was beaten within an inch of her life.
    Two good people unable to carry a gun for their protection as in New York. What is different is that Illinois had NO provision for anyone to carry a loaded gun in public open or concealed. There was no request for a concealed permit, just that a total ban on carrying a loaded weapon in public was unconstitutional.
    The judge in 2nd district court of appeals agreed and this forced Illinois to remedy this situation by allowing the carrying of weapons in public. There was no mention by the judge of open or concealed carry, just that the total ban was unconstitutional. Side note, the judge was actually not a pro-gun type judge.
    This put the state in the position of passing a law to allow some type of carry or having all restrictions on carry being null and void. No one knows how that would have ended up but many pro-gun groups wanted the state to do nothing and end up with possibly unrestricted carry.
    This was a big win for 2A supporters and it it went the other way at the appeals court it would have went to the USSC and should have had a very good chance of winning there. The Illinois attorney general wanted to appeal to the USSC but from what I was told by those in a position to know there was pressure from other states like NY, California and other restrictive states not to do so. The fear was even in that time 2013 it would have almost assuredly have won and affected the entire US. Jim.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The MSN article is very contorted by the author. NY doesn't have an 'open carry license'.
    From the article, by Aaron Tang

"The rewritten question focuses the court’s review first to the matter of concealed-carry, rather than open-carry, licenses — a sensible move because that is the type of license for which the petitioners originally applied."
    Not really. The court did rewrite the question to include "concealed carry".

NEW YORK STATE RIFLE, ET AL. V. CORLETT, KEITH M., ET AL.
    The petition for a writ of certiorari is granted limited to
    the following question: Whether the State's denial of
    petitioners' applications for concealed-carry licenses for
    self-defense violated the Second Amendment.
    as opposed to the original question

“Whether the Second Amendment allows the government to prohibit ordinary law-abiding citizens from carrying handguns outside the home for self-defense.”

I think the author misconstrues what the court was more narrowly defining though. It wasn't to remove open carry, but to narrow it to denying the license. Again IMO, the original question if upheld by the court would seem to make Constitutional carry the law of the land. I do not think the court will ever go there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Not really. The court did rewrite the question to include "concealed carry".

as opposed to the original question

I think the author misconstrues what the court was more narrowly defining though. It wasn't to remove open carry, but to narrow it to denying the license. Again IMO, the original question if upheld by the court would seem to make Constitutional carry the law of the land. I do not think the court will ever go there.
    I agree with your last point. I'm not confident that USSC will every directly rule in favor of constitutional carry. But my point about the author and article stands. My quote was from the article where the author stated the rewritten question focused on concealed carry and not open carry licenses. There are no open carry license in NY. The author appears to have created contention where there is none. Further, he created whole cloth the idea that NY has open carry licensing.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I agree with your last point. I'm not confident that USSC will every directly rule in favor of constitutional carry. But my point about the author and article stands. My quote was from the article where the author stated the rewritten question focused on concealed carry and not open carry licenses. There are no open carry license in NY. The author appears to have created contention where there is none. Further, he created whole cloth the idea that NY has open carry licensing.
    The author was thinking in terms of the affect of a ruling nationwide, not what is in affect in NY today. This goes far beyond NY's may issue law at this point.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

BREAKING! Did The NY Times just give up on Gun Control as we know it?!!​

One editorial writer for NYT seems to come around and this guy thinks all the other antis are with him? He needs to wake up and throttle his YT video gush-fest back a bit. It quickly got tiresome to watch.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    From the LAT article:

"In a dispute to be argued Wednesday, a newly strengthened conservative Supreme Court majority will have an opportunity to go even further in broadening the rights of gun owners."

-It isn't broadening gun rights. It's pushing back against illegitimate gun laws & restrictions.

"And in 1328, the parliament adopted the statute of Northampton which said “no man great nor small ... except the King’s servants in his presence” shall “go nor ride armed by night nor by day, in fairs, markets ... nor in no part elsewhere” or “forfeit their armour ... and their bodies to prison at the King’s pleasure.”"

-Tyranny, anyone? Eph the king. That war was fought. America won. Suck it England.

"Not all the history in this case is of medieval vintage. A brief filed by retired Judge J. Michael Luttig and several top Washington lawyers urged the court to focus on the Jan. 6 insurrection by supporters of President Trump, and to imagine thousands of armed protesters descending on the Capitol."

-If only that had happened... I know, next we can make up laws about other **** that didn't happen!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Just a few gems I plucked from the comment section of the LAT article. Enjoy!

-A shotgun for home protection and a single acton bolt rifle for hunting is all one needs. Anything beyond that should not be allowed. Men walking around in public armed look ridiculous. If you are that much of a ‘fraidy cat, lock yourself in a closet and stay there. There is no need for anyone to walk around armed but to illustrate one’s cowardice.

-Actually, being able to vote out a tyrannical government made the 2nd amendment completely moot and it should be repealed immediately. Our government currently has a standing army that would decimate any armed militia or an armed individual. So, there's no reason to be armed to overthrow our government (the original idea for the 2nd amendment). our armed forces have tanks and ships and planes and nuclear bombs. No armed citizen or militia is going to win any type of war. Besides, all American citizens have something a billion times more powerful than any gun or nuclear weapon to fix our government. It's called a vote. With a vote, you and your fellow citizens can simply replace any government you don't like and replace it with one you do like. Every 4 years or so. So, once again, repeal the 2nd amendment as it is completely useless in today's society.

-"Well regulated militia" refers to slave patrols.
    The 2nd Amendment is about protecting slavery, not freedom.

Top Bottom