• Would you try to save this guy?

• Total voters

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Im pretty sure I would try and avoid getting shot. If he tried to draw on me I would return the favor because I would already plan on him trying this before I made my approach. in this case if the cop was just beating a friend or family member of mine for no reason then I would view him as a deadly threat and hande him appropriately. my above response where I mentioned handcuffing him was me being merciful IF possibly and safe, because of his status. Any other person would just get shot if they were doing what he did.

cops CAN be legally shot people. you dont have to get the **** kicked out of you and risk dying if you aren't in the wrong. A cop who breaks the law ceases to be a cop at that point in y opinion and can be handled like any other criminal..
    um........ok bro

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Issue is with keeping quiet (let's abandon the vid for a sec and go into the "cop was crazed" mode) is that we see from this video and recently in IMPD history of what "excessive" force can gain for the officer: Some admin leave, officer released of charges and is out on the street again. Now, I am not slamming the IMPD on this, but it's VERY similar to the image being painted with this video. Hoping for justice in a situation where the incident is justiceless only allows the real guilty party to dance free and plot further atrocity.

I am not making judgement on any party until more information is released, specifically the 5 minutes BEFORE this Boorish Beatdown occurred. What events transpired before then. The video seems to omit that. Whose side of the story are we missing?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I can't believe 5 people have answered "Yes, I would draw down on that scumbag".

So your friend gets a good beat down, you draw on the officer and fail to realize officer backup has arrived behind you. Guess it looks like you'll be taking a few rounds to the back.

Or backup arrives, they order you to drop the weapon and you instinctively turn towards the officer commanding you, he then shoots you for pointing a firearm at him.

Assuming that was a police officer and not a security guard (without a firearm). Even if this guy (police/security/whatever), the most I would do (also assuming this was family/friend getting the beat down) would be to verbally request him to stop physically harming my friend and then to immediately dial 911.

If this is a police officer in the video, it would be best to just keep your mouth shut. Unless you want a beat down too.

Remember where your at, the internet. What some say they would do on the net and what they really would do in real life can be two very different things.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    What country was that footage shot in? China? Russia?

police_brutality.jpg

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    after reviewing the video again, i have come to the conclusion that he is a security gaurd for the station (that does not mean un gunned) the reason i say that is...

when he leads the man away, he walks totally away. if he was an officer and his cruiser was parked in that direction, it would not get video. either makeing him a dirtier cop or there was no cruiser b/c he was a guard.

if hes a security guard, that means what ever caused this video is limited to the gas station IMO making the beating even less justified. not that i thought it was before.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    after reviewing the video again, i have come to the conclusion that he is a security gaurd for the station (that does not mean un gunned) the reason i say that is...

when he leads the man away, he walks totally away. if he was an officer and his cruiser was parked in that direction, it would not get video. either makeing him a dirtier cop or there was no cruiser b/c he was a guard.

if hes a security guard, that means what ever caused this video is limited to the gas station IMO making the beating even less justified. not that i thought it was before.

The news story I saw said there was a police substation there.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I dont care what happened before the video started rolling, because its of no consequence. heres why ...

if the guy had just shot the cops partner ...... cop walks up to the car and gets the guy out. guy is on the ground, staying on the ground, and cop starts beating him. LEGALLY, is the cops actions of the beating justified because of the previous crime? NO, not legally. maybe the judge would give the cop a emotional freebee pass, but the law wouldnt.

so I stick to what I said before.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    After looking at this, I'm with the others in thinking this guy may have been a security guard. If that is the case and he was beating down their buddy....he should have had his butt handed to him. It certainly appeared that he kicked the guy while he was down. That's way out of bounds for someone who's not actively resisting. As for drawing on the person...not sure I'd go that far. That escalates things to a whole new level. Do remember, tho you can use deadly force to resist unlawful arrest, but you best be danged sure you're on the right side of the issue. No matter what, you're going to be in for a wild ride.

Your Right of Defense Against Unlawful Arrest

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sure, you have the right to resist unlawful arrest, but if the officer believes the arrest to be lawful, he will be held blameless for shooting you 19 times. He would be prosecuted only if your heirs could prove he knew the arrest was unlawful.
    Likely, all he would have to say is, "Sarge said it was OK."
    Sarge could then say, "He misunderstood me," and everyone's covered.

Best just do everything you can to avoid officers like the plague. If they don't notice you, they won't hassle/ beat/shoot you.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Sure, you have the right to resist unlawful arrest, but if the officer believes the arrest to be lawful, he will be held blameless for shooting you 19 times. He would be prosecuted only if your heirs could prove he knew the arrest was unlawful.
    Likely, all he would have to say is, "Sarge said it was OK."
    Sarge could then say, "He misunderstood me," and everyone's covered.

Best just do everything you can to avoid officers like the plague. If they don't notice you, they won't hassle/ beat/shoot you.

your assuming I wouldnt have already shot him 3 times. ;)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This video is crazy. No matter what that kid said, it wasn't justified to beat him senseless with a baton and then make him suck down some pepper spray. A non-cop would never get away with a crazy assault like that over any exchange of words. Seriously, unbelievable. America is a scary place these days. :n00b:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    OK. Took a few minutes to find it, but this happened in St. Louis. The cop's currently on paid desk leave while it's investigated. He was doing security in a substation there. Even tho the guy was drunk there was no call for him to go all Rambo on him, (although, he was reasonably justified in removing him from the drivers seat, since he was drunk and probably impaired). Should have just handed him over to his friends and put him in the back seat or called a cab. The beating was the wrong road to travel in this case.

Video shows beating by St. Louis police officer

Also looks like this officer has a history of using violence.

Update: Got to the end of the article and it did mention that even though more cops showed up there was no report on the matter. Interesting.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    and some of you still think there will be cops that will stand up for you when "they" come rounding you up for political re-education camps.

HAHAHAHAHA, they'll beat you and then drag you there.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    If it was a friend of mine I would run around the car and the officer screaming and waving my arms frantically to draw the officer/security guards attention away from beating my friend. If he decided to give chase I would just keep running in circles until his powdered-sugar-coated heart gave out and he **** himself in the parking lot.

if he didn't chase me every time I ran around him I would stop behind him and tickle him (he looks like he could use a good tickle) this would without a doubt render his beating less severe. I would keep tickling him until he pissed himself and could no longer beat anyone because of that uncomfortable wet/cold feeling would be too much for him.

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    So who here can tell me exactly what occurred when he was on the ground. I watched the video and I mostly saw the dash of the car that it was being filmed from. Since I have no way of knowing for sure what occurred, anything else I could say would be complete speculation, just like every one else in this thread.

Top Bottom