• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    Need to swap out my current for something a little more PC friendly. Was thinking maybe a Henry lever action. First thought was .22 WMR, 2nd thought was why not full bore .44 magnum. I'm retired and once a month we stay somewhere in indiana ( if I have my way I'll never leave the state again). Any thoughts?

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    My first thought is, if you're worried about political correctness in your truck gun, you're doing it wrong.
    As much as I love my Henry's, I don't think they would be that easy to wield.
    I still have my EDC, just don't like being to far away from a long gun. And the less I have to debate with some blue pill cop if I get pulled over the better I'll like it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Need to swap out my current for something a little more PC friendly. Was thinking maybe a Henry lever action. First thought was .22 WMR, 2nd thought was why not full bore .44 magnum. I'm retired and once a month we stay somewhere in indiana ( if I have my way I'll never leave the state again). Any thoughts?
    Not sure I would use a full-sized lever-action rifle for a 'trunk' gun...
    I'd probably lean more towards a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in either 9mm or .40 S&W (depending on the sidearm caliber you carry?)
    Stashes in a sling-pack, takes Glock magazines...the guys I know who have them love them!!!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not sure I would use a full-sized lever-action rifle for a 'trunk' gun...
    I'd probably lean more towards a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 in either 9mm or .40 S&W (depending on the sidearm caliber you carry?)
    Stashes in a sling-pack, takes Glock magazines...the guys I know who have them love them!!!
    And given how easily it conceals in a small bag, you can slip it into a hotel room with you and not have to leave it in the trunk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why would you carry a pistol caliber long gun when you have a pistol caliber pistol on your hip?

If I'm bringing a rifle, I'll want a rifle caliber. I'd pick something in 5.56 or 308.

If you don't want an AR style semi auto, maybe get creative on the design? Maybe a short scout style bolt action with irons or a small RDS? Standard magazine fed would be a real plus.

Maybe I'm just biased being a bolt gun guy? Levers are cool, but a bolt gun does the work. They are light short and can rival the speed of a levergun vs a semi-auto.

:twocents:

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Why would you carry a pistol caliber long gun when you have a pistol caliber pistol on your hip?

If I'm bringing a rifle, I'll want a rifle caliber. I'd pick something in 5.56 or 308.

If you don't want an AR style semi auto, maybe get creative on the design? Maybe a short scout style bolt action with irons or a small RDS? Standard magazine fed would be a real plus.

Maybe I'm just biased being a bolt gun guy? Levers are cool, but a bolt gun does the work. They are light short and can rival the speed of a levergun vs a semi-auto.

:twocents:

Mini-14 in wood. Done.

But personally I don't give two shits what someone thinks of what I own. If you're that easily swayed by popular opinion why even have a gun to start with? Don't ya know they're all bad?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Do it. Better to have one with you. Love for the Lever gun.

Truck gun AK. Home defense gun AK. Part time deer gun AK. Only time I use 5.56 is with the MAG or with others who do not AK. So far many MAG members have acquired AK's also. But I am off subject

I do not feel at all undergunned with my Marlin 44 mag but it is a shorty 16 inch against the AK or AR.
    my ideas do not come from a LEO background or military background but from my Hoosier roots and I have always carried a level action since a kid. I ahoot them much better than I see the others shoot PCR AR's or 9mm carbines. Standing kneeling anything but prone they work as well in prone well others are better.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Good value 16in, or pinned and welded, AR15 with a basic red dot. Non NFA.

Relatively low loss value if seized, and highly effective.

Two mags in case one goes down. In a nondescript bag that hides it's profile.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    What do you plan to do with your trunk gun? A cheap Mossberg 88 would be a great shotty. Get a Ruger or SW 5.56 AR. Not as cheap but cheap. Both offer options depending on what your needs are.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    And more suggestions on mounting long arm for in trunk?
    Check these out. I have one for my F-250, I had mounted a 25-06 bolt action for Coyotes in it while I was in remote Idaho. Could mount it under a desk with little effort.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Get one of the old Ruger .44 carbine "Deerstalker" autos.

Get a hard laminate stock made for it, and maybe glue in a steel recoil plate. Add (via T-nut) an MDT Tactical Pic rail/QD Sling plate up front.

Drop a Holosun HS507 sight on top. Stick chosen forward light underneath. Sling it.

Load up.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    No offense intended to the OP, but I have zero cares what anybody thinks of my self-defense plans. Anybody that thinks I'm not PC can sit on a tack.
    That being said, if you don't want a scary AR I guess a Ruger PCC isn't a bad choice. Ugly as sin. Can still take extended mags (unless you are concerned about those being not PC). Can still put a bunch of lead downrange in a hurry if you need it.
    Or you can take Ol Demented Joe's advice - get a shotgun. Prob go with semi - auto with an extended mag tube.

Top Bottom