• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Hello everyone, my birthday is coming up on the 30th, and I've been thinking of taking the plunge into reloading my own cartridges. I'll be reloading for government and commander sized 1911's in .45acp, planning on reloading cast lead or plated bullets. Ive read the ABC's of reloading a couple times, and have done a lot of reading on the internet. I was wondering if you might give me your opinions on my list of things necessary to start working up a load, primarily, is this everything I need to start loading safely?
    1.Lee 4-hole turrent press kit
    2.Auto disk powder measure riser
    3.Lee safety prime large and small
    4.Lee carbide 4 die set
    5.Frankford arsenal digital calipers
    6.Auto disk powder measure update kit
    7.New brass
    8. .452 lead or .451 copper plated bullets
    9.Large pistol primers
    10.Powder, Unique/Bullseye
    11.Ammo box

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    My opinion is to stay away from the Frankford Arsenal digital calipers and go with a dial set. I'm sure if you spend the money on good digital calipers it will be worth it, but my Frankford Arsenal's would not give me a consecutive reading and jumped from 1.095" to 1.431". No in-between. I finally spent the money on a $100 set of dial calipers and have been extremely happy. It's definitely money well spent.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    My opinion is to stay away from the Frankford Arsenal digital calipers and go with a dial set. I'm sure if you spend the money on good digital calipers it will be worth it, but my Frankford Arsenal's would not give me a consecutive reading and jumped from 1.095" to 1.431". No in-between. I finally spent the money on a $100 set of dial calipers and have been extremely happy. It's definitely money well spent.

Thanks for the info, i will definitely look into getting a dial set instead, was wondering how well the electronic ones would work.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    I'll let the more seasoned guys give thier two cents on equipment - looks like a pretty complete list to me. Just wanted to say congrats on taking the plunge. Looks like you have done your homework on the front end, which is awesome.

Just make sure you are using a hard enough cast lead - Brinell 18 or above. In my experience they shoot well without leading up your bore. I'm sure there are a couple of brands that would be highly recommended here. Among them are Darda's and BK Cast.

Start off slow and double check everything. Not much difference between a hot load and a pipe bomb in your 1911. If I can do it, anyone can!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Great choice going with the Turret. Are you getting the Classic ? It is much heavier made than the original...

Your list looks good... Only thing I would reconsider is NEW brass... Even if you go with Starline ( great brass at reasonable price), you're still looking at probably around $150.00/1000. Rather than buying new, I'd search around for once fired, especially in .45 ACP.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Great choice going with the Turret. Are you getting the Classic ? It is much heavier made than the original...

Your list looks good... Only thing I would reconsider is NEW brass... Even if you go with Starline ( great brass at reasonable price), you're still looking at probably around $150.00/1000. Rather than buying new, I'd search around for once fired, especially in .45 ACP.

I was planning on going with the regular turrent, and upgrading later as my budget allows. Ill source out some once fired brass, sounds like a good idea instead and from what i read it should be just as good as new.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Also I have another question for you all, does ProFire have everything on my list? Id much prefer to give my business to someone local.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was planning on going with the regular turrent, and upgrading later as my budget allows. Ill source out some once fired brass, sounds like a good idea instead and from what i read it should be just as good as new.

Yea, you can get many, many loadings out of .45 brass... It's a caliber I can't justify paying at least double basically to get one additional loading out of...

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Funny, I just ordered my set of gear a couple hours ago. From all my research, if you are going for a turret, definitely get the Classic. I was planning on getting the kit from Kempfs, but found it was going to cost me more with tax that just piecing together at Midway. They have a few discount codes until the end of June.

You'd need:
    Classic press
    Pro auto disc measure
    Powder riser
    Safety prime set
    Die set

These are basically what you'll need besides caliper, scales and components. I also added a decapping die for depriming uncleaned brass before tumbling.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    You need a good scale. Don't scrimp here. I suggest a good quality balance scale like the RCBS 502 or 505. Cheap digital scales look inviting but several have had problems with them as they tend to be temperature sensitive among other problems. My other suggestion is a good light source. I use a small clamp on LCD light that shines directly onto the press and into the cartridges so I can assure myself that they are charged properly.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    You need a good scale. Don't scrimp here. I suggest a good quality balance scale like the RCBS 502 or 505.

Amen. Those of us that reload and read these boards tend to shy away from LEE scales. I've got an RCBS beam scale and a Hornady digital. Very happy with both.

My one experience with a cheapie scale was with one of those MTM digital ones. That thing was a POS.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Thanks for all the replies, do you think i might be better off buying all the equipment separately than buying the kit? My budget is right around 300, and I would like to be able to load up a hundred rounds for testing as well as get all the equipment i need to start. If this isnt possible, I may just buy a press and get everything else when my budget allows.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    There are two minor pieces of equipment that I would add to your list. The first is a powder funnel. You're going to need an easy way to get the powder from your scale pan back into the cases after you have weighed it. The other thing I would mention is some sort of labels so you can label your ammo boxes. At least that's what I like to do. That way if there's a problem, I can isolate the trouble rounds, or if I hit a really great batch, I can duplicate it in the future. Good luck!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

That is a false economy...the difference in price is not excessive, but the strength and durability of the Classic (cast) is well worth the price.

Do not go into an enterprise like reloading as "cheap" as you can or you'll run into frustrations that might sour you on the whole process. Spend a few extra bucks on quality equipment and components...you'll really be glad ya did. :)

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    I did a little more thinking, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just buy the Lee Classic press for now, then aquire the rest of the equipment as I go along. Anyone know of a place near my location that sells this press?

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Amen. Those of us that reload and read these boards tend to shy away from LEE scales. I've got an RCBS beam scale and a Hornady digital. Very happy with both.

My one experience with a cheapie scale was with one of those MTM digital ones. That thing was a POS.
    Agreed, 100%. I picked up a RCBS 505 beam scale off eBay for about $45 shipped, which is about half new cost.
    There are two minor pieces of equipment that I would add to your list. The first is a powder funnel. You're going to need an easy way to get the powder from your scale pan back into the cases after you have weighed it. The other thing I would mention is some sort of labels so you can label your ammo boxes. At least that's what I like to do. That way if there's a problem, I can isolate the trouble rounds, or if I hit a really great batch, I can duplicate it in the future. Good luck!
    I'm sure a funnel doesn't cost much but most likely unnecessary as you can just dump your powder checks right back in the measure until you get it hitting just right.
    That is a false economy...the difference in price is not excessive, but the strength and durability of the Classic (cast) is well worth the price.

Do not go into an enterprise like reloading as "cheap" as you can or you'll run into frustrations that might sour you on the whole process. Spend a few extra bucks on quality equipment and components...you'll really be glad ya did. :)
    +1 again. Better to spend the few extra bucks on the nicer press vs. going cheap, unless you're talking the price difference between say the turret and a Hornady LnL AP. :D

You should be able to get just about everything for under $300 if you add in a brass tumbler, depending on brand/type. You might be pushing it by adding in bullets, powder & primers though...

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Here is where I buy all of my Lee equipment. Best prices I have found, shipping is quick, and great customer service.
    +1 for the Classic Cast, you will not be disappointed if you go with it.
    I recomend getting the adjustable charge bar. The auto disc's are great, but sometimes the holes don't hold exactally what you want. I have several so I can set them for charge weights I use often, and then only have to do a couple of check weights to get started on a reloading run.

https://fsreloading.com/

Top Bottom