• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I'm going to be buying a new HD shotgun in the very near future and would like some suggestions. Right now I'm almost set on a Rem 11-87 18" until today when I ran across an 1100 tactical. How much difference is there between these two, I've only done limited research on the 1100 at this point. Though I do really like the idea of a semi-auto, I've also considered saving the extra $$ and just getting an 870 instead. Also, from some quick reading on a few other forums, people have suggested to just buy a Benelli if you're gonna spend the cash for a the 1100/11-87. I do want something with the extended capacity tube but many of the other options are negotiable (ie. pistol grip, sight type). I won't be mounting anything to this with the expection of a light, but I doubt even that. What say you INGO? Currently the only shotgun I've got is a Mossy 500 in 20ga with both barrels (which I took a dear with back when I was 12yrs old).

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I believe the 1100 does not accept 3" shells, and the 11-87 is a bit lighter. If I remember correctly there are a few differences - like the material the magazine tube is made from, but you may have to google a bit to find out all the specific differences.

Benelli makes a real fine shotgun - however they are pricey. If you decide to spend that much, you cannot go wrong with an M2 or M4 - but you could get a well made reliable shotgun for a much less.

You may also check out the Mossberg 930 SPX. I do not own one, but after firing them at the range a few times I am impressed - especially when I look at the price tag.

If you decide to go the cheap route and save your money, you may even look at the Maverick 88 line. They are an economy line made by Mossberg, and they are far from the "best" shotguns - but they are no-nonsense pumps that I have seen for less than $200 new. As you likely know, if you buy a Mossberg pump - buy one with the magazine tube length you want, because unlike a Remington you cannot add a magazine tube extension.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Funny, I'm looking for a shotgun also, but for multi-gun. I grew up on autos, so I am wondering if I could teach myself to do something after I pull the trigger other than pull the trigger again.:D

I like the Mossberg JM, but I think I might have to shorten the stock. It just doesn't pull into my shoulder as well as I would like it to. Do you know if you can do that?

I did like the feel of the 1100 tactical, but I need to check that out again. I can't remember why I wasn't crazy about it. Maybe the price?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Funny, I'm looking for a shotgun also, but for multi-gun. I grew up on autos, so I am wondering if I could teach myself to do something after I pull the trigger other than pull the trigger again.:D

I like the Mossberg JM, but I think I might have to shorten the stock. It just doesn't pull into my shoulder as well as I would like it to. Do you know if you can do that?

I did like the feel of the 1100 tactical, but I need to check that out again. I can't remember why I wasn't crazy about it. Maybe the price?

I have heard of people shortening the stocks on the 930 series a little - but since the buffer tube extends quite a ways through the stock, it cannot be shortened very much.

We are talking like maybe an inch or so if you find a smaller nut...

A gunsmith may be able to shorten it more if they modify the tube, but this is not something I would do without intimate knowledge of how this specific firearm functions.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have heard of people shortening the stocks on the 930 series a little - but since the buffer tube extends quite a ways through the stock, it cannot be shortened very much.

We are talking like maybe an inch or so if you find a smaller nut...

A gunsmith may be able to shorten it more if they modify the tube, but this is not something I would do without intimate knowledge of how this specific firearm functions.

Thanks. An inch or so would probably do it. I was even thinking just removing the recoil pad would do it, but I kinda want that!:D

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I went through the same process a while back and was conviced that the versa was the way to go until I picked one up. Didn't like the feel,
    I have an 870 turkey gun which makes a fine HD but I too wanted a semi auto well after I got to handle the 1100 tac 2 it was a done deal,
    I've got a lot of history with the 1100 product, I'm a remington fan, there are plenty of detractors of the 1100 and if you keep a $5 oring you can run a long time. I have confidence in the gun and trust in the reliability of the product.

I'm very happy with mine

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    well after I got to handle the 1100 tac 2 it was a done deal,
    I've got a lot of history with the 1100 product, I'm a remington fan, there are plenty of detractors of the 1100 and if you keep a $5 oring you can run a long time. I have confidence in the gun and trust in the reliability of the product.

Grew up with 1100's. We never had any problems when hunting with them. My brother still has my Dad's and it must be well over 45 years old and still runs fine.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I think that the mossberg 500 is a fairly decent home defense shot gun. Numerous aftermarket accessories.

500 would be my recommendation for a pump as well. As for an auto the only one I have experience with is the Savage Auto 5 clone. Retro tactical awesomeness right there, but having to hold a button while loading makes it much slower to reload for me than the 500.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Mossy 590A1 is next to my bed because its fast and simple but its HD only.

I have an FN SLP MK1 that is my do it all shotgun. It can go from hunting mode to HD mode in about 3 mins just by swapping gas pistons and chokes.

The FN SLP I feel is a very under rated auto shotgun. Id put it right up there with a Benelli anyday.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have a 1187 and I love it. It kicks a little less than the 870 witch I have two. One for H.D. and one with a rifled barrel for deer.

Now I only use the 1187. I have three barrels for it. One for birds, one rifled for deer and an 18.5" police barrel for H.D.

It is my understanding that they make an 1100 and an 1187 Police. I have seen used 1187 Police on gun broker for $450. Last year or may be it was two years ago they had 1100 Police for sale new on the Remington site.

If it was me I would get the 1187. Good luck with your choice.

Top Bottom