• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea there are tons of shotguns on the market besides just the Mossy's & Remmy's, along with tons of other action types besides pump action.

But there is really no need to try to aquire the fastest shooting semi-auto shotgun in the world for home defense simply because with a shotgun firing a single 12GA 3" magnum 00 15 pellet shell equals the same amount of projectiles on target as firing five X three round bursts from an HK5.

Hubba hubba watch out for bubba!

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not a big shotgunner, but the last time I was over at Ron's (TacticalShotgunner.com) place I asked him the same "Remy870 vs. Mossy 500" question.

In regards to the safety location issue, Richard is correct, assuming a traditional stock. If you will be using the more "tacticool" pistol grip with adjustable stock, then the 870 location is ideal, as it can be deactivated with the trigger finger while in register (his also had the oversized button IIRC). Manipulating the safety in this configuration on a Mossy causes one to break their grip.

Ron can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Esrice,

Nope your correct, with a "tacticool" pistol grip stock it is reversed, ie: having to break your grip with the Mossberg but not the Remington to actuate the different safety positions.

But all of my shotguns are traditional stocked versions, even my "militarized" Mossy is straight stocked.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I have a Mossy 500 that is my trap gun, turkey gun, deer gun, and home defense gun. It has been to hell and back with me and I love it. I would say a Mossberg and a few choke tubes and youre set.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    For a pump shotgun, IMHO it doesn't get any better than an 870.
    For an auto, I really like my Saiga12.

(Note: I am a Mossberg hater, as I had one mdl 500 spill its guts during an informal shooting session many moons ago. Gun was sent back to Mossberg for repair and returned as a single shot as the action wouldn't move after a round was fired. I had enough and sold it as a parts gun to a friend.)

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bigcraig,

Dang I'd probably be leary after something like that myself, but hey what exactly does "spilled its guts" actually mean? I am assuming there was some sort of mechanical failure but I can't figure out what sort you were refering too, unless maybe it involved the shell stop & or shell interupter assembly and all of the shells came shooting out of the magazine tube thus "spilling its guts".

Is that close?

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    HD Shotgun

I own and use Remingtons 870
    that is what You will see the majority of LE Use / Carry in there patrol cars
    Remintons have more acc available also
    and it is the best selling shotgun in the world more of the 870 built than any other shotgun
    Good luck in whichever You choose

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Bigcraig,

Dang I'd probably be leary after something like that myself, but hey what exactly does "spilled its guts" actually mean? I am assuming there was some sort of mechanical failure but I can't figure out what sort you were refering too, unless maybe it involved the shell stop & or shell interupter assembly and all of the shells came shooting out of the magazine tube thus "spilling its guts".

Is that close?

I can't recall exactly what the failure was, this happened around 92'-93', but I do remember firing a round, pulling the forearm back to load another round but the action would only move about half way. It took some effort to get the gun cleared. (Spilling its guts was a poor term used on my part.)

What angered me the most is how Mossy handled the problem.

sam2007

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    HD shotgun

I own a couple of plain Jane Mossberg 500s and have had 0 problems with either. On a related note I recently ran a few dozen rounds of the reduced recoil 12 gauge buck through my shotguns. I was very happy with the recoil (as was my petite wife) and with patterns generated. I'll gladly trade the slightly reduced fps for the wear and tear on the shooter.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    My first shotgun was an 870. Great gun that I will always keep. Never had the first problem with it.

You want retro tacticool, try to find one of those old model 97 Winchester riot guns :-)

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the input guys. Really good info for me to consider. One more question. Is there anywhere in the central indy area to practice with a shotgun? I'd like to get 100% comfortable with whatever i choose if I'm going to trust my life with it.

truss1010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Both are good choices, I would check out both and see which has the best ergonomics for you. You may also want to consider a Winchester 1300 Defender.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If you're going to the Indy 1500, go to the Tactical Shotgunner table and talk to Zoub. He's a shotgunnin fool!

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first home defense shotgun at the indy 1500 this weekend. This will be my first firearm (although I have been shooting with my Grandfather since I was a kid, and have a healthy respect for, and am fairly comfortable with, guns). I believe I have narrowed it down to either a mossburg 500 or Remington 870, and would like to know peoples opinions on either one (or others if they have suggestions).

Also, if there are any vendors that will be at the show, let me know and I will vist your booth first.

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Bob

Top Bottom