• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    i don't recall hearing about anyone specifically prosecuted for a bumpstock, non registered sbr, or any of the other assinine rules the atf have issued.

hell...they don't even go after 4473 violators
    Does the name Randy Weaver, 1992 ring any bells? An ATF agent says 'please, please,Please cut the barrel on my shotgun for me! I don't have the tools, but I did make a mark right where I want you to cut it.'

They don't go after 4473 violators because they don't have anything the Gov't wants, and there's a cost to pursue it. As I understand it, they wanted Weaver to become their informant on others, so they got him to commit a NFA felony to apply pressure. It's never about the bump stock or the brace, it's about whether you've got something they want or not.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    That reminds me... The ATF seems to be the catylist for getting the FBI involved, and things going horribly wrong. I don't want to connect too many dots in one place, then hear my doorbell ring 10 minutes later, but................

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A Form 1'd Title II SBR can be converted back to a Title I non-SBR by sending a letter to the ATF.

Title II NFA items can be transferred to an heir tax-free.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    One angle I see is that they KNOW this will happen. Just another implementation of Cloward-Piven. Find something you hate and overwhelm the system to destroy it or affect a change you want. They WANT the NFA system to grind to a halt. This intentional.
    Interesting thought. Hard to obtain a suppressor if the system is backlogged for years.

It's a gamble though. If it backfires, opponents can argue that the ATF is incapable, inefficient, AND is unreasonably depriving the people of their rights and property. This type of argument could be used to increase oversight and radically reform the agency. All that's required are people on the other side willing to fight the same way the agency does.

Or, maybe a class action lawsuit targeting the practices of the agency.

Lawyer: "My clients lawfully purchased suppressors, complied with all the filling requirements, and paid the tax. For over two years, my clients have been deprived of their lawful property because the ATF claims that it can not perform its responsibilities in a timely, reasonable manor. Given modern technology systems and the resources available to the ATF, these applications can be processed in less than one week, if the ATF wanted to do so. We ask the court to order the ATF to immediately process these applications, and to process all future applications in less than thirty days."

Obviously I don't know how this works, what the actual legal argument would look like, or if there are already directly related precidents involved. However, I'm positive that the big brains at some of the pro-2A think tanks could figure this out. The more unreasonable the ATF process gets, the easier it is to get intervention... if anyone cares to do so.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Interesting thought. Hard to obtain a suppressor if the system is backlogged for years.

It's a gamble though. If it backfires, opponents can argue that the ATF is incapable, inefficient, AND is unreasonably depriving the people of their rights and property. This type of argument could be used to increase oversight and radically reform the agency. All that's required are people on the other side willing to fight the same way the agency does.

Or, maybe a class action lawsuit targeting the practices of the agency.

Lawyer: "My clients lawfully purchased suppressors, complied with all the filling requirements, and paid the tax. For over two years, my clients have been deprived of their lawful property because the ATF claims that it can not perform its responsibilities in a timely, reasonable manor. Given modern technology systems and the resources available to the ATF, these applications can be processed in less than one week, if the ATF wanted to do so. We ask the court to order the ATF to immediately process these applications, and to process all future applications in less than thirty days."

Obviously I don't know how this works, what the actual legal argument would look like, or if there are already directly related precidents involved. However, I'm positive that the big brains at some of the pro-2A think tanks could figure this out. The more unreasonable the ATF process gets, the easier it is to get intervention... if anyone cares to do so.

And if there is now a rule (even if just for the *amnesty*) that you can maintain possession while the paperwork is processed, why don't they need to extend that to suppressors... to machine guns? So ****ing inconsistent.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If I can apply for form 1 - keep and use my renamed SBR / formerly pistol, and use simple proof of application as justification, then this isn’t a public safety issue.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A Form 1'd Title II SBR can be converted back to a Title I non-SBR by sending a letter to the ATF.

Title II NFA items can be transferred to an heire tax-free.
    Its interesting reading what some post here, that most likely have never filled out paperwork and paid for a stamp.

Its an Amnesty, just like 1968.

The FEDS arn't coming for your guns.

trader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2023
    indiana
    I would strongly wager that this rule will be put on hold by court action. While we know this rule isn't legal, that's still upto a judge to say "illegal".

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Well, I went ahead and filed a form 1 yesterday. Not the tax exempt one that we're all discussing, but the $200 one. I had been planning to for quite awhile and already had the prints and everything. I decided that it was worth $200 to not be a part of the shenanigans and litigation that will likely come. It may have been a waste of money, but I have the feeling there is more to this than just a free stamp. And I have seen how "free" things from the .gov work out.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I gathered from one of the questions and subsequent responses that if you have filed before the end of the 120 days and have the submitted application to prove it, you're fine to have it in sbr configuration.

Top Bottom