• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    In the past year, I've helped two (2) older friends, one a retired pastor friend of mine, switch away from .38 Special revolvers and .40 S&W pistols to .22lr for EDC and personal defense...their arthritis issues prevented them from even practicing with a heavier caliber (recoil) and the .22lr was the only caliber that allowed adequate practice with no negative or residual effects.
    They both chose to carry the Ruger SR-22, based mainly on hand-size and grip comfort, but both have become quite proficient in the use of the little .22lr caliber and pistols, with repetitive practice. Their accuracy has greatly improved (over their previous carry calibers, due mainly to a lack of practice because of the arthritis issues) and their handling of the pistol itself (pistol function, reloading drills, tap-rack-n-roll, etc.) has also greatly improved.
    Both also use CCI ammo over even the Federal 'Punch' as they feel it functions better in their pistols.
    That CCI Hyper-Velocity, 31 grain x 1550 fps...might be some smokin' hot stuff!

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Interesting. Old school thinking was always go with round nose .22 if you were using it for SD for more penetration. The hollow point stuff was said to be more for varmints.

Makes me wonder if this is just a marketing gimmick because people think a SD round should have expansion, or whether this actually does perform better in SD.

Who knows. :shrugs:

MrGiggles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    Carmel
    I don't really know what I'm talking about in general, but would you be worried overpenetration with that 1550 fps ammo? The 950 fps jhp seems like it would fill a niche, but the hyper velocity stuff seems like it's asking for trouble. Any truth to that, or am I talking out my ass?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Interesting. While I personally, would like a more "robust" round for personal protection...if you had to use a 22...this sounds like a valid option
    Check out the 22lr Punch round. I was surprised at the penetration it has from a short barrel 22lr pistol. I think it was kind of marketed as SD 22lr ammo.
    Like it or not many people depend on 22lr for self defense. I know of two women who both opted for the Ruger LCP 2 22lr.
    If I was to suggest a 22lr pistol for someone fir self defense I think I'd tell them to get the Taurus TX22 or the compact TX22.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I don't really know what I'm talking about in general, but would you be worried overpenetration with that 1550 fps ammo? The 950 fps jhp seems like it would fill a niche, but the hyper velocity stuff seems like it's asking for trouble. Any truth to that, or am I talking out my ass?
    31 grains is going to shed that energy very fast, especially if it hits any bone. Over penetration will not be a concern.
    That 1550 fps is probably achieved in a rifle barrel also.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    .22 lr has a tendency to lose velocity fairly quickly, especially if it strikes a hard object such as a bone. Any ammo can 'over-penetrate' if it strikes a thinner part of the body, such as an arm, etc., but, if you're passing through multiple layers of clothing (obstructions) and into center-mass, over-penetration is not something I would be overly concerned about.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    It says the "Uppercut's jacketed hollow point bullet features nose skiving that initiates full and reliable expansion through 2.5- to 4-inch handgun barrels, while retaining the weight needed to hit critical penetration depths."

But the Clean-22 probably must be rated at 1550 out of a longer barrel, like Jaybird1980 said.
    Surely IF CCi were getting those kinds of velocity out of a shorter barrel, they'd be bragging about it.
    It's going to be interesting to see barrel length tests in the upcoming months, to see where the tipping point is for these rounds.

Top Bottom