Never been-can you do face to face sales?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I will not provide an LTCH for a firearm purchase, even though I have one.
    Especially for long gun purchases.

OP, you might as well buy an account on a background check website, and run each buyers name to see if they have a record.

Do you refuse to show your LTCH for a handgun P2P transaction?

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    I am in the market for my first handgun and was thinking of going to the 1500. I have applied for my ltch but it is still being processed. I also don't plan on carrying until I am completely comfortable with the gun I purchase so this purchase will mostly be for home defense. Kinda sucks that I could miss out on a deal or a gun that is on my list just because the state is slow at processing my paperwork.

gunfan72

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I am in the market for my first handgun and was thinking of going to the 1500. I have applied for my ltch but it is still being processed. I also don't plan on carrying until I am completely comfortable with the gun I purchase so this purchase will mostly be for home defense. Kinda sucks that I could miss out on a deal or a gun that is on my list just because the state is slow at processing my paperwork.

I'm no expert but even though you haven't received you ltch that doesn't mean you couldn't buy a handgun at the 1500. It simply means you cant shove it down the back of your jeans and walk out. Please correct me if Iam mistaken.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you require a background check for all firearms (essentially what you are doing by requiring a LTCH) transaction, then join with Dianne Feinstein in demanding the "gunshow loophole" be closed. The gun grabbers love threads like this. They can tell their buddies in the media how most responsible gun owners support the need for "common sense" gun control legislation.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

No problem. An LTCH isn't required for a purchase. It only comes up because it is the best way for people to try to verify "proper person" status of people they might sell to in a face-to-face transaction. People are looking for some way to verify they aren't selling to a felon and an LTCH means that the state has done the background check and given the okay.

Retail sales don't require an LTCH at all. They will take your information and call in a background check right there. Generally quick and painless. Most of us don't have access to that check, so we depend on the LTCH as the best equivalent.

The only (and key) difference that an LTCH makes is that it allows you to carry your handgun around. Without an LTCH, Indiana law allows you to take it home and from home to the range or for repair, but that is about it.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Just ask the magic 2 questions:

1). Are you an Indiana resident?
    2). Can you legally possess a firearm?

If they answer yes to those 2 questions, you are good to go.

Cover your neck, and ask those 2 questions. There will be ATF agents there looking to arrest people. It's happened before.

achilles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    Just ask the magic 2 questions:

1). Are you an Indiana resident?
    2). Can you legally possess a firearm?

If they answer yes to those 2 questions, you are good to go.

Cover your neck, and ask those 2 questions. There will be ATF agents there looking to arrest people. It's happened before.

This was generally my approach in years past. However, several years ago at a show in NW Indiana the other party started making a bit of small talk while finalizing the sale and mentioned heavy traffic around Chicago. At that point, I asked to see a DL and sure enough he was an ILL resident. He could have been an IN resident and in CHI on business, but wasn't. From then on, I have just asked to see a DL...never copy anything down just need a quick glance to make sure I am covered.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    I am in the same boat as saintnick81, I want to attend the 1500 to try and get my first handgun, but am still waiting for my LTCH to come back (no record just waiting on the processing). Seems most FTF sales want to see it, which I completely understand and agree with the piece of mind that comes with seeing it. Just sucks I could miss out on a good deal due to timing.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Sure can, I bought my first gun through a FTF at the 1500 years back. There's very little you NEED to do, provided you have no reason to believe the buyer is a prohibited person/out of state resident, but some people like to check CCW or write up a bill of sale.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    If you require a background check for all firearms (essentially what you are doing by requiring a LTCH) transaction, then join with Dianne Feinstein in demanding the "gunshow loophole" be closed. The gun grabbers love threads like this. They can tell their buddies in the media how most responsible gun owners support the need for "common sense" gun control legislation.

Bravo! How many don't see this.

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    +1 He is 100% correct. I've missed out on a few nice guns because I don't have, nor intend to get a LTCH. I have a gun on the nightstand for home defense, and I shoot 3x a week at the range and have no plans to carry. I used to have one back when a FFL could just record your LTCH permit no. and you were on your way. I find that you run into the LTCH requirement for purchase here at INGO more than anywhere. It's kind of like the "brotherhood's" golden handshake , or gives the seller a warm and fuzzy feeling. Heck, I even offered to meet a guy recently at a FFL of his choice to run the background check if he liked, and he still refused to sell it to me, saying he didn't want to go through a dealer. Yet he wanted me to show him my DL, LTCH, and sign a bill of sale. Maybe, he was the one who had something to hide??? I personally follow the current law and that's it, nothing more. If selling, I ask verbally: Are you a resident of Indiana, and are you legally allowed to own a firearm? In the end it's both the seller and buyers choice to do the deal.

Last edited:

Mithrandir

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IC 35-74-2

I'm no expert but even though you haven't received you ltch that doesn't mean you couldn't buy a handgun at the 1500. It simply means you cant shove it down the back of your jeans and walk out. Please correct me if Iam mistaken.

Always go straight to the source:
    1) you can take a purchase home.
    2) you can take it to a repair shop.
    3) you can take it when you move to a new location.

That's how I read it. YMMV.

P.S. Everyone should bookmark or memorize IC 35-47-2. I went the geeky route: I downloaded the PDF, saved it to Dropbox, and then added it to my favorites on my iPhone Dropbox app. I can access it any time, even if I don't have an internet connection.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Most of the tin-foil crap about LTCH and BOS was covered, but I surprised the term, "gun show loophole" didn't appear in this thread.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    All you have to get from a buyer at the 1500 is their money. Indiana law does not require you to prove residency of your buyer. Indiana law is very vague on the topic, saying that you need to have no reason to assume that your buyer is underage or unable to legally buy the firearm. If you look at the guy, and he is not wearing a t-shirt that says "I live in Georgia" or "I am a convicted felon", you can legally sell to him and all you need to get is his money.

At the show next weekend, FTF sales between individuals would be the only reason for going. Exhibitor prices are always a joke and will be even more so this time. Remember to have cash on you, a lot of it, if you intend to buy.

To all of you out there who are curious about the legalities of private transfers like I am, here are a few resources that I found from the ISP and the Indiana Code.

First the document from the ISP discussing the purchase of a handgun; it is short and poignant (it is a 2010 document). http://www.in.gov/isp/files/2010_Firearms_Purchasing_FAQ(3).pdf

Next, check out IC 35-47-2.5. Indiana Code 35-47-2.5 This is the section of Indiana code that governs the sale of handguns.

Sorry if this stuff has already been posted in this thread, but from the look of the first few pages which talked about what is legal but gave no citation to a section of code (there were exceptions so please do not get offended if you cited Code) it seemed like a good idea to gives some cites. I hope this is helpful to someone.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I don't know about ANY of YOU, but I am going to COVER my BUTT, an ANY transaction, of ANY firearm.
    If you don't want to show me a DL., LTCH, and sign a BOS, then WE will NOT be doing a transaction.....
    I still have in my possession, a BOS, from a transaction, I did in Ca., in 1980, B 4 I left the Marines. I am NOT going to take a chance on selling to someone, who cannot legally posses a firearm, and the LTCH, is the ONLY way I can do this.
    Now, if you want to go to a FFL, dealer, and YOU are willing to pay the transfer, then I will oblige you.....

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Most of the tin-foil crap about LTCH and BOS was covered, but I surprised the term, "gun show loophole" didn't appear in this thread.

Why should it? We know better. The same rules apply inside a gun show as outside of the show.

I don't know about ANY of YOU, but I am going to COVER my BUTT, an ANY transaction, of ANY firearm.
    If you don't want to show me a DL., LTCH, and sign a BOS, then WE will NOT be doing a transaction.....

No problem. I don't go that far, but it is your prerogative. Just make it clear up front as some don't want to go through that much paperwork.

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    Always go straight to the source:
    1) you can take a purchase home.
    2) you can take it to a repair shop.
    3) you can take it when you move to a new location.

That's how I read it. YMMV.

P.S. Everyone should bookmark or memorize IC 35-47-2. I went the geeky route: I downloaded the PDF, saved it to Dropbox, and then added it to my favorites on my iPhone Dropbox app. I can access it any time, even if I don't have an internet connection.

3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

I believe this rule was changed in 2011, and doesn't restrict where you are taking it.

Top Bottom