• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This thread isn't based on religion. It's based on Tyson attributing a quote to Pres. Bush that he never said, the closest thing he did say was much more eloquent, 2 years later than claimed and not for the purpose Tyson claimed. The fact the quote itself referenced religion doesn't make this thread verbotten.

And I'll defend Kirk on this......:gulp:.....pro bono ​(I think that's the term....first time I've used it).

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If this thread does get locked/trashed and/or Kirk does get banned for it, then INGO is a sad, sad little man.

mountain-or-molehill.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I don't see how this was about religion. It is about lying and politics...the politics of NDT promoting himself.

Thanks for posting it. I find the guy entertaining, but this really exposes him. Sad to see someone promoting himself at the expense of others. Like I said: Politics, not religion.

I don't think it will or should be locked.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I don't see how this was about religion. It is about lying and politics...the politics of NDT promoting himself.

Thanks for posting it. I find the guy entertaining, but this really exposes him. Sad to see someone promoting himself at the expense of others. Like I said: Politics, not religion.

I don't think it will or should be locked.

I think what's even more sad is that he doesn't need to be doing it. He's a very good scientist and has an incredible ability to actually interest people with it.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    He's going to be at University of Indianapolis next month. My wife wants to go but it's sold out. I guess I'm dumb, I've never heard of him.

Jason

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I like much of his stuff.....historical science outside of the observational and the political nonsense are weak points.

Further affiant sayeth naught.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Tyson needs to stick to Astrophysics.

And he wants to distinguish we from they.

". . . us from them," Neil, "us from them."

He also like to pontificate on the absolute certainty that global warming is manmade.

He's a either a giant doofus or a liar or both.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-by-Richard-Davies-for-Ask-Men-597x843.jpg

I find the mindless worship of this guy fairly annoying. He's an astrophysicist, yet speaks as an authority on every subject that he considers to be 'science'.

He may be the hero of the pseudo-skeptics, but most of what I hear out of his mouth is propaganda.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This thread prompted me to have a little fun with the Tyson worshipers over at Mental Floss in the comments on a article about "11 B@d@ss Neil DeGrasse Tyson Quotes".

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Just took a quick look at that article. Not only is #9 the subject of this thread, that last claim is false:

Practical advice in the event of alien contact: "f an alien lands on your front lawn and extends an appendage as a gesture of greeting, before you get friendly, toss it an eightball. If the appendage explodes, then the alien was probably made of antimatter. If not, then you can proceed to take it to your leader." From Death by Black Hole, p. 107.

Practical? Aside from the improbability of the scenario, if the alien is made of antimatter, the ship, equipment, and alien's body would have problems with our planet long before you tossed the eight ball. Not impressed.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Tyson needs to stick to Astrophysics.

". . . us from them," Neil, "us from them."

He also like to pontificate on the absolute certainty that global warming is manmade.

He's a either a giant doofus or a liar or both.

I agree...He just needs to stick to his scope of practice. An astrophysicist is not a climatologist is not a barista.

Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-by-Richard-Davies-for-Ask-Men-597x843.jpg

I find the mindless worship of this guy fairly annoying. He's an astrophysicist, yet speaks as an authority on every subject that he considers to be 'science'.

He may be the hero of the pseudo-skeptics, but most of what I hear out of his mouth is propaganda.

THIS!!!! He's a really great astrophysicist, and he needs to stick to it.

Top Bottom