Neighbor complained about shooting, threatened to call Sheriff, LAKE COUNTY question!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The president of the Lake County board of commissioners sent me the actual shooting ordinance. While I am LEGALLY fine according to the law, I will try to reach a reasonable compromise with my neighbor, I won't shoot before 10am. That is my compromise. I will continue to shoot. I just won't start before 10am. If he doesn't like it he can move. I have the law on my side. The other neighbors are also on my side. There was shooting going on in the back yard 3 doors down from last evening. And 2 days ago the neighbor on my other side was shooting in the morning. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I've been shooting on this land for 20 years and this is something that I do, have done, and will continue to do.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    The president of the Lake County board of commissioners sent me the actual shooting ordinance. While I am LEGALLY fine according to the law, I will try to reach a reasonable compromise with my neighbor, I won't shoot before 10am. That is my compromise. I will continue to shoot. I just won't start before 10am. If he doesn't like it he can move. I have the law on my side. The other neighbors are also on my side. There was shooting going on in the back yard 3 doors down from last evening. And 2 days ago the neighbor on my other side was shooting in the morning. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I've been shooting on this land for 20 years and this is something that I do, have done, and will continue to do.

I would assume that they don't work nights?

If I lived out in the sticks and me neighboor was shooting before 10am regardless of the shift I worked I would be pretty irritated.......

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I would assume that they don't work nights?
    No clue. He works in a hospital, I think (not sure, never met her) she may be a pharmacist. They are sort of an odd family, nobody in the area seems to know them. Other neighbors ask me about them and I have no clue.

Honestly he moved in here about 6 years ago. This was the first ever complaint and it started with "I'm calling the sheriff. . . "

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    No clue. He works in a hospital, I think (not sure, never met her) she may be a pharmacist. They are sort of an odd family, nobody in the area seems to know them. Other neighbors ask me about them and I have no clue.

Honestly he moved in here about 6 years ago. This was the first ever complaint and it started with "I'm calling the sheriff. . . "

Maybe it would help to ask what times they would perfer you not to shoot? They may say all the time but then at least you tried. Maybe they work nights and your shooting before 10am wakes them up??? If he works for a hospital he may work different shifts...... (rotating)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What we have here is a failure to communicate. (love that line)

The guy lacks people skills, no conflict resolution skills, is not interested in your point of view on anything, is the odd man out in your neighborhood, is an adult and will never change, she may be worse but is an unknown X factor for sure.

Make a copy of the ordinace, post it on your property line along with no tresspassing signs. I would expect next he will go after you for loud noises.

I would also make safety improvements to your backstop. Get ahead of the guy and do some simple documentation of what you do.

BTDT with a prick like this many years ago. Keep him off your property. It helped me that Family and friends were the local LEO's, but you should be proactive. Call the Sherrif and let them you know you are trying to resolve a problem before it starts. Get their input. Then they KNOW you before SHTF, not him.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Detailed in another thread, I've built a new backstop, its good enough for now but will be improved over time. I've talked to some other shooting neighbors to keep them in the loop (most folks on our road are shooters).

Trying to stay ahead of this. We know we have the law on our side, we know we have the neighborhood on our side.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Did you invite him over to shoot with you? Offer to show him what you enjoy?

Might not work, but a idea. Might earn us a new shooter.

If he is just a donkeys hind end, then tell him every time he complains, you start shooting earlier and do it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I worked nights for decades.

Never think for a minute that it can't get any worse or you have totally over whelmed him on the annoyance scale.

What goes around will probably pick up steam, be bigger, louder, and at a more inconvenient time when it comes around if he works nights or a rotating shift.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Did you ask him if that tactic worked when he moved in next to the airport?

If a neighbor (not that I have many or any that are close) comes up and talks to me and asks for some consideration, I'll let them know I'll try to give it and ask that they forgive the occasional transgression, and I'll try to make it up for them with favors of some other sort like an occasional run of the brush hog for them or the like. If a neighbor comes up and is a jerk from the start then I'll do whatever I was going to do anyway.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Did you ask him if that tactic worked when he moved in next to the airport?

If a neighbor (not that I have many or any that are close) comes up and talks to me and asks for some consideration, I'll let them know I'll try to give it and ask that they forgive the occasional transgression, and I'll try to make it up for them with favors of some other sort like an occasional run of the brush hog for them or the like. If a neighbor comes up and is a jerk from the start then I'll do whatever I was going to do anyway.

:+1:

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County

Sounds like the kind of description you hear after a serial killer is arrested. "He was real quiet. Always kept to himself. We never would have suspected it." Maybe they have someone in a pit, and don't like the attention that gunfire could bring. :D

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Perhaps it's the rapid pace of firing your neighbor objects to. If you wish to try to keep the peace, in the interests of being a good neighbor, perhaps you should do your early morning shooting with a bolt action so the gunshots aren't coming so close together.

A Mosin-Nagant may give him the peace and quiet he is seeking, while still allowing you to shoot. :D

I happen to live in southen lake county and happen to have two mosins we could shoot in battery :D one also happens to be an m44:rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    LOL, if the locations weren't mentioned I'd swear this was going on near me.

One neighbor I've never heard shoot before had a yard full of vehicles and they were shooting between the house and woods. No biggie, just a different guy than usual. This was a couple days ago.

Now today a guy across the valley from him, 1/4-1/2 mile away had a band practicing or stereo up blasting absolutely all day long. No big party or bunch of cars or any thing just bump bump bump drum solo bump bump bump drum solo bump bump bump drum solo bump bump bump drum solo .

ROTFL, this could be really funny if some one else near by was motivated to pop off full magazine tonight about 2 in the morning and then start blasting a stereo at dawn just enough to irritate and then take off so each one thought the other one was doing it.:laugh:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Sounds like the neighbor is the same guy who bought a house across I-465 from Eagle Creek Range and then complained to the City that the gunfire was scaring his kids; wanted the Range shut down. City spent something like $1.2 mil on noise abatement - didn't placate him at all. Hat's Off to the Real Estate Agent who managed to hide the Range's presence from a prospective buyer - when IPD/MCSD were shooting on the range nearly every day!!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just an update, there is a new berm built at the base of the hillside, there are new target stands built, much nicer than the old single stand I had. There is a fresh case of Tannerite in my ammo cabinet. I'm planning to initiate the new range on Saturday morning . . . but I will be nice and wait until 10am.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Just an update, there is a new berm built at the base of the hillside, there are new target stands built, much nicer than the old single stand I had. There is a fresh case of Tannerite in my ammo cabinet. I'm planning to initiate the new range on Saturday morning . . . but I will be nice and wait until 10am.
    Sounds like a nice set-up! I think we should just move the NW Indiana meet and shoots to your place. ;)

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

ThisThreadIsSuboptimalWithoutPics.gif

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In

Is this an invitation for INGO members ? maybe a group shooting match:laugh:
    the look on your neighbors face:eek:

Top Bottom