• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't know where they get the fish, but it's as good or better than Caplinger's, and that's saying something.
    Caplinger's ain't all that great, if you've been spoiled by eating at Slapfish in Westfield.

Slapfish could take Caplinger's to school on what a real lobster roll is. Like, "This is just like the ones I ate in Maine."

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Caplinger's ain't all that great, if you've been spoiled by eating at Slapfish in Westfield.

Slapfish could take Caplinger's to school on what a real lobster roll is. Like, "This is just like the ones I ate in Maine."

In my limited experience, some things Caplingers sells are excellent and some are filet-o-fish level or worse. Kind of a mixed bag, but the things they do well are quite nice.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    How can you dis an Icon like fillet-o-fish? Fun fact. Fillet-o-fish came about as an alternative for meat on Fridays during Lent. I believe the original alternative was a Hawaiian Pineapple ring on a bun no meat substitute. I think it was called the Hawaii Five O Mac or something like that (RIP Jack Lord). "Book em Danno" Anyways it didn't sell so well. People got hooked on fillet-o-fish. (Pun intended)

Now I know some of yous wise guys might say that you would rather have a pineapple ring on a bun but it wasn't very popular back in the day and it never even came close to reaching iconic status and was kicked to the curb by the delectable "fish" sandwich which is not too bad if you put plenty of tartar sauce on it.

Sorry OP for the thread jack, I'm not from around that area so I can't give any recommendations. I just felt compelled to defend the fillet-o-fish legacy. Not that it needs defending. it's on an island all by itself. (Some of you haters might say that's where it belongs.) :xmad:

Carry on.

Last edited:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    About 5 miles north of I70 in McCordsville is a mom and pop type Italian place named Kinsey's that is excellent. It kind of looks like a dive when you go in but has the best Italian food around. I always get the eggplant parm. They are very generous with the portions also. My wife and I sometimes share an order and are never left wanting more.
    https://www.kinseysitaliancafe.com/

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    In my limited experience, some things Caplingers sells are excellent and some are filet-o-fish level or worse. Kind of a mixed bag, but the things they do well are quite nice.
    I've noticed this. Fish that is sold "by name," like their salmon, is pretty good, but if you get the "daily special," it can be school-cafeteria quality.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How can you dis an Icon like fillet-o-fish? Fun fact. Fillet-o-fish came about as an alternative for meat on Fridays during Lent. I believe the original alternative was a Hawaiian Pineapple ring on a bun no meat substitute. I think it was called the Hawaii Five O Mac or something like that (RIP Jack Lord). "Book em Danno" Anyways it didn't sell so well. People got hooked on fillet-o-fish. (Pun intended)

Now I know some of yous wise guys might say that you would rather have a pineapple ring on a bun but it wasn't very popular back in the day and it never even came close to reaching iconic status and was kicked to the curb by the delectable "fish" sandwich which is not too bad if you put plenty of tartar sauce on it.

Sorry OP for the thread jack, I'm not from around that area so I can't give any recommendations. I just felt compelled to defend the fillet-o-fish legacy. Not that it needs defending. it's on an island all by itself. (Some of you haters might say that's where it belongs.) :xmad:

Carry on.
    IMHO it was a great sandwich, one of which I enjoyed many of over the years. Sadly I can barely choke one down anymore. The oil is awful that McD’s uses and the artificial crap the tarter sauce is made from has ruined it for me.

I also still yearn for the Big Mac of my youth, as it has suffered a similar fate. Make some homemade thousand island dressing at home do your best to duplicate a Big Mac, it tastes so good, that is the taste I miss

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Went to the Garage Food Hall in the Bottle Works area of Mass Ave. It's an Adult Food Court that I'll go back to. Anyone else been?
    That's a neat place. I had some Peruvian food there, very tasty! Want to go back and try the British fish & chips shop that they have there.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I would recommend The Coachman off of the IN 267 exit for Plainfield. It's a nice independent American eatery. Excellent prime rib.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Went to the Garage Food Hall in the Bottle Works area of Mass Ave. It's an Adult Food Court that I'll go back to. Anyone else been?
    I've been there once with my family. My wife and I were talking we need to go back again. It has a really nice selection of different types of food.

Top Bottom