Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This past Monday the wife and I had some business Monday morning in Merrillville. Decided to get a nice breakfast beforehand. The restaurant we were hoping to hit in downtown Hobart is closed on Mondays. We forgot that. Headed out to Merrillville and hit the IHOP. Haven't been there is a long time. Won't ever be going back. I had a denver omelette, the wife had french toast with a side of bacon, and of course coffee. Our bill was $36! I doubled check the bill to make sure. We haven't been out for breakfast in a while. That seemed expensive. And the food was ok. The thing that got me is the place was packed.
    I think this is a bit far north.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    This past Monday the wife and I had some business Monday morning in Merrillville. Decided to get a nice breakfast beforehand. The restaurant we were hoping to hit in downtown Hobart is closed on Mondays. We forgot that. Headed out to Merrillville and hit the IHOP. Haven't been there is a long time. Won't ever be going back. I had a denver omelette, the wife had french toast with a side of bacon, and of course coffee. Our bill was $36! I doubled check the bill to make sure. We haven't been out for breakfast in a while. That seemed expensive. And the food was ok. The thing that got me is the place was packed.
    I haven't been to an IHOP in decades. I feel sticky just reading your post.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Friends and Family do not suggest to friends and family to eat at “chain” restaurants in Indiana! Yuck. Find something original and chef owned. I don’t know of any restaurants that fit the OP’s selection criteria; but, I stick to my saying as aforesaid. Peace.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've been to Cooper's Hawk in Avon. The food was good, it is very expensive. I took my wife there before Christmas for a nice dinner. I didn't know it was going to be as expensive as it was. The prices are on par with Ruth Chris or St. Elmos.

Sal's in Plainfield is where I usually take my wife for celebration dinners. Great place, really good food.
    Exactly the reason I haven't been to Cooper's Hawk.

kim-kardashian-money.gif

And I agree, I like Sal's. Great for a dinner out and lots of varieties of Italian dishes on the menu and pretty good even for pizza takeout (cheaper to call and order than it is on their website -- and you can use their coupons from http://www.pinpointperks.com/partner/pinpointperks/business/3095-sal-famous-pizzeria

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Friends and Family do not suggest to friends and family to eat at “chain” restaurants in Indiana! Yuck. Find something original and chef owned. I don’t know of any restaurants that fit the OP’s selection criteria; but, I stick to my saying as aforesaid. Peace.
    :rolleyes:

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Now THAT is a tenderloin.
    I figured we were failing as Hoosiers not even mentioning tenderloins. Sadly I found that photo on google. I have a similar funny photo but cannot find it. I went into Holt's cafe (Bedford/Judah) and ribbed the cooks about how I keep hearing recommendations for their big tenderloins, so they served me with something ridiculous like the photo.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I figured we were failing as Hoosiers not even mentioning tenderloins. Sadly I found that photo on google. I have a similar funny photo but cannot find it. I went into Holt's cafe (Bedford/Judah) and ribbed the cooks about how I keep hearing recommendations for their big tenderloins, so they served me with something ridiculous like the photo.
    That photo was probably from the Edinburgh Diner and that's their regular size tenderloin... for about $10.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    30th and shadeland. about a minute north of I70 on the east side. INCREDIBLE soul food.

I work minutes from there and take vendors there when they want to take me out for lunch. One rep liked it so much he finds excuses to call me and take me to lunch.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    The coachman in Plainfield. About 30 seconds off the exit, don’t even have to change lanes. I’ve taken the wife there a couple times, it was pretty good and reasonably priced.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    30th and shadeland. about a minute north of I70 on the east side. INCREDIBLE soul food.

I work minutes from there and take vendors there when they want to take me out for lunch. One rep liked it so much he finds excuses to call me and take me to lunch.
    I've seen that place. I used to work at BMG Music but it wasn't there when I was there. It's been several different things, the last I remember being a Jamaican restaurant with a lunch buffet, but I'd like to try it. I just don't get over that way much anymore unless there's a backup on 465 when I go pick up the granddaughter and take the surface roads.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area

kim-kardashian-money.gif

And I agree, I like Sal's. Great for a dinner out and lots of varieties of Italian dishes on the menu and pretty good even for pizza takeout (cheaper to call and order than it is on their website -- and you can use their coupons from http://www.pinpointperks.com/partner/pinpointperks/business/3095-sal-famous-pizzeria
    We usually get Italian from Sal's in Moorseville. The variety isn't as much as Plainfield, and it isn't as fancy, but it is still good.

I haven't hit the one in Brownsburg yet, so no idea on that one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We usually get Italian from Sal's in Moorseville. The variety isn't as much as Plainfield, and it isn't as fancy, but it is still good.

I haven't hit the one in Brownsburg yet, so no idea on that one.
    Haven't tried Brownsburg or Mooresville. When I'm in either of those I have other favorites that I'm headed to.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

kim-kardashian-money.gif

Yep. Not everyone has Kardashian money or a big celebrity booty to make the coin to be able to dine at expensive eateries.

Top Bottom